IGNORED

Atari 5200 Serial Numbers / Timeline

Ballblaɀer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Q) What's the story with the "asterisk" (*) 5200s?

A) When Atari switched from making 4-port to 2-port models, one of the other changes made was a board revision that allowed use of the CX55 VCS Cartridge Adapter. The Taiwan factory, however, produced some 4-port units with this new board, and they have an asterisk stamped between the factory code and date code. These 5200s end up being the most capable; they utilize the 4-port BIOS (allowing play of the entire 5200 catalog, unlike units with the 2-port BIOS) and can also make use of the VCS adapter to play Atari 2600 games.

Great information! Bookmarked as well as copy pasted your OP to a Word Doc file.

I own an Atari 5200 4 port, bought brand new when the console came out. Mine is a four port and has the asterisk (*) in the serial number. I had it serviced at an Atari Service Center for a free factory notice revision which allowed the VCS adapter which I purchased at a later date. perhaps it was not even needed, meh all games including the 2600 adapter work just fine.

I had modified my 7800 console to composite, but have not done the same for my beloved 5200. Even though the upgrade will improve the picture, that single wire power/RF auto switch so unique from a lost era. The fuzz is hardly noticeable on my 32" HD Wega CRT, neat hearing the relay kick when powering up a game cart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I have A1 <blank space> 2105454 <stamped after space> 485. Looks like the unit as been re-labelled? Theres definitely a label underneath. What gives?

its probably A-T (Atari Taiwan) and May have been reconstituted from other parts from another facility shipped overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

more clues...

"...Interesting that your 5200 system is an Atari Corp. system...and they clearly weren't too careful about putting their sticker over the old Atari Inc. one. :P

Also interesting that it's a 4-port system, as it had been replaced by the 2-port system by the time Tramiel took over. It speaks to how much backstock and inventory there must have been and how much mixing-and-matching must have been done with parts, consoles, controllers, and components..."

its probably A-T (Atari Taiwan) and May have been reconstituted from other parts from another facility shipped overseas.

YEP! From an earlier post:

"...Interesting that your 5200 system is an Atari Corp. system...and they clearly weren't too careful about putting their sticker over the old Atari Inc. one. :P

Also interesting that it's a 4-port system, as it had been replaced by the 2-port system by the time Tramiel took over. It speaks to how much backstock and inventory there must have been and how much mixing-and-matching must have been done with parts, consoles, controllers, and components..."

See the double sticker:

post-46538-0-53678100-1531095415.jpg

• Like 1

more clues...

"...Interesting that your 5200 system is an Atari Corp. system...and they clearly weren't too careful about putting their sticker over the old Atari Inc. one. [emoji14]

YEP! From an earlier post:

"...Interesting that your 5200 system is an Atari Corp. system...and they clearly weren't too careful about putting their sticker over the old Atari Inc. one. [emoji14]

See the double sticker:

Definitely an A-1. The other poster is correct, Atari Corp was wrangling parts and existing inventory in a hodge podge mess. That explains the lack of continuity in the label (and the double label). I’d bet it’s covering up an Atari Inc. label from another supplier. Slap-dash. [emoji4]

Edited by atari-dna

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 2 to add to the registry:

Atari 5200 2-port console. Made in El Paso (working console)

133019 EP-273

post-9712-0-42709900-1532477298_thumb.jpg

Atari 5200 4-port console. Made in El Paso (currently non-working)

029002 EP-073

post-9712-0-13906300-1532477266_thumb.jpg

I plan on getting her up and running. After all the help on this forum, I'm pretty sure I know how to get the old girl working again.

• Like 1