IGNORED

AtasciiTube

Kirkman

Hi everyone.

I've been working on a project I'm calling AtasciiTube. It's a HTML5/JS app to play for ATASCII animations.

I'm still refining the code, but it's working pretty well so far. Check it out: http://breakintochat.com/collections/atascii.

Also, I want to send out a plea to anyone who saved any ATASCII animations from years ago. I have found quite a few, but I know there have to more out there.

If you were an 8-bit sysop or user back in the day, or maybe you dabbled in creating these animations yourself, please give me a holler! I'd love to add any animations you can send me.

Edited by Kirkman
  • Like 10

Diagnostic mode looks cool, too.

Thanks! It does a few undocumented things like stop the animation on [esc] and then step through frame by frame with [right arrow]. I needed a way to debug the rendering routines. But it's fun to just watch the way the cursor moves around.

• Like 1

Kirkman - this is a really cool project... Trying to find people who can find ATASCII drawings/animations from back in the day is the right way to go (in my opinion) ... There was a vibe back then that doesnt exist today - mostly a piracy/courier/hacker vibe and that would always comeout in the screens and animations.

To see something current day - "hello have you hugged your atari in 2016" even if it does have some kind of never before seen animations going on just isn't is cool (again, to ME) as the original stuff during the day was...

I would very much like to see any and all you collect...

I don't have time to check these but they are all I have, I'm sure most will be dupes but hopefully one or two will be new

Paul..

Thanks so much for sharing those. At first glance they look like duplicates, but I have noticed that sometimes even duplicates have differences. I'll take a closer look later.

I don't have time to check these but they are all I have, I'm sure most will be dupes but hopefully one or two will be new

Paul..

I scanned my entire collection for anything with those file extensions, and have nothing to offer. Sorry.

I enjoyed that - I remember doing a few Atascii animations way back when. I still think it's a fun way of story telling.

I agree. Some of these are really awesome. Tom D'Ambrosio did some great work.

Do you still have any of your own animations?

I don't even have the code for anything I've written between 1985 to about 2015, from the ti-994a to the palm pilot to iOS and Android apps.... I'm the opposite of a pack rat.... The only time I haven't lost something is if I happened to copy it to the Internet... The Internet forgets nothing :)

I'm working on a snake clone now... I swear I will copy that to as post haste... Lol

Wish I did have those old Atascii anims but they were nothing special, mostly trucks crashing and making fun of Commodore

I haven't looked at the code yet but how difficult do you feel it would be to tie the file read/write into something like say telnet.js? And in your development, how hard would it be to send bi-directional atascii back and forth into a file or telnet socket?

I haven't looked at the code yet but how difficult do you feel it would be to tie the file read/write into something like say telnet.js? And in your development, how hard would it be to send bi-directional atascii back and forth into a file or telnet socket?

Sorry, I missed your reply!

I don't really understand sockets and stuff, so I'm not sure how to answer your question. Can you describe more concretely what you want to do? You might also take a look at the source to SyncTerm, a telnet client which can properly display ANSI, ATASCII, and PETSCII.

My app is limited in scope to a very specific use: displaying ATASCII animations on an HTML5 canvas. In terms of file/IO, I'm just reading a text file and parsing it byte by byte. The parsing is the main thing I've been working on ... trying to emulate the way Atari's text console works.

• Like 1

Sorry, I missed your reply!

I don't really understand sockets and stuff, so I'm not sure how to answer your question. Can you describe more concretely what you want to do? You might also take a look at the source to SyncTerm, a telnet client which can properly display ANSI, ATASCII, and PETSCII.

My app is limited in scope to a very specific use: displaying ATASCII animations on an HTML5 canvas. In terms of file/IO, I'm just reading a text file and parsing it byte by byte. The parsing is the main thing I've been working on ... trying to emulate the way Atari's text console works.

Yeah, the problem with SyncTerm is that it's a standalone SDL program while HTML5 canvas is in every modern web browser. The idea here would be to use something like websocket to a server side telnet/ssh daemon if not javascript sockets/telnet.js to talk to a online Atari BBS. There are plenty of ANSI terminal emulators on the web due to linux shells, what I'm looking to do is make an ATASCII terminal emulator using your code so that it could talk to a online Atari system and conceivably be the front end to a modern day ATASCII based BBS (with or without 6502 representation).

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone.

I've been working on a project I'm calling AtasciiTube. It's a HTML5/JS app to play for ATASCII animations.

I'm still refining the code, but it's working pretty well so far. Check it out: http://breakintochat.com/collections/atascii.

Also, I want to send out a plea to anyone who saved any ATASCII animations from years ago. I have found quite a few, but I know there have to more out there.

If you were an 8-bit sysop or user back in the day, or maybe you dabbled in creating these animations yourself, please give me a holler! I'd love to add any animations you can send me.

I created a bunch of animations back in the day that were posted to friends BBSs. Unfortunately, I no longer have them :( I really should grab an editor and make a few more. They don't take much time and I'm always looking for creative projects.