IGNORED

Nes Stadium Events MIB for 72k on ebay

I looked on ebay and stumbled on Nes Stadium Events for 72k. It was a auction on ebay that I saw made by Dreamtr! I really never heard or gave a shit to know who he really was or was about,however once I noticed the price of this game and what his asking price was,I totally lost it! There is no way that even a mint or new copy of a North American NTSC copy of nes Stadium Events can get up to 72k. It didnt sell,nor did I expect it to.

Sure my offers were small,but that was just to test out what his reserved rate was.He said he wouldnt do less than 50,000 usd,lol. There is not a person out there,not even a filthy rich person would pay that price. What do you think a fair price would of been?

Fast Reply

Full Version

Didn't one sell for $10-$12k a few years ago, when it was supposedly the "first" to be found in a while? Then another and another... just saw a documentary on Netflix where this guy from Canada set out to find every NES game released (not using the interwebs) and found himself not one, but two different Stadium Events available for sale. One was loose, the other CIB and the same guy who had a CIB version also had one NIB that he was keeping for his own collection IIRC. I want to say the figure for loose was somewhere around $4k, but he ultimately passed on it because he wasn't confident it was authentic. Made some kind of deal for the CIB example from the guy that had another copy or two IIRC!

Since then, there's been a case of sealed ones found. :ponder:

Well, it was repackaged as 'World Class Track Meet' is the thing - which is a common game. So people are paying for the label and some changed graphics/title text in the Stadium Events version. And the "history" behind the whole debacle I guess. :lol:

Thousands of dollars though? W_T_F ?!?

It's a really big thing to the NES "complete set" collectors, which apparently there are a lot of... Many more than Atari collectors.

But, yeah, that price is too high. They have gone in the 5 figures at times, but now more of them are showing up and they've crawled back to 4 figured it seems.

Edited by R.Cade

Since then, there's been a case of sealed ones found. :ponder:

Yeah, apparently these people are not aware the "value" of their game has just tanked:

Sealed case of nes Stadium events found!

After years of waiting...it is here and it's beautiful!

I know those stories were posted elsewhere already, I'm just too tired to search, also I believes it's cases and not just one case that was "found".

• Like 2

I know those stories were posted elsewhere already, I'm just too tired to search, also I believes it's cases and not just one case that was "found".

Here is another thread discussing Tim Atwood's stash of EIGHTEEN SEALED COPIES of Stadium Events, which I first heard about on the #CUPodcast. He's reportedly sold twelve of them already, which means that there are twelve sealed collectors (out of a group that was pretty small to begin with) who won't be competing for a copy of Stadium Events any more. That's bound to drive the prices downward, and in the process, wreck the "investments" by the hoarders who are holding multiple copies of rare games and driving up the prices for everyone else. That's reportedly the very reason that Atwood is putting these games on the market again.

• Like 1

Here is another thread discussing Tim Atwood's stash of EIGHTEEN SEALED COPIES of Stadium Events, which I first heard about on the #CUPodcast. He's reportedly sold twelve of them already, which means that there are twelve sealed collectors (out of a group that was pretty small to begin with) who won't be competing for a copy of Stadium Events any more. That's bound to drive the prices downward, and in the process, wreck the "investments" by the hoarders who are holding multiple copies of rare games and driving up the prices for everyone else. That's reportedly the very reason that Atwood is putting these games on the market again.

I think it was 36, not eighteen, six sealed cases with six games each. But 18, 36, doesn't really matter, what does matter is this game is no longer "valued" at what it used to be.

Nah, it's the Mario 3-in-1 for me. Honestly I hope a whole warehouse full of Stadium Events is found, pallet after pallet, row after row, giant cardboard gaylords stacked three high, so that it becomes shit common and boring like World Class Track Meet. The stigma surrounding this game is ludicrus. If there is some secret stash of these, I would love for them to get loose...

Five figures for any video game is stupid, when said money will buy a car or down payment on a house.

