IGNORED

Manic Miner released!

Tezz

That really is a great conversion. Its just so sad that all this new software wasn't available back in the day as I think the Atari would have stood up a lot stronger against its rivals.

Anyway....decided to try and make a cassette of this port.....check out my handy work below. Also included a short video of the game loading via the Rambit system. Enjoy!

Thanks, the homemade cassette with the original Bug Byte cover is great. Just one thing to edit, the game requires 64Kb :)

I'll try and make some time to put a cassette loader together with the animated logo like the original.

Thanks for all the further comments, it's great to see the game released and being played. I agree that it's better to play games through without cheating and enjoy the challenge. The games generally don't really hold much interest when you cheat :)

• Like 2

I've been playing this for about a week now and it plays very well. I've had a few sessions, and I've made it up to "Return of the alien Kong beast"!

I'm determined to get as far as I can without watching any walkthrough videos.

Well done :thumbsup: there are some difficult caverns from that point onwards.

• Like 1

Thanks, I noticed the new HSC banner :)

Tezz: add to your game DataMatrix generator with hiscore to make publish hiscore on the web easier and convenient :-)

look: https://github.com/pfusik/datamatrix6502

example: http://xxl.atari.pl/download/DCXE.ATR

http://xxl.atari.pl/hsc/hsc-deathchase-xe/

ok, I'll take a look at that now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi ,I am over the moon this has been ported to the atari xl/xe it should have been done back in the day.Atari's would have been more popular or at least be side by side with the c64

I noticed there was no jump sound like on the speccy ? But the music is more pleasant to listen to on this atari conversion.I love how the music gets faster and faster when watching the screens scoll through

• 9 months later...

hello, I'm new to Atari 8bit hardware and I wonder how zx spectrum screen was emulated in this game. Also i've seen saboteur1 prototype. What screen mode was used? Is there used interrupt generation on each line to change colors/sprite parameters? Is there use of cpu cycle accurate routines to change colors / sprite parameters in the middle of line?

And why this game won't run on 800xl?

Edited by bigral

hello, I'm new to Atari 8bit hardware and I wonder how zx spectrum screen was emulated in this game. Also i've seen saboteur1 prototype. What screen mode was used? Is there used interrupt generation on each line to change colors/sprite parameters? Is there use of cpu cycle accurate routines to change colors / sprite parameters in the middle of line?

The Atari's hi-res mode is 320 pixels, 200 lines (well up to 239 if you wish), but only 1bpp, so monochrome. The extra colours are provided by using Player/Missile (sprite) overlay/underlays. The colour is simply ORed.

I am not familiar enough with the code to know if mid-scanline changes are done.

Why shouldn't it run on an 800xl?

For the colors.... The Atari is based on NTSC color generation. This means, it doesn't create colors in hires directly. Due to the limits of NTSC, the creators decided to use a color generation at 160 pixel width. The only possibility to change the chroma value for 2 pixels in hires is to use the Play Missile graphics (or direct color register writes , which is a huge waste of CPU. Suitable for still images, but not for games) . In hires it changes the background and the color always to the same chroma value , while luma can be used separately.

The best way to create colorful screens there, is to use the PMg in Shapes. This means to set the form directly to the registers of "used bits", width, and position, and to use that via DLI for several lines. This costs as much as changes were wanted on the screen.

It's a kind of color attribute as on the spectrum, with more limits but also some benefits.

summary is: PMg (player/missile graphics) used to add colors to hi-res mode (2 colors), each line generates interrupt for change colors of PMg, cycle accurate routines used to change colors of PMg in the middle of screen.

Almost right. As I wrote above, the cycle accurate routines weren't useful for games, as they waste too much CPU. It is great for still images.

PMg can simply be set via DLI, no cycle accuracy needed.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Tezz!! I am still playing this marvel on my Atari FPGA computers :) It has become a system's essential for me.

Any news on the version with sound FX?

Sorry I totally missed your comment in February. I had a break from things for a few months at the time. I should get back to sorting that out at some point. I've started getting back into the various projects again the past couple of months.

Edited by Tezz
  • Like 1

I actually got to meet Matthew Smith in person yesterday at the expo. It was a great day overall. I chatted for a few minutes with Matthew at the end of his Jet Set Willy talk about bringing Manic Miner to the Atari which was the platform that inspired the creation of the game originally and he talked about his appreciation of Bill Hogues work mentioning that he'd disassembled Miner 2049er back in the day. I also met and spoke to one of the developers of the Sam Coupe release of Manic Miner.

During the rest of the expo I spoke at length with David Pleasence the former Managing director of Commodore UK including his meeting with Jack Tramiel. It was a real eye opener about what was happening behind the scenes. I bought his book on the inside story of Commodore.

• Like 7

Must have been great to meet Matt, I heard he was very elusive in the past, a real one of a kind guy (in a good way)...Top man for his games too. Fun to hear he had disassembled Miner 2049er, he knew a great game when he saw one :)

I miss all the events etc, were just lovely to chat to the hero's and industry figures, you clearly had a ball.

Glad to hear it...

• Like 2

Must have been great to meet Matt, I heard he was very elusive in the past, a real one of a kind guy (in a good way)...Top man for his games too. Fun to hear he had disassembled Miner 2049er, he knew a great game when he saw one :)

I miss all the events etc, were just lovely to chat to the hero's and industry figures, you clearly had a ball.

Glad to hear it...

It's always great to get the chance to chat with people at these events. I've had the opportunity to meet so many people over the years. It's a shame that certain people in the industry treated Matthew so badly back then.

I used to attend the old PCW shows in Earls Court in the late eighties up until 1990, we might well have crossed paths at some point in the past Paul.

We probably did, I loved the PCW shows, the Trade Show that was at The Angel and things like the Commodore show at The Novatel in Hammersmith so there's every chance we crossed paths. We had some fun at the shows as I've said in the past, the Gremlin stand being a fave along side The Virgin stand which got visited by our group, poor old Stuart Campbell (Jurno of note) used to run when he saw :)

But yeah, great times and really nice to meet some of our biggest heroes and actually talk over a drink with them.

Shame about Matthew, such a talented guy, nice to see he's been so sought after and enjoying being in a good light now..Iconic work for the Speccy...

Shame the shows are almost dead, apart from my groups pranks it was just nice to meet people from newsgroups, irc etc and actually SEE the people in the FLESH, runs to avoid posting a rant about social media and mobile phone use :)

Take care Tezz...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Commodore 64 users got re-creation of Manic Miner (64DX), that's supposed to be closer to ZX Spectrum original than what they had back in the era:

Nice, but for me it's definitely missing incredible music by Miker that we have in Tezz's conversion ?

Edited by Jacques
typo