IGNORED

Burke and Burke HDD interface

Charlie_

I dug out my old Burke & Burke interface and Seagate ST225 (23mb?)

Hooked it all up and it all works great.Last time I played with the B&B setup was, maybe, 12 years ago...

HDD is loud, normal for this drive and makes "Tweeting" sounds when its seeking... I think it is an MFM drive?

The B&B interface adapts an IBM 8bit card to the coco multipak. I think the card in mine is a Western Digital.

Neat setup. :)

post-322-0-39000400-1461367872_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would you mind posting some close up pics of that Burke & Burke? I need a couple of good images of one to add to my web page listing of the CoCo Accessories. You can see it here. Right now, I just have an ad from the Rainbow.

Sure, Here is the inside, I'll photo the shell assembled tonight.

post-322-0-88518000-1462457206_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

How does it cooperate with the floppy disk controller? Can they both be active at the same time (i.e. can you copy files between the HD and FD?)?

I am more familiar with the Coco 1 than the 3, but because of the way the cartridge port was mapped into memory, only one device could be operative at a time. So, for example, no cartridge could save to disk even with the Multi-Pak.

How does it cooperate with the floppy disk controller? Can they both be active at the same time (i.e. can you copy files between the HD and FD?)?

I am more familiar with the Coco 1 than the 3, but because of the way the cartridge port was mapped into memory, only one device could be operative at a time. So, for example, no cartridge could save to disk even with the Multi-Pak.

It works the same as any computer with a floppy and HDD. You can copy between them with no issue... Floppy controller goes in slot 4 as always and the B&B in slot 3.

because of the way the cartridge port was mapped into memory, only one device could be operative at a time. So, for example, no cartridge could save to disk even with the Multi-Pak.

That is generally untrue. The Orc-90cc program pak could access disk files. It worked with a multi-pak or a y-cable.

The main feature of a multi-pak is switching the SCS and CTS signals of the Color Computer expansion to one (and only one) of the ports. This allows the programmer to choose which slot will receive those signals. Also, importantly SCS and CTS are switched independently.

For example, the Orc-90cc sets the SCS signal to slot 4, thus allowing access to the floppy disk controller. It also keeps the CTS signal in the current slot so it's ROM remains active.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I dug out my old Burke & Burke interface and Seagate ST225 (23mb?)

Hooked it all up and it all works great.Last time I played with the B&B setup was, maybe, 12 years ago...

HDD is loud, normal for this drive and makes "Tweeting" sounds when its seeking... I think it is an MFM drive?

The B&B interface adapts an IBM 8bit card to the coco multipak. I think the card in mine is a Western Digital.

Neat setup. :)

Charlie_;

Thanks for sharing the Photos and the Information...

I have heard of the Burke & Burke interface, but never have seen such nice photos.. ;)

I have only been into the CoCo for, almost 3 years, now..

I started with a CoCo 3, NIB that I got from a guy what had a Platinum //e, with monitor and printer and disks..

Since then I got a Enhanced 64K CoCo2 with the updated Video Chip ( built in Lower Case!! ), and a Standard 16K CoCo 2, with a Bonus 4K CoCo 1. I have Two MPIs, the Second one had already been modified to work on the CoCo 3. A practically New, FD-500, and another FD-500 with an In-Op Drive. And Two CoCoSDC Carts.

MarkO

• Like 1