IGNORED

NTSC/US Colecovision use in the UK

dmcdream

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Belfast, Northern Ireland!

On a whimsical search of YouTube earlier this week, I came across a video on the ColecoVision game system. Oh what memories I have of that particular console. Including my family, there were 4 of us in my street that owned one. Sadly for me, my parents didn’t purchase one until after the height of their popularity (possibly after the “crash” I’ve heard people speak of, I’m not sure.) This made getting game cartridges very difficult, resulting in us only owning a few.

After being initially excited to see a video about the ‘ColecoVision Flashback’ game system, the reviewer didn’t seem all that impressed with not only the games included on it, but also the emulator’s sound quality.

I then started toying with the idea of getting a second hand ColecoVision, so straight to Google and eBay I went. I was actually surprised by the availability there is out there of these machines, and its many accessories. One particular eBay auction I saw, was from a seller in Mission, Tx. The starting bid was rather high. Surprisingly no bids were made. The ‘Buy It Now’ price was even more astronomical!

When I checked Facebook to see if there were any fellow ColecoVision fans out there that I could talk to, I was pointed in the direction of this forum.

Before I start looking in to getting a ColecoVision seriously, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me. I don’t claim to be overly conversant with electronical equipment. And when it comes to computers, whilst I’m no Bill Gates, I know just about enough to get by.

Here’s what I need to know:

1 – Would an American/NTSC ColecoVision work in the UK? I seen reference made to a 'step down voltage converter.' Could someone point me in the right direction for one on Amazon or eBay please.

2 – How easy is it to connect a ColecoVision to one of today’s flat screen digital TVs. I believe this is possible through a 'game system adaptor.' Again, could someone point me in the right direction for one on Amazon or eBay please. (And perhaps explain what I need to do with it.)

3 – Can I play PAL/UK/Europe/|SECAM cartridges on an NTSC/US console?

I’d be very grateful for any help you folks can offer me in finding the answers to these questions.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Kind Regards,

Allan.

1. Yes, it would work, but unless you have a TV that can accept/display NTSC signals it wouldn't be very useful. Just buy a CBS PAL version.

2. USA Colecovision systems only had RF output. I believe the PAL CV has SCART output.

3. There is no such thing as PAL/UK/Europe/SECAM/USA/NTSC cartridges with the CV. All the carts are the same, in every country. Only the console itself determines the video output, North American consoles output NTSC, UK=PAL. So if you buy all your CV games in France or the UK and play them on a USA CV they'll be NTSC. If you play those same carts on a UK/CBS CV the video will be PAL.

Yes it should work like Vectorman says, just make sure your tv can handle it. (it can all modern televisions today).

Important, you may NOT use a US power supply in UK, it will not work.

US has AC 110 to 130 Volt In, but the same out.

UK has AC 230 Volt, so you'll need a prober one to work.

As Vectorman says: then get an UK CBS version.

ColecoVision is pretty easy to set up.

Just set your RF/RCA cable to your tv, turn on your ColecoVision and search on your tv.

The CBS version will after a moment go black on screen, but just hit reset and the ColecoVision screen comes back.

You can also go for a French CBS ColecoVision, it has a Scart output signal and get a much more clearly signal.

Almost all ColecoVision cartridges are region free and can be used in almost all countries.

:)

• Like 1

OK – So the upshot is that I perhaps shouldn’t get an American/NTSC CV because it has:

1 – A different electrical current, and

2 – A different signal rate output on the TV.

When I started reading snippets from this and other forums, and watching more YouTube videos (including this one,) I quickly discovered what is a well-documented modern-day problem for the CV (and similar consoles.) Specifically, picture and sound quality on today’s flatscreen, digital TV sets. If I’m right, there are 2 solutions:

1 – (which has already been mentioned) Plugging the CV in to an RCA-to-Coax adaptor, followed by using an old RF cable to connect to the aerial outlet on a TV.

2 – “Modding” (as demonstrated in this video) the CV to accept an AV cable, using this Composite Mod Kit.

It seems to me that to overcome all these issues as simply as possible, getting a French CV would be the console to go for. Would you all agree?

With regards to the issue of SECAM, all the TVs in my home are pretty new (i.e. all purchased within the last 5 years or so.) Again, from what I’ve read, most modern TVs contain automatic circuitry that can switch between PAL-I (UK,) SECAM-L (France) and PAL-B/G (rest of Europe.)

I don’t claim to be overly conversant with electronical equipment. And when it comes to computers, whilst I’m no Bill Gates, I know just enough to get me by in the modern age. I do therefore really appreciate the time you guys have put in to answering my questions so far.

I live in Sweden, and using a US NTSC ColecoVision. It works ok on the old CRT 14" I use for it. I did mod it with a Composite av out and with a new powerswitch. I use a 100w 230v->110v converter.

As people said you can run games from NTSC/PAL games on any ColecoVision, but there is something to keep in mind. NTSC hardware can do less things between interrupts than the PAL does.

