IGNORED

How many want a 5200 version of Yar's Revenge?

BIGHMW

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy or want an Atari 5200 version of Yar's Revenge???

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Lynxpro said:

Is there a master list of A8 conversions to the 5200? That would be helpful...

Some one with time on their hands - ought to do this.  Shouldn't be that difficult to do.  Just go through the threads with this topic and provide a link for the downloads - and do some basic research - that is, search on the Internet.  Go to the usual sites such as Atarimania, Atarimax and so on.  Should not take a great deal of time to do all of this.

Harvey

This is the list I've got from my SD card, though FWIW I don't know who converted what in the past. 

3D Tic-Tac-Toe (1980) (Atari)
Abracadabra! (1983) (TG)
Alien Swarm (1982) (Inhome)
ANALOG Multicart (1986) (ANALOG)
Anteater (1982) (Romox)
Archon (1983) (Electronic Arts)
Atlantis (1983) (Imagic)
Attack of the Mutant Camels (1983) (Llamasoft)
Bacterion! (1984) (ANALOG)
Batty Builders (1983) (English)
BC's Quest For Tires (1983) (Sierra On-Line)
Buried Bucks (1982) (ANALOG)
Captain Beeble (1983) (Inhome)
Capture the Flag (1983) (Sirius)
Caverns of Mars (1981) (Atari)
Caverns Of Mars II (1981) (Antic)
Chess (1983) (Parker Brothers)
Chicken (1982) (Synapse)
Chop Suey (1985) (English)
Claim Jumper (1982) (Synapse)
Clowns & Balloons (1982) (Datasoft)
Crossfire (1981) (Sierra On-Line)
Crystal Castles (1984) (Atari)
Demon Attack (1982) (Imagic)
Desmond's Dungeon (1984) (Sparklers)
Diamond Mine (1983) (Roklan)
Donkey Kong (1983) (Atari)
Donkey Kong Jr (1983) (Atari)
Drelbs (1983) (Synapse)
Ducks Ahoy! (1984) (CBS)
E.T. Phone Home! (1983) (Atari)
Encounter! (1983) (Synapse)
Falcon (1983) (Unknown)
Fast Eddie (1982) (Sirius)
Floyd The Droid (1986) (ANALOG)
Forbidden Forest and Slinky! (1983) (Cosmi)
Fort Apocalypse (1982) (Synapse)
FreeCell XE (2005) (Fandal)
Galactic Chase (1981) (Spectrum)
Gateway to Apshai (1983) (Epyx)
Gebelli Compilation (1983) (Solitaire)
Gunpowder Charlie (1988) (Atari User)
Heavy Metal (1988) (Page 6)
Hot Blocks (1990) (Atari User)
Hyperblast! (1983) (English)
Ixion (1985) (US Gold)
Jawbreaker (1982) (Sierra On-Line)
Jet Boot Jack (1983) (English)
Journey to the Planets (1983) (Roklan)
Jumpman Junior (1983) (Epyx)
Juno First (1983) (Datasoft)
K-Star Patrol (1982) (CBS)
Kid Grid (1982) (Tronix)
Laser Gates (1984) (Imagic)
Laser Hawk (1986) (Red Rat)
M.U.L.E. (1983) (Electronic Arts) (SD)
Mr. Cool (1983) (Sierra On-Line)
Necromancer (1982) (Synapse)
O'Riley's Mine (1983) (Datasoft)
Oil's Well (1983) (Sierra On-Line)
Pacific Coast Highway (1982) (Datasoft)
Pastfinder (1984) (Activision)
Phobos, Caverns of Mars 3 (1982) (APX)
Pinhead (1982) (Utopia)
Pitstop (1983) (Epyx)
Pooyan (1983) (Datasoft)
Preppie (1982) (Adventure Int'l)
Protector II (1982) (Synapse)
Rainbow Walker (1983) (Synapse)
Rally Speedway (1983) (Adventure Int'l)
Rampage (1987) (Activision)
Robbo (1989) (LK Avalon)
Satan's Hollow (1982) (CBS)
Savage Pond (1983) (Starcade)
Sea Dragon (1982) (Adventure Int'l)
Shamus (1982) (Synapse)
Shamus Case II (1983) (Synapse)
Speed Ace (1987) (Zeppelin)
Spy Hunter (1984) (Sega)
Superfly (2003) (Unknown)
Tapper (1984) (Sega)
Time Runner (1982) (Funsoft)
Turmoil (1982) (Sirius)
Tutankham (1983) (Parker Brothers)
Up'n Down (1984) (Sega)
Worm War I (1982) (Sirius)
Xagon (1983) (Unknown)