• Like 2

Nah, it's the Mario 3-in-1 for me. Honestly I hope a whole warehouse full of Stadium Events is found, pallet after pallet, row after row, giant cardboard gaylords stacked three high, so that it becomes shit common and boring like World Class Track Meet. The stigma surrounding this game is ludicrus. If there is some secret stash of these, I would love for them to get loose...

Five figures for any video game is stupid, when said money will buy a car or down payment on a house.

Production was stopped altogether and it was rebranded after 200 or so copies were made(thats the campfire story). So that's fairly unlikely. Although I agree with you it would be nice to be able to complete collections for much less than it costs now. Collectors who are in it for the hobby don't give a fuck what its worth(mostly),its the resellers who strive to keep the price as high as possible and people who look at games as an investment in their future.

Production was stopped altogether and it was rebranded after 200 or so copies were made(thats the campfire story). So that's fairly unlikely. Although I agree with you it would be nice to be able to complete collections for much less than it costs now. Collectors who are in it for the hobby don't give a fuck what its worth(mostly),its the resellers who strive to keep the price as high as possible and people who look at games as an investment in their future.

I believe there were more than 200 sold. That would put SE slightly more common compared to the NWC if you believe there are exactly 26 or 27 golds and 90 greys. It's been confirmed that many past Nintendo employees took home gray NWC carts in addition to the 90 contest winners and the 26 special promotion golds. All those gray NWCs presumably confirmed to have been owned by former Nintendo staff are all in addition to the 90 or so given away to contestants.

I've got a question regarding the recalled Stadium Events carts. Did Nintendo have hard release dates back in the day, or did stores simply put them out as they arrived off the truck? Could be if Stadium Events was recalled after stock left the factory, but before the official launch date, then very few retailers may have broken street launch dates by selling copies before the mandatory recall. Or was Stadium Events released in a "test market" like how Nintendo first rolled out the NES regionally starting in 1985? IMO such a staggered regional launch schedule would have been dumb later in the NES life.

I believe there were more than 200 sold.

did stores simply put them out as they arrived off the truck?

Or was Stadium Events released in a "test market" like how Nintendo first rolled out the NES regionally starting in 1985?

In my 15+ years of collecting this was the number that was constantly thrown out. I don't know anyone who could give you an exact number though.
My guess is they would stick to a release schedule set by the publisher(in this case December 23rd 1986),but back then it wasnt as regulated as it is now so who's to say if some vendor put the game out early(or never?...)
The test market theory I believe has been mostly debunked as they have been found all over the U.S and not one area like the Hudson Valley holds an inordinate amount of them. If 30 or 40 copies are found in the future in a box somewhere in Boise Idaho then I might be more inclined to entertain that theory.
Edited by Berial

Well 200 may have been sold, but the supposed sealed six pack recently revealed hidden in epic collection by Atwood was clearly not sold through typical distribution channels. If one exists, there are more.This dude collects sealed distributor packs (freaking unreal) and a search of sold listings on eBay by this user shows he has been quietly dispersing sealed games on eBay for some time now. I imagine he has made a sweet return on his investment over the years...

Yeah, apparently these people are not aware the "value" of their game has just tanked:

After years of waiting...it is here and it's beautiful!

Did NintendoAge steal their nick from AtariAge? Wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by high voltage

Dream is fully aware of the value and the value was never 72k anyhow. He only has it priced high for traffic.

post-25078-0-13195900-1462463623_thumb.jpg

On a side note the value of this game has not tanked. There are no new available copies for purchase, so the value never changed. This hobby was so much better before it turned into being all about money. I have slowly been selling every rare/semi-valuable game. I still have a few gems but most my high end sealed have been dumped and so have most of my high end cart onlys. It is a bit harder to dump my boxed games especially rpg's w/maps and such.

This has turned into a rich mans hobby. Someone like me has no use for a game on my shelf that people will pay hundreds even thousands for. It's hard to not just dump everything and be debt free. I can't wait till it is about collecting again.

• Like 1

Dream is fully aware of the value and the value was never 72k anyhow. He only has it priced high for traffic.

attachicon.gifdtr.jpg

On a side note the value of this game has not tanked.

