IGNORED

How many want a 5200 version of Yar's Revenge?

BIGHMW

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy or want an Atari 5200 version of Yar's Revenge???

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

SOMEBODY has gotta put one out, one that Howard Scott Warshaw (the original designer for Yars' Revenge for the 2600) would be very proud of if someone came up with a playable (and improved and complete) 8-bit version of it that can then can be put out for the 5200, like I said I would be one of the first to order my copy, much like I did for Tempest just 2 years ago!!! Build it and we will come, simple enough!!! I don't want to downgrade to a 2600 OR even spend the $$$ on BOTH the VCS cartridge adapter AND the needed mod to use it (I own a 4-port unit).

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

I don't want to downgrade to a 2600 OR even spend the $$$ on BOTH the VCS cartridge adapter AND the needed mod to use it (I own a 4-port unit).

Dude, just get a 2600. ;) :P Don't think of it as a downgrade; it's got plenty of its own great games.

Again, IMO, I'd only be interested in a Yars game for the 5200 if it were a true sequel. My idea would be a multistage game that begins with you traveling through space and battling Qotile interceptors (think Gyruss or Buck Rogers), passing through the Neutral Zone, approaching the giant Qotile base while evading defensive turret fire, then blasting/eating your way in through the surface or finding secret entrances, and once inside, we're now in an Adventure-meets-Berzerk stage where you complete some objective(s)--steal some plans, rescue a prisoner, shut down weapons systems, etc--before setting a bomb on the reactor and getting back to the Neutral Zone before it explodes, evading interceptors and turret fire along the way (this part's easier if you shut down the weapons systems inside the base ;) ).

THAT would be a Yars game I'd want to see on the 5200.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

There's a version called Yar's Strike on the 8-bit computers; just convert that.

It's not real fancy and taking advantage of a lot of 8-bit/5200 hardware features

or anything, but at least it would simpler to convert than making a new version.

[Note: Make sure you get the last version posted, as there are some bug fixes.]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We're still waiting for a 5200 port of this classic, make it happen!!!

Here is the 8-bit port we 5200 owners are waiting to have for our systems!!!

Even if you can't put it onto a physical cartridge a ROM or .bin port will do us just fine, as long as it will work on the 5200!!!

Even if you can't put it onto a physical cartridge a ROM or .bin port will do us just fine, as long as it will work on the 5200!!!

I'm sure any of the guys that have converted all those other 8bit titles to the 5200 could convert this one too. It's only 4k on the A8. I'm curious what size it would end up after conversion?

I'm sure any of the guys that have converted all those other 8bit titles to the 5200 could convert this one too. It's only 4k on the A8. I'm curious what size it would end up after conversion?

4K seems really small for an 8bit or 5200 game. Isn't 32k the norm? Is there any practical difference between the 2600 and 8bit version?

4K seems really small for an 8bit or 5200 game. Isn't 32k the norm? Is there any practical difference between the 2600 and 8bit version?

For older games? Anything from 8k to 32k with many being 16k. 32k is actually the largest on the 5200 aside from BBSB and one or two homebrews like MULE which are 64k.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We're still waiting, somebody do a ROM for the 5200, simple physics, just simply convert the codes, it's already 8-bit-ready, my SD card on my Atarimax 5200 multicart awaits!!!

What a gamebreaker THIS would be if it came to choosing between only the 5200 or the 2600, considering the brilliant finished Keithen Hayenga-created masterpiece that Tempest became and also us having Qix also available, Qix is not available on the 2600 and having Yars' Strike on the 5200 on top of those would put this over the top!!!

I already still have the Redemption 5200 for the 7800 sticks (it also works with 2600 controllers as well), and also the CX80 and CX53 trak-balls and also Best Electronics-modded CX52 and CX24 controllers and will reacquire the Wico 5200 joystick and keypad combo as well (now that I'm FINALLY out of debt and currently working for Safeway here in Port Townsend since April), so Yars' Strike would be the icing on the cake!!! C'mon somebody put out a 5200 ROM of it!!! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Shawn said:

Best to contact one of the guys who converts A8 binaries to the 5200 directly.

Know of any who can do it, I can always try to access the original 8-bit rom or bin for him, have him either PM me or perhaps e-mail me at my Hotmail address below, Yars' Strike yearns to be played on my 5200 SuperSystem, no matter how many K it may take to convert it.

Qix, Tempest and Yars' Strike are only natural for the 5200, make it happen, convert it for all of us!!!

Ray Jackson

Yars_strike.zip

On 11/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Shawn said:

Best to contact one of the guys who converts A8 binaries to the 5200 directly.

I PM'ed Thelan, the user who did the original for the A8 back in 2014 but he hasn't been on this site in over 4 years, so I included the orignal 8-bit .zip file here and in my last post  he originally posted it in which I present to you, someone do this!!! 5200 owners want some version of it, even if it's not a souped-up version of the 2600 version. :)

Yars_strike.zip

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 8:25 PM, BIGHMW said:

Know of any who can do it, I can always try to access the original 8-bit rom or bin for him, have him either PM me or perhaps e-mail me at my Hotmail address below, Yars' Strike yearns to be played on my 5200 SuperSystem, no matter how many K it may take to convert it.

Qix, Tempest and Yars' Strike are only natural for the 5200, make it happen, convert it for all of us!!!

Ray Jackson

Yars_strike.zip 6.55 kB · 3 downloads

I'd like to see Asteroids Arcade and that improved A8 port of the 2600's Indy 500 both appear on the 5200. Both of those projects were damn impressive.

• 2 weeks later...