IGNORED

ADAM IRC Server

plbyrd

Hello!

I've set up an IRC server on the Adam Wiki server. You can now chat at irc.adamwiki.info on port 16667. Please notice the port is NOT 6667 as that port is banned by GoDaddy's VPS hosting.

I will try to always have the room #ADAMChat up and running for you guys. Feel free to open other rooms as you see fit.

• Like 1

So you're asking a bunch of forumites to visit an IRC chatroom? That usually doesn't work, because forums work asynchronously and people get used to the idea of posting now and checking back later. The best proof I can provide is the constant near-emptiness of the AtariAge forum's chatroom.

My recommendation: If you want people to come and chat, set a date and time to make it an event that people can mark down on their short-term agenda (because people are busy, you know). An IRC chat session should also have a subject, although usually the discussion goes off-topic pretty quickly, which is perfectly alright if the real goal is just to get people together.

Just my 0.02$. :)

In my experience with the CBM community the IRC channels are places where people drop in and stay logged on. If they have time to chat, they do. If not, their IRC client logs the activity and they come back and read it later. The guys on Lemon64 are just as much forumites as the guys here, but many of them find the time to drop by #C64Friends on Freenode and chat for a while.

• 1 year later...