IGNORED

Creating an Action! cartridge

Not to sound like an ad for Atarimax but I just created an Action! cartridge using the maxflash device and it was real easy and cheap. With Action! cartridges going for some ridiculous prices as of recent to make one for about $25 was nice.

Here is my blog on the process:

http://8-bitretrocomputerguy.tumblr.com/post/143402124019/creating-an-atari-8-bit-action-cartridge-and

P.S. also made a nice manual for Action! and had it bound for about $5.

There already is one, and everything works with SDX, which is on the cart with them (ala piggyback):

OSS Cart Bundle & SDX AtariMax.rom

post-6369-0-15656400-1461986506_thumb.png

The only thing I don't like is the annoying countdown timer and scrolling text. The timer isn't needed, and seizure inducing scrolling is for demos...

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

In theory you could have all the OSS languages on one cart though I don't know if anyone's devised a method yet.

Actually I do on my MYIDEII which is a great cartridge. I have about 100+ cartridges on the MYIDEII including Action!. This was more of an esthetic thing with me as I just wanted to have a physical cartridge. As a kid I was too poor to own one and now I'm too cheap to shell out $100 for one with a manual so I made one with a manual instead. :)

There already is one, and everything works with SDX, which is on the cart with them (ala piggyback):

attachicon.gifOSS Cart Bundle & SDX AtariMax.rom

attachicon.gifOSS Multi-Cart.png

The only thing I don't like is the annoying countdown timer and scrolling text. The timer isn't needed, and seizure inducing scrolling is for demos...

fairly easy to create the same thing with maxflash minus the scrolling and timer. I 'THINK' the roms they have on maxflash forum is also SDX compatible but since I'm not a big fan of SDX I have never tried it.

fairly easy to create the same thing with maxflash minus the scrolling and timer.

Really? I think you're mistaking this for just being some custom menu that loads a single item from a selection of choices. It's not. When you select your OSS item from the menu here, SDX boots and the OSS cartridge selection is set to the secondary (piggyback) cartridge. So you can easily go back and forth between SDX and whatever cartridge you've chosen to use with it -- without rebooting. I doubt it was something trivial to set up, but I'd gladly be proven wrong, and like to know how to do it, if you can replicate the functionality shown here.

• Like 1

Impressive actually. Putting any such banked carts into an Atarimax cart is non-trivial. The banking is different for starters and each Rom would need to be individually configured to live in specific cart banks. Then a custom Dos build would be needed.

Though given that the groundwork would have been done for recreating the language carts by other means, it would have made it easier.

That said though, just try building a flashcart from the builder software and you'll quickly find that it just won't work and isn't a case of simple drag and drop.

Have to ask though... is there a 128K version around? Or is this using one of the huge SDX builds with all the help files and stuff that needs lots of space?

Edited by Rybags

Actually I do on my MYIDEII which is a great cartridge. I have about 100+ cartridges on the MYIDEII including Action!. This was more of an esthetic thing with me as I just wanted to have a physical cartridge. As a kid I was too poor to own one and now I'm too cheap to shell out $100 for one with a manual so I made one with a manual instead. :)

I can't get the above Rom file to load on MYIDE II. does it require some configuring?

are your 100+ cartridges a .rom or .atr?

any chance of uploading?

thanks

Really? I think you're mistaking this for just being some custom menu that loads a single item from a selection of choices. It's not. When you select your OSS item from the menu here, SDX boots and the OSS cartridge selection is set to the secondary (piggyback) cartridge. So you can easily go back and forth between SDX and whatever cartridge you've chosen to use with it -- without rebooting. I doubt it was something trivial to set up, but I'd gladly be proven wrong, and like to know how to do it, if you can replicate the functionality shown here.

Here's the discussion on SDX with MYIDEII on the Atarimax forum.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1528&p=9396&hilit=sdx#p9396

I don't use SDX but a type of SDX is available with the MYIDEII. Don't know if it has all the capabilities of the menu program you mentioned through.

I can't get the above Rom file to load on MYIDE II. does it require some configuring?

are your 100+ cartridges a .rom or .atr?

any chance of uploading?

thanks

here is everything off my CF card on the MYIDEII. It includes Action!, BASIC XL, MS BASIC and lots of games. the .xex format seems to work best with the CF card.

CF files.zip