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One missing off that list from those I made, Dropzone (1984) (U.S. Gold)

Downloadable from here (and probably somewhere here on the forum)

6 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Capture the Flag (1983) (Sirius)
Chop Suey (1985) (English)
Claim Jumper (1982) (Synapse)
Encounter! (1983) (Synapse)
Fort Apocalypse (1982) (Synapse)
Gebelli Compilation (1983) (Solitaire)
Jet Boot Jack (1983) (English)
Journey to the Planets (1983) (Roklan)
Kid Grid (1982) (Tronix)
Necromancer (1982) (Synapse)
Rainbow Walker (1983) (Synapse)
Rampage (1987) (Activision)
Speed Ace (1987) (Zeppelin)

[Edit] This thread I think lists a lot of Steve/Classic's conversions

Sinistar was also a conversion from the A8 binary

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 2

There are 3 in the pipeline that are 'close' but each have annoying bugs:

1) Mr Do! - player erase issue

2) Stealth - plays ok but I think an issue with the music getting out of kilt at some point

3) Colossus Chess 4 - gets into a state where input is not permitted

I really need to rope in the big guns of @playsoft and @phaeron to get these over the last hurdle so others can enjoy. However they do have their own good & exciting things to be doing so I should knuckle down and have more big debug sessions, which did work for me recently in looking to get passed a circle drawing problem in the Elite code.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

2) Stealth - plays ok but I think an issue with the music getting out of kilt at some point

I really need to rope in the big guns of @playsoft and @phaeron to get these over the last hurdle so others can enjoy. However they do have their own good & exciting things to be doing so I should knuckle down and have more big debug sessions, which did work for me recently in looking to get passed a circle drawing problem in the Elite code.

Are you up for converting the A8 Yars Revenge? That would cool.

Also, is there any chance in hell that Dr. Mario is feasible to convert

to the 5200 from the A8 version? Something tells me it would be

a bunch of work and might end up needing bankswitching. That

is fine and all but really limits who can play it on real hardware.

That little 4k Yars Revenge though, I'm sure you could get that

done in 8k or 16k with ease, 32k would be a lot of empty rom

space for sure. :)

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, Wrathchild said:

I know Playsoft has been against this in the past but I seriously think anyone that's converted games over from A8 to 5200 should add their user names to the games with a simple "conversion to the 5200 by ..." and maybe throw in a version numbering scheme into it just in case updates are made to it in the future by either that coder or someone else. It would certainly make it easier to keep track of versioning and to give credit where credit is due. Of course, that's outside of any legal concerns, no matter how minimal they could be...

15 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

I know Playsoft has been against this in the past but I seriously think anyone that's converted games over from A8 to 5200 should add their user names to the games with a simple "conversion to the 5200 by ..." and maybe throw in a version numbering scheme into it just in case updates are made to it in the future by either that coder or someone else. It would certainly make it easier to keep track of versioning and to give credit where credit is due. Of course, that's outside of any legal concerns, no matter how minimal they could be...

A bunch of them already say "converted by classics" in such a reference as you are suggesting.

Actually on further review, I doubt that Wraith or his buddies would be ideal here.  I was under the impression that Yars' already existed on A8, but it does not.  Neither does Star Castle for that matter.  Those guys would be starting from scratch programming an all new game, rather than just converting the A8 version to 5200.

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

Actually on further review, I doubt that Wraith or his buddies would be ideal here.  I was under the impression that Yars' already existed on A8, but it does not.  Neither does Star Castle for that matter.  Those guys would be starting from scratch programming an all new game, rather than just converting the A8 version to 5200.

