IGNORED

Would a regular here like to make a Joust hack for me? ($)

GoldenWheels

$250 bounty.

I am a big Joust fan, and the 7800 is one of my favorite versions.

Though I do not even own it, I am very jealous of the Colecovision version for one reason. This screen:

joust-option-screen.png&key=883fa2a529f9

I would very much like to have a 7800 version made with these options--though honestly I'm not even sure how they are incremented since I don't have the Colecovision version!

I was also hoping that color options could be included. If every item (birds/eggs/platforms/pterodactyls/lava/whatever) was able to be color swapped in a menu screen, that would be absolutely awesome. But if there was simply say a set of 3-4 complete pallet modes to switch too, that would be ok too.

So I am asking if anyone with a proven hack record (see what I did there?) mentioned in post one of this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232487-atari-7800-homebrews-and-hacks-thread/

...would like to make said hack for me. I am willing to put up $250 for your efforts. I'm not sure how you guys value your time but that is what I am comfortable spending. This is for my own fun because I love Joust, and the ROM would of course be available to all for emulation. I will not profit off of this in any way (I'm probably the only Joust fan who gives a crap!) nor consider myself to hold any rights over it so long as it is for all to share.

(Please understand I then have to get it made into a real cart here on Atari Age--no emulation is not good enough--so that's another 30$ I have to figure into my costs. If anyone wanted to do label art for it--I figured to just call it "Joust: Tournament Edition"--that would be super nice but I'm not into paying more for that, as I could PROBABLY do that simple text addition myself)

(and If you are just some nice random AtariAge user with 150 posts and programming ability, I'm sorry, but don't offer to do it. I am willing to pay, and pay ahead of time, but only for someone with a proven rep around here.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 12:34 PM, GoldenWheels said:

Thanks Kaboomer!

Sure wish Bob DeCrescenzo had grown up to be a Joust superfan instead of PacMan...though JoustManPlus hardly has the same ring to it.

That Colecovision menu screen is rather plain. One should want the 7800 rendered Joust splash screen logo to appear too, although reduced in size... I bet the YM2151 in the XM could make the audio sound more like the iconic sound cranked out of the DAC Williams used in Joust and so many of their pinball - Blackout - machines of that era...

Oh how I love Blackout. That would be the pin I would buy if I had the cah-zash...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynxpro said:

That Colecovision menu screen is rather plain. One should want the 7800 rendered Joust splash screen logo to appear too, although reduced in size... I bet the YM2151 in the XM could make the audio sound more like the iconic sound cranked out of the DAC Williams used in Joust and so many of their pinball - Blackout - machines of that era...

I don't disagree but after four years, I don't think beggars can be choosers! XD

Shoot I'd love a real "VS mode" that kept track of P1 v P2 Jousts ONLY, like a karate points system, 2 points for a "straight on" joust win, 1 point for the much easier "death from above" drop. CPU ostriches in there only to add spice to the game (maybe a vs mode with just a pterodactyl?).

4 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

I don't disagree but after four years, I don't think beggars can be choosers! XD

Shoot I'd love a real "VS mode" that kept track of P1 v P2 Jousts ONLY, like a karate points system, 2 points for a "straight on" joust win, 1 point for the much easier "death from above" drop. CPU ostriches in there only to add spice to the game (maybe a vs mode with just a pterodactyl?).

So you're gunning for a Joust Special Tournament Edition then. Do any of those features appear in any home versions of the game?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lynxpro said:

So you're gunning for a Joust Special Tournament Edition then. Do any of those features appear in any home versions of the game?

Not that I know of, sadly. Was really hoping the Colecovision menu thing would be a relatively easy thing to  "copy over".

I'm always kind of stunned that basically the best home port of an absolute classic arcade game gets very little love, but everybody somehow raves/loves about Food Fight. (Sorry Food Fight fans, I don't get it!)

Also, since the OP, I did get the hack of Colecovision Joust. It doesn't play well...certainly no better than ANY of the Atari versions (even 2600)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

It seems I can no longer edit the OP....but I am upping the bounty for what I described in post #1, combined with what I described in post #9.

The menu and options from the Colecovision version, combined with an option for a very basic vs. score attack mode. You vs another player, three rounds per "map", random map rotation available, pterrys as an on/off option, endgame score up to users (which could either count up as a dueling score or DOWN counting "lives"). Basically, the 2p game, with no CPU players, and a vs score based jousting on the opponent.

$250.00.

You'd have to be a programmer from AA who has done....something. In that case, a down payment would be totally ok with me.

32 minutes ago, Zonie said:

For $250, you could get a CV and the cart...

Well, as mentioned in post #9....I did get the CV Joust (already had the Coleco). It kind of sucks! Like so many versions...just doesn't "feel" right. Graphically, not bad though.

Besides....the 7800 is my truest of loves. Joust is one of its best games, and THE best home version ever made. Start with the best and make it better!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 5-11under said:

2016: $75

2021: $250

Multiply by the same factor every 5 years...

2026: about $800?

2031: about  $2700? Then you might get some traction.

Somebody has to appreciate Joust as much as I do (impossible)!

I know the common answer will be "well, learn to code"....but I thought at least the menu bit would be pretty easy programming. It's modifying game values via a menu screen. Values stay locked until you reset or change the values on the menu again.

The Tournament Edition vs idea only came out because...hey dream big right?

On 2/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, GoldenWheels said:

It seems I can no longer edit the OP....but I am upping the bounty for what I described in post #1, combined with what I described in post #9.

The menu and options from the Colecovision version, combined with an option for a very basic vs. score attack mode. You vs another player, three rounds per "map", random map rotation available, pterrys as an on/off option, endgame score up to users (which could either count up as a dueling score or DOWN counting "lives"). Basically, the 2p game, with no CPU players, and a vs score based jousting on the opponent.

$250.00.

You'd have to be a programmer from AA who has done....something. In that case, a down payment would be totally ok with me.

I know it's not a lot, but I'll pitch in $20 if it'll help make it happen. 

• Thanks 1

Make sure your request details why you're requesting information from the programmer,I'm only mentioning this because a new hacker will need help and you might be able to have a programmer with reverse engineering knowledge help with that information.

Edited by CloakeD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heh... this is my first foray into Atari 7800, so it's slow going. I've been trying off and on to identify the start of all the various graphics data. I've seen several places where the palette is changed as well as reading the switch states.

I've studied over the Ms. Pac Man sources before so I have some idea of what I'm looking for.

• Like 2