IGNORED

Atari 5200 Serial Numbers / Timeline

Ballblaɀer

In the "5200 Serial Number Thread?" thread I linked to my spreadsheet based on AA users' posted serial numbers, but it was suggested that a new thread be started so that the spreadsheet link would be in the first post.

I plan to continue to maintain and update the spreadsheet as new users post their information, whether it's here or in the original thread.

Here's a quick FAQ on 5200 serial numbering:

Q) How are Atari 5200 serial numbers formatted?

A) Almost all Atari 5200 consoles follow this format: Two letter factory code [sometimes a dash] three digit date code [space] six or seven digit sequential unit number. For example, "EP-133 086826". Units made in Sunnyvale and Taiwan almost always have seven digit numbers. Units made in El Paso almost always have six digit numbers.

Q) What do the different factory codes indicate?

A) "SV" units were assembled in Atari's Sunnyvale, California factory (1215 Borregas Ave). "EP" units were assembled in Atari's El Paso, Texas factory (11440 Pellicano Drive). "AT" and "A1" units were assembled in Atari's New Taipei City, Taiwan factory (Tamsui).

Q) What do the date codes in the serial number mean?

A) They denote the week number and the year of manufacture. For example, "133" refers to the 13th week of 1983, "342" refers to the 34th week of 1982, and so on. Because the modern standard (ISO 8601) of week numbering wasn't adopted until 1988, there are some Sunnyvale models with a "532" date code -- this date code refers to the week ending 1982 and beginning 1983.

Q) Were the 5200 serial numbers all given out sequentially?

A) Sort of. The unit numbers are reset a few times, and each factory has their own numbering. There is some overlap between factories, but for the most part Sunnyvale units were assembled first, followed by El Paso units, with Taiwan assembling the last 5200s. I added a lot of serial numbers gleaned from eBay listings to the spreadsheet to flesh things out a bit, making it easier to see the numbering patterns and the production numbers over time.

Q) What's the story with the "asterisk" (*) 5200s?

A) When Atari switched from making 4-port to 2-port models, one of the other changes made was a board revision that allowed use of the CX55 VCS Cartridge Adapter. The Taiwan factory, however, produced some 4-port units with this new board, and they have an asterisk stamped between the factory code and date code. These 5200s end up being the most capable; they utilize the 4-port BIOS (allowing play of the entire 5200 catalog, unlike units with the 2-port BIOS) and can also make use of the VCS adapter to play Atari 2600 games.

Q) My 5200 is a Sunnyvale unit, but there are only six digits in the unit number. What does that mean?
A) Your 5200 was probably serviced by Atari and re-stickered. There may be a second sticker underneath the first, or Atari may have removed the original sticker. The reason for the service can vary, but one possible reason is that the original 4-port units could not make use of the CX55 VCS Cartridge Adapter. If someone complained to Atari about this, or even if they sent their 5200 off to be repaired for some unrelated reason, Atari may have altered or replaced the board to allow for the VCS Adapter to be used. As of now, there's no way to know for sure unless you either open the 5200 and look at the board (for evidence of the modification) or just try the adapter to see if it works.

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

So, we should post serial numbers here then so they're in one place. You already have mine though. :)

This is a great bit of research. Definitely was worth the time. Stuff like this is valuable when trying to understand design changes and the life cycle of the product.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got a Atari Inc 1983 2-port 5200, Pac-Man pack-in, serial 271466 ?? 963, I think it looks like 963 anyway, unless you know better, and also the two unknown letters in the middle.

The unknown letters are EP for the El Paso factory, and the date stamp is 363, so your 5200 would have been manufactured in late August or early September of 1983. Provided that the serial numbers are an accurate reflection of manufacturing order, yours would be one of the last few thousand to roll off the assembly line in El Paso. 271466 is the second-highest EP serial number I've seen, and 363 is the latest EP date stamp I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...

The SN on my 4-port console is roughed up but luckily still legible enough to decipher:

0145453 SV-442

So it looks mine was manufactured in Sunnyvale during the 44th week of 1982. It's also worth noting that mine's also been modded with S-video and a power jack.

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey, all --

I'm currently holding onto:

4-Port:

Sunnyvale (Atari Inc.)

0062528 SV-073

(Feb 6-12, 1983)

"2600 Adapter Mod" done by previous owner (more pics here)

4port_1.jpg

2-Port:

Taiwan (Atari Corp.)

A1 2146863 126

(Mar 16-22, 1986)

Board itself appears to be date-stamped "83.9.15-19"

2port.jpg

...and here's a pic of the family together in our "Golden Age" game room:

Setup_1.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there anything on the Trak-Ball serial numbers?

I have one with a serial number of 00249. I think it's one of the earliest ones. In one of the posts in the Atari 5200 group on facebook, we got lots of people posting their serial numbers.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I received a second 4-port unit today from a friend - bare machine, no controllers, power supply or switchbox, but hey, he threw in a bunch of games (two I didn't have, Defender and a sealed copy of Pitfall!) and it was free, aside from shipping. :D

So anyone want to venture a guess what that first digit is after the zeros? I'm gonna guess probably a "5" but could also be a "7." Looks like this one was made in Sunnyvale in the 39th week of 1982.

post-30400-0-08733800-1502145826_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...