Yars does have an A8 version which is posted right in this thread along with another post showing a youtube video of it in action.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shawn said:

Yars does have an A8 version which is posted right in this thread along with another post showing a youtube video of it in action.

ohhhh, you mean this?  Ehhhhh, that's a homebrew which was basically a port of the 2600 version with minor (if any) upgrades.

• 3 months later...

Seeing as no one else took up the reins I have worked on it over the past week.

The final A8 version was supposed to have the last little bugs fixed but there were still a few in there. Probably the worst one can be seen towards the end of the video that BIGHMW posted; on levels where the shields rotate the shield characters often end up appearing on screen where they shouldn't be. There were half a dozen or so issues and I am confident I've fixed most of them, but there were a couple of one-offs where all I've been able to do is tentatively make a change that might help.

The intro screen is the drawing from here 

yars_strike.bin

• Like 8

AWESOME JOB BRO!!! THANK YOU for answering my call for a Yars' Revenge for Big Sexy!!!

Atari 2600, YOU'RE (almost) HISTORY!!!

@playsoft I have to thank you for doing this, but now I've got to get to work, I DO need the $$$ to get the A/V-modded 5200 and during the COVID-19 outbreak my job (Safeway) is open to serve all of you and keep a roof over my head too!!!

Qix, Tempest, and this, were my trifecta of must haves that would make this system stand out!!! Now to get an A/V=modded 5200 to solve the color bleed of some of the Atari ports on my multicart but finally the circle is now complete!!!

• Thanks 1

That was about as much as I could improve the program as a port. Writing from scratch you would be looking at multi coloured sprites, the shield moving up and down (like the VCS) and some nice explosion effects. It would be an ideal game for the demo coders that make all those nice swirly effects.

• Like 1

I played it on my (current, 2-port RF version) 5200 this morning, and I'll soon get better at it as soon as I get back in "game shape" (mentally). This is an awesome port that was 4 years in the making after I called for one, being so frustrated at the fact that we had both the magnificent Tempest and also the 5200/8-bit version of Qix, but never this. Even @Thelen would be proud of both you and it too!!! Never did he envision his contest project from over 10 years ago in 2009 for the 8-bit lineup would look as great as this one does, THANKS @playsoft!!! 

For all of you to enjoy, and I will be giving my review later on this week. I'll probably even post one up (a video version) later on on my BIGHMW TV YouTube channel and maybe even introduce a new playlist/miniseries on that channel where I review both 2600 and 5200 ports.

GAME ON!!!

For those of you who missed it, here once again is @playsoft's masterpiece for all of us to enjoy!!!:) 

Let's make @playsoft proud and break Cindy Margolis' record for downloads (or at least try to)!!!

Yar's Strike.bin

• 5 months later...

This Yar's Strike is excellent. Love it.

However I think the 5200 conversion needs to have a larger dead zone for centering.

I am using a Masterplay interface and the player slowly crawls up when no direction is being pressed.

(also moves up while pressing left / right.)

My 5200 is calibrated properly. I can always use the stock controller, but it would be nice to see this adjusted.

(is this the right thread to ask about a fix for this?)

Edited by Charlie_

• 3 weeks later...

How far along are YOU guys on Yar's Strike???......

I'm starting to get back my old chops I used to have in my gaming prime back in the 80s, I just now reached level 3 out-of-the allotted 8, I figure she plays better with the CX52 because currently my CX24 I prefer to use with my 7800 Redemption 5200 is having issues and needs to be traded in for 2 Best Electronics-modded ones so I don't have some issues with not being able to move left on some occasions (bubble contacts on my CX24 are wearing out on me), I already lost one of my fire buttons on one of them, I have 4 of them, all ordered brand new (deadstock NIB, through the now-defunct videogames.org on eBay back about 15 years ago), but at least I now know that when that dreaded Qotile turns into a very aggressive swirl (more aggressive than in Yars' Revenge was and certainly faster on this port) I know I need to retreat and/or get behind the Ion zone and ready my photon cannon on it once I touch it (or eat enough shield). so I can blast it into oblivion.