Well until a new sealed copy actually sells, no one can say for sure. Maybe it only goes for 5k. Maybe in a year no one gives a shit about SE and it turns in to a fucking beanie baby.

Well until a new sealed copy actually sells, no one can say for sure. Maybe it only goes for 5k. Maybe in a year no one gives a shit about SE and it turns in to a fucking beanie baby.

Please don't confuse sealed and Complete now. Sealed has zero bearing on a Complete value.

I however agree with hoping the value drops "across the board". To me Stadium Events is just a label variant anyhow. It's a bad game IMO and besides the label and title screen is very common. WCTM will do just fine for me.

Please don't confuse sealed and Complete now. Sealed has zero bearing on a Complete value.

I however agree with hoping the value drops "across the board". To me Stadium Events is just a label variant anyhow. It's a bad game IMO and besides the label and title screen is very common. WCTM will do just fine for me.

Well considering cart-only sold fot 12k just last year, it's utterly rediculous. Stadium Events actually has a lower margin for CIB or sealed because the cart only price is already so high that very few people can pay it. If the sealed price tanks to 5k because six sealed copies suddenly appear on eBay, then so be it. The cart only value will have to take a nose dive as a result. Last year had some volitiliaty as well when numerous collectors sitting on a loose or CIB SE decided to let it go because nobody keeps that kind of 10k+ cash just lying around. on their shelf.

And that NA thread was a good read IMO. People stating the distributor 6-pack should remain sealed because it is potentially one of a kind are nuts. If someone could split it and bank 20k on each piece, why not? No way he'll VGA the whole six pack as uncirculated or otherwise sell the entire box. Nobody is paying 100 grand for that (though I'd trade him a candy bar for it but I doubt he'd accept my offer! :grin:) I could see it being worth about 50 grand as a box then immediately the buyer open up the cart to resell them. The empty box might be worth some extra pocket change though.

To me, the stigma and hyper inflation of Stadium Events marks everything wrong with the hobby IMO. It's worth no more to me than the Mario/DH/WCTM 3-in-1 I currently own, which is actually nicer because it's got decent game on it. Also why is Stadium Events getting more hype than NWC gold or gray, which IMO is a wonderful piece of historical memorabilia. That's where the real holy grail is, not some recalled POS sports game that should have been buried with the ETs and Pacmans.

And I can voice my opinion here without fear of repercussion. NA is a good community for what it is, once you weed out the elitism and trolls, you've got a nice bunch of guys left. But let my post counts here and there decide. I collected Nintendo for ten years before I touched Atari, yet I have thousands more posts here. And I don't care if the whole "they stole the -Age from AA" thing and claimed it as their own, along with their rarely talked about sister site SegaAge. This is almost as bad as the AA vs Digitpress wars from years ago which I somehow missed out on.

Why can't we just all be friends? :waving:

• Like 1

NA while it is a very informative site is too full of hypocrites. I could not play well with people on that site. they pissed me off so much... then again I have mellowed out a lot since I was a member there, but still. The whole it is ok as long as the elite say it is ok is what really pisses me off.

If someone "elite" does something it is ok. If someone not known does it BANNED! It's a joke over there. I still remember when I was a member the biggest shit storm started because I wanted a modded ps2, bunch of BS. A powerpak or "certain" repro is perfectly fine though. The other thing that created hell was I made a thread asking for DVD TV sets and it was deleted because it wasn't video game related. Seriously wtf is wrong you people over there.

Does it really hurt your day for a thread to exist about me asking for fn dvd's? Then they will make it out like I was such a piece of shit and horrible person and I was banned for "extreme" reasons. Yeah the extreme reason being they are a bunch of assholes. Anyone who thinks NA is friendlier than AA has not been on either site long enough to know better. AA is the friendliest gaming site I have been a member of.

end rant....

Anyhow back on track. I could see if enough sealed copies of SE were released it could harm CIB but I do not see that ever happening.