IGNORED

What happens to your collection after you die?

after my heart attack last year i thought it was time to start making a few preparations for my demise, amongst all my former foster kids only one expressed any interest and that was in a megadrive + games and "anything else i can flog", suffice it to say i think one of my megadrives is faulty he can have that, the person handling my estate has been getting dripfed instructions for certain items that will go on ebay and stuff thats not worth much will go likewise, the rest can go to a computer museum for anything they want anything left over will also go onto ebay, all i can hope is that some of my rarer stuff makes another collector / gamer happy and doesn't just sit unused on someones shelf to look at occasionally, but i'll be gone so i wont care either way.

If my girlfriend (and likely by the time I die, wife) is still alive after I pass, then it goes to her (and we talked about it, it's also vice versa for her collection). If we both die at the same time, it'll go to one of my close collecting friends in my hometown.

Whatever happens , I haven't given it any thought. Probably it would get divided among my 2 boys if they wanted it, the rest pitched or sold somewhere. I don't think it would be a pressing issue if I died unexpectedly!

Maybe I should make a detailed will. If I die, and if my life insurance pays out bigtime, then my sons or future grandchildren can get a share only if they fulfill these requirements:

1. Play and finish Tomb Raider, Earthworm Jim on hard, and Shenmue.

2. Play the following list of Atari 5200 games and achieve minimum score requirements, using stock sticks ... (list to follow .. will probably include GORF bwuahaha)

3. Clean my 5200 sticks every year whether you use them or not.

• Like 5

4. play 7800 games only with ProLine-controllers... :skull:

I already tortured my kids with Double Dragon for the 7800 using the original controllers it was a magic experience as a parent to see them rub their hands and then go...where is the pause button ha ha. Get back to playing slaves.

Actually they made it about 30 minutes with those then stopped and I had to explain that back in out day playing a game was a serious commitment not like todays games. This also limited how much time you played in a week since it did take time for the blisters to heal. One would almost wonder if parents had some input into the controllers design. :?

So with that said my 7800 stuff will probably be ritually burned.

Edited by Professor Gull

• 2 weeks later...

@HoshiChiri: So your boyfriend is not supposed to visit this site until you no longer are alive? Perhaps if you introduce him to the wonders of retro gaming and collecting a bit sooner, and show how many other, perfectly normal people (haha!) are doing it, he would take up the hobby in your honour. Once you're married, and unless your collection is featured in a prenuptial agreement, you'll share it anyway.

Speaking of which, what does actually happen with belongings and resources that are part of a prenup, in case of death with no own siblings? Does a testament override a prenup agreement?

Edit: According to this page, a prenup tends to take precedence over a will. Interesting to know.

http://info.legalzoom.com/prenuptial-agreement-priority-over-last-testament-4741.html

Edited by carlsson