IGNORED

Getting my PR: connection working.

Bikerbob

Hey People,

Couple of things.

Looking at using my PR: connection.

1 - have a hardware external modem. 9pin bd.. on the PR: i use R1: full handshaking. But on the atari end what driver file etc.. do I need to load? I have images of the ICD PR: utility disks. But so far I cannot get any communications with the modem. It is hayes compatible, serial, external, I have tried Bobterm and 850 express.. they dont give errors, but I cant get it to pickup the phone etc.. so Im pretty sure I need a driver loaded. So do I create a new image and put certain files, dos.sys, rs232.sys?? etc?

2 - the printer output on this thing is a 2line DB15 connector.. OUCH.. rare.. all cables use DB25 to m36centronics. SO how do I get a printer running off of this.. I only find a serial db15 to db25.. and I am not sure the pinout is correct.

James

First thing I would do is boot up the Atari with only the P:R: Connection connected (no drives). If you don't hear the boot loader tone then the PRC could be bad or you are trying to use it on a 1200XL that doesn't have the +5v mod to the SIO port (pin 10). SDX has the RS232 built in, so just type RS232 to test that way. You would hear the tone or get msg device not found.

After that, check pinout for your serial cable. It is different than a pc cable (and not just the db9 gender). Check the modem's dip switches. If you have a null modem adapter, hook it up to a pc and use Putty, match the settings, and see if data is going back and forth. Have you tried the modem on a pc?

You are most likely using a non-Atari serial cable. Here's info from Best's website:

Atari 850 Parallel port to Centronics 36 pin oval connector Printer cable. Used to connect up Non Atari Parallel port printers like Gemini 10 / 10X / 15 / 15X / Delta / SG / BMC / Okidata 80 / 82 and more Parallel printers to the Atari 850 Interface / Atari 8 Bit computers CB101279 $15

Atari 850 Serial Modem Cable CA015900-03 $15.00

Hey People,

Couple of things.

Looking at using my PR: connection.

1 - have a hardware external modem. 9pin bd.. on the PR: i use R1: full handshaking. But on the atari end what driver file etc.. do I need to load? I have images of the ICD PR: utility disks. But so far I cannot get any communications with the modem. It is hayes compatible, serial, external, I have tried Bobterm and 850 express.. they dont give errors, but I cant get it to pickup the phone etc.. so Im pretty sure I need a driver loaded. So do I create a new image and put certain files, dos.sys, rs232.sys?? etc?

2 - the printer output on this thing is a 2line DB15 connector.. OUCH.. rare.. all cables use DB25 to m36centronics. SO how do I get a printer running off of this.. I only find a serial db15 to db25.. and I am not sure the pinout is correct.

James

Here's my collection of R: handlers.

I'm sure Best or B&C Computervisions has the Atari printer and modem PR: to modem and printer cables.

B&C 530-295-9270 11-4 M-F PST http://www.myatari.com

Best 408-278-1070 1:30 to 5:30 PM PST http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

There's also Video-61 maybe. http://members.tcq.net/video61/index.html / 651-462-2500

RHNDS.zip

Edited by russg

OK, modem works fine on the PC.. so I will test by just connecting the SIO first.. so.. I should hear a little loading tone, with nothing else connected correct?

I have a 4.19 SDX cart.. I put that in.. type rs232 and I should get a load? or a error not found??

Will try this stuff.. I have all the drivers etc..

As for the printer cable.. yep.. best bet is to spend the $15 plus $25 shipping.. nope.. I will just use the printer through the APE software to my windows driver on the slave T40laptop. Sorry PR: connect.. not worth the cable.

James

OK, so.. PR: works.. sort of.

The modem works fine with a PC.. I used a couple of different term programs on the PC..

On the atari so far I have been playing with Bobterm. I can get it to work SOMETIMES.. and the one local BBS I can call does answer, but I cannot connect.

I do notice that the Atari really does not care if there is a modem on the PR: or not.. just that the PR: itself is there.

When I plug the modem into the pr: MR and CTS light up. Usually the first time after the modem has been turned on and I load Bobterm I can get 1 dialout.. but thats it?

I think maybe the modem is expecting more from the atari? maybe the atari does not support the full Hayes command set?

Anyone still use their modem? or direct me somewhere where I might do some trouble shooting?

James

In ASCII Terminal mode, type ATZ <return> to reset the modem, then type ATDT (phone number)<return> to dial. Also, try ATA<return> to answer the phone. If all that works, then your modem should be OK. Check baud rate, parity, etc. If it is a Hayes compatible modem (most are), then the above commands should make it work. Here's a link to the Hayes commands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_command_set