IGNORED

How to use HDDriver to set up an SD card for use with SatanDisk very brief

SIO2

This is intended as a quick guide for folks who may come across a used SatanDisk and want to transfer some files from a Windows type PC to an SD card for use on their Atari ST computer.

There are more detailed resources on the web that cover all the ins and outs and potential pitfalls or alternate methods but I will try to keep this a simple and brief description of what worked for me. Your mileage may vary as they say.

First, this is for the original (now out of production) SatanDisk not Ultra Satan.

1. Have an Atari ST with TOS 1.04 or better.

2. Have HDDriver on ST floppy disk.

3. Have a 512mb SD card.

Use a Windows PC to format the SD card as FAT (not FAT 32)

Put the SD card in the SatanDisk and the HDDriver floppy in your ST and boot the ST

Switch to medium resolution if you have a color monitor.

Load HDDRUTIL.APP from the floppy.

On the Hard Disk drop down menu select Partition.

It will tell you a capacity value for your card. Enter a slightly smaller number on line 0 right hand column under heading MiB.

Click on Compatability button then next to where it says Windows check Tos & Windows

Click OK and click through the next few dialogs to complete the partition of the SD

Reboot the ST

Load HDDriver from floppy again

From the File drop down menu select install HD Driver and click OK (or whatever to install the driver on the SD).

From the General drop down menu

Next to Cache for FAT change 10 to 2

Next to Cache for Data change 10 to 2

Next to Additional Folders change 100 to 0

Click OK or whatever it says to accept/save those values

From the File drop down menu select install HD Driver and overwrite the previously installed HD Driver.

Reboot the ST.

If all went well your SD card will look like one large hard drive to ST and Windows will also be able to see it and read / write files on the SD card when you insert it into a PC.

This process worked for an Atari 1040STf with 1MB and TOS upgraded to 1.04. By default HD Driver configures without the ability to transfer files between TOS and Windows and also configures itself some nice fat caches. I assume the author had a higher end ST or a TT or Falcon. Reducing those caches will allow the smaller memory machines to run more programs.

Good luck.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread and hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

I have HDDRIVER 8.43, a 2GB CF Card and a Falcon.

I tried partitioning the card as 4 partitions with Compatibility set to "Windows" and the "TOS & Windows Combined" box checked. Byte Swapping was also checked.

After partitioning and reboot I installed the driver.

The card shows up in Windows XP and I can move files to it, but the Falcon does not see it on power up and boots the floppy instead. If the floppy has the HDDRIVER.SYS files on it then the desktop shows the four partitions, but if the floppy does not, the driver isn't loaded and the CF card is inaccessible.

If I partition the CF with Compatibility set to TOS, then the Falcon boots up fine, loading the HDDRIVER.SYS from the primary partition as one would expect, but the card is unreadable by Windows XP, making file transfers a bear.

Can I set this up such that TOS can boot from a primary partition, but one or more of the partitions are also mountable by Windows XP. Yes I know about Windows only seeing one partition on a removable device and I have the alternative Windows driver to allow for that.

Would appreciate any insights.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Graham

Reply to first post: no need to make DOS partition in Windows - not to mention that you don't "format card as FAT" - it is FAT16 in case of Atari ST, and what is to format is partition, not card. All card preparations you do on Atari. When it is done can attach to PC or MAC and transfer .

Second post: This is flaw of Hddriver that you can not make IDE (so CF card too) to be TOS/DOS compatible and to autoboot on Falcon. Windows can not handle TOS type partitions, neither TOS type partition table in MBR (master boot record).

There is other driver, still supported, with which TOS/DOS compatible partitioning is possible, and it autoboots on Falcon IDE port. http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php

This is intended as a quick guide for folks who may come across a used SatanDisk and want to transfer some files from a Windows type PC to an SD card for use on their Atari ST computer.

There are more detailed resources on the web that cover all the ins and outs and potential pitfalls or alternate methods but I will try to keep this a simple and brief description of what worked for me. Your mileage may vary as they say.

First, this is for the original (now out of production) SatanDisk not Ultra Satan.

1. Have an Atari ST with TOS 1.04 or better.

2. Have HDDriver on ST floppy disk.

3. Have a 512mb SD card.

Use a Windows PC to format the SD card as FAT (not FAT 32)

Put the SD card in the SatanDisk and the HDDriver floppy in your ST and boot the ST

Switch to medium resolution if you have a color monitor.

Load HDDRUTIL.APP from the floppy.

On the Hard Disk drop down menu select Partition.

It will tell you a capacity value for your card. Enter a slightly smaller number on line 0 right hand column under heading MiB.

Click on Compatability button then next to where it says Windows check Tos & Windows

Click OK and click through the next few dialogs to complete the partition of the SD

Reboot the ST

Load HDDriver from floppy again

From the File drop down menu select install HD Driver and click OK (or whatever to install the driver on the SD).

From the General drop down menu

Next to Cache for FAT change 10 to 2

Next to Cache for Data change 10 to 2

Next to Additional Folders change 100 to 0

Click OK or whatever it says to accept/save those values

From the File drop down menu select install HD Driver and overwrite the previously installed HD Driver.

Reboot the ST.

If all went well your SD card will look like one large hard drive to ST and Windows will also be able to see it and read / write files on the SD card when you insert it into a PC.

This process worked for an Atari 1040STf with 1MB and TOS upgraded to 1.04. By default HD Driver configures without the ability to transfer files between TOS and Windows and also configures itself some nice fat caches. I assume the author had a higher end ST or a TT or Falcon. Reducing those caches will allow the smaller memory machines to run more programs.

Good luck.

Does this workaround work with ICD's Hard driver too?