IGNORED

Scramble doesn't work on Harmony Cart

Janzl

I have tried to run the Scramble roms by johnnywc from this topic (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245610-scramble-2600/) but they won't work on my Harmonycart.

I thought the Harmony could run games upto 32k or am I wrong?

If anyone has had the same problems and has solved it I would sure like to hear a tip or two ;-)

Thanx!

Yep, as per:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156500-latest-harmony-cart-software/page-1

...others in PAL land have tested the game also, but not sure if they're using emulation or Harmony I guess, so not sure if that's the real problem or not. Wonder if *maybe* it's your system then? Some motherboard revisions (Heavy Sixer and certain 7800 systems mostly) have trouble with certain games. Or defective Harmony? Have you tried the ROM on an emulator to rule out a corrupt file transfer? Or could just try re-downloading it I guess. SD card in healthy shape? I've heard of problems with FAT getting corrupt after some manipulation after a while. Have to reformat the card and re-transfer things over every great once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to run the Scramble roms by johnnywc from this topic (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245610-scramble-2600/) but they won't work on my Harmonycart.

I thought the Harmony could run games upto 32k or am I wrong?

If anyone has had the same problems and has solved it I would sure like to hear a tip or two ;-)

Thanx!

Did you get this to run?

Scramble is a DPC+ program.

There is a bug "if the DPC+ program is compiled with an older DPCplus.arm it crashes the Harmony Encore".

Instead of making sure everyone is using the newest DPCplus.arm file, the new firmware 1.06 has a "work around" so programs compiled with both old and new versions of DPCplus.arm work.

This is a problem if you are not NTSC as I don't see a version 1.06 for PAL.

I can hack an unofficial Scramble version that contains the newer DPC+ code.

I'll add it here shortly.

EDIT: This has the header hacked.

This is the NTSC one in the thread your post pointed to.

Do you have a PAL version of Scramble?

I searched the thread and nothing mentioned PAL.

Oops!

I just ran a file difference on the latest Scramble from the official thread and my hacked one here (which I removed).

They are exactly the same. My changes did not get saved.

This one IS changed and checked, and has a different DPCplus.arm header than the Scramble in the official thread.

This is still only NTSC coded.

scramble_20160106_AltDPC.bin

This build is just to test if the DPC+ header change will allow it to run from Harmony when the official build did not run.

The original "latest" build is also attached below.

scramble_20160106.bin

The official thread says he plans to incorporate a few final good feedback suggestions, so this version is not the FINAL Scramble build.

• 1 month later...

I just ran across this thread; looks like there may be some issue running Scramble on the Harmony? Has anybody had a chance to test the AltDPC build provided by ieposta (thanks!) to see if it makes a difference?

Thanks!

It would only be Harmony Encore in PAL on charter 6-Switch Ataris.

Harmony Encore with the newest firmware will run everything, problem is that Harmony Encore PAL firmware version is not out.

Too bad the orig poster did not give an update, as I really wanted to see if it was the DPC+ header!

• 4 months later...

I am so ashamed ieposta... I completely forgot to tell you that the update worked. I thought I did, but today I received a PM from you asking me if I had tried the update.

I'll pm you my home adress so you can come visit and kick me :D

I am using the old Harmony, not the Encore. I haven't had any problems with it since you posted the update.

Looking forward to the release. Its a great game and the boxart is looking awesome.

Edited by Janzl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am so ashamed ieposta... I completely forgot to tell you that the update worked. I thought I did, but today I received a PM from you asking me if I had tried the update.

I'll pm you my home adress so you can come visit and kick me :D

I am using the old Harmony, not the Encore. I haven't had any problems with it since you posted the update.

Looking forward to the release. Its a great game and the boxart is looking awesome.

That's good to hear that it worked! Mike (ieposta) provided me with the fix and it will be included in the official release at the end of the month! :)

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys. I have this Scramble ROM and the ROM for SuperCobra Arcade. SuperCobra Arcade fires the same way the vintage Parker Brother cartridge did. Bombs and bullets alternating from one button, the only button the CX40 would have. But I'm using a Logitech wireless controller with extra buttons. On Scamble, two buttons are needed to fire bombs and bullets. How would this work using a Harmony or Concerto cart and a cx40 with only one button?