When I converted SASA, it actually had a prototype running on a PAL ColecoVision, no problems, but at the NTSC ColecoVision we saw problems, cause there was to many z80 cycles between the interrupts. The NTSC interrupts 60 times a second when the PAL does 50 times a second. So in real it means a PAL ColecoVision can have more z80 cycles between interrupts than a NTSC can. For SASA it was shown as slow downs in the UFO stage. For SASA it simply did not have time enough (cycles enough) between interrupts to convert the MSX sound to CV sound, on a NTSC ColecoVision. So that is one of the reasons its released as a SGM game only.

I live in Sweden, and using a US NTSC ColecoVision. It works ok on the old CRT 14" I use for it. I did mod it with a Composite av out and with a new powerswitch. I use a 100w 230v->110v converter.

As people said you can run games from NTSC/PAL games on any ColecoVision, but there is something to keep in mind. NTSC hardware can do less things between interrupts than the PAL does.

When I converted SASA, it actually had a prototype running on a PAL ColecoVision, no problems, but at the NTSC ColecoVision we saw problems, cause there was to many z80 cycles between the interrupts. The NTSC interrupts 60 times a second when the PAL does 50 times a second. So in real it means a PAL ColecoVision can have more z80 cycles between interrupts than a NTSC can. For SASA it was shown as slow downs in the UFO stage. For SASA it simply did not have time enough (cycles enough) between interrupts to convert the MSX sound to CV sound, on a NTSC ColecoVision. So that is one of the reasons its released as a SGM game only.

Hello Claus,

Thank you so much for that information. I appreciate the insight you've given me.

I think I'll try and purchase a French CV. I can then be assured of better sound and vision, thanks to their Scart connection. And I'll have no worries about the power supply either. All I'll really have to purchase is an EU-to-UK wall plug adaptor. All the TV sets in my home are fairly new and each is equipped with Scart ports, so hopefully I shouldn't have any problems connecting a French console.

I wanted to pick up on your reference to the CV Super Game Module. I read on www.colecovision.dk that Eduardo from Opcode Games was planning to release a new batch of SGMs in 2016/17. The website also stated that the French CV SGM version would be the last one to be built. It appears there is a slight difference with the French CV which prevents total compatibility with the current SGM releases.

• 1 year later...

Long bump but had some similar questions regarding the French RGB Colecovision.

Beyond the AC needing an adapter to run properly in NA, does the system only output 50hz regardless of territory? I'm interested in playing Colecovision in RGB but I imagine the experience suffers compared to my NA system running in 60hz. Do people still feel it's worth it? Thanks for your time!

Hi Conezays,

Thank you for looking at my AtariAge thread.

In the end, I purchased 2 NTSC/US ColecoVisions: 1 runs via an HDMI connection, and the other, via a Composite connection.

Firstly, to overcome the power supply issue, I purchased a Power Converter, from Electronic Discount in Belgium. Of course, with this converter being for the continental Europe market, I also had to purchase a UK plug adaptor, but these are very easily obtained locally.

The HDMI console is, by far, the better one. Most modern/flat screen TV’s don’t differentiate between the 50hz/60hz output, so that overcomes the second problem. If you would like to find out more about purchasing a ‘mudded’ console, I would urge you to contact Brian Burney from North Carolina. Check out his webstore: ColecoVision Upgrades & Sales.

The reason why I purchased the second/Composite console, is that the HDMI modification makes the console unable to operate ‘Expansion Module 1’. Unfortunately, the Composite console does encounter issues with the 50hz/60hz output, so I had to purchase a PAL-to-NTSC Video Converter as well. I purchased this particular unit, from Bombay Electronics of Illinois.

By the way, ColecoVision cartridges are not ‘region locked’. So, you can play foreign games, on whichever console you finally purchase (i.e. NTSC/PAL/SECAM).

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Allan.

Long bump but had some similar questions regarding the French RGB Colecovision.

Beyond the AC needing an adapter to run properly in NA, does the system only output 50hz regardless of territory? I'm interested in playing Colecovision in RGB but I imagine the experience suffers compared to my NA system running in 60hz. Do people still feel it's worth it? Thanks for your time!

Hi Conezays,

Thank you for looking at my AtariAge thread.

In the end, I purchased 2 NTSC/US ColecoVisions: 1 runs via an HDMI connection, and the other, via a Composite connection.

Firstly, to overcome the power supply issue, I purchased a Power Converter, from Electronic Discount in Belgium. Of course, with this converter being for the continental Europe market, I also had to purchase a UK plug adaptor, but these are very easily obtained locally.

The HDMI console is, by far, the better one. Most modern/flat screen TV’s don’t differentiate between the 50hz/60hz output, so that overcomes the second problem. If you would like to find out more about purchasing a ‘modded’ console, I would urge you to contact Brian Burney from North Carolina. Check out his webstore: ColecoVision Upgrades & Sales.

The reason why I purchased the second/Composite console, is that the HDMI modification makes the console unable to operate ‘Expansion Module 1’. Unfortunately, the Composite console does encounter issues with the 50hz/60hz output, so I had to purchase a PAL-to-NTSC Video Converter as well. I purchased this particular unit, from Bombay Electronics of Illinois.

By the way, ColecoVision cartridges are not ‘region locked’. So, you can play foreign games, on whichever console you finally purchase (i.e. NTSC/PAL/SECAM).

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Allan.

Edited by dmcdream