IGNORED

Jumpman hacking

Savetz

I figured out the problem... I was performing the jump onto the rope and then not moving the joystick. It looks like you have to move right onto the rope once you land on it or you fall.

Yeah if you just grab the edge of a rope or platform, Jumpman will try to 'stand up' and will be on nothing and fall. I think it happens when his arm barely grabs the edge. It happens all the time.

I posted this in the interview thread, but it's more relevant here:

Knowing that the Jumpman is made of 2 Players, it should be possible to make the 3-color sprite from the C64 version with a DLI. During the lines occupied by Jumpman, you could use both Players, changing colors as necessary then turn the 2nd sprite black and reset the collision registers right at the feet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Beam Me Down is my second Jumpman level, and my first with custom code.

Creating this level by hand in the hex editor took me about eight hours. But Rob has something amazing in the works that would knock it down to 20 minutes. You'll all be invited to the level creation party soon.

-Kevin

Jumpman_BeamMeDown.atr

post-803-0-36256700-1465680740_thumb.png

• Like 10

There's a C64 guy doing an editor and screens, he's asked me to contact Kevin and Rob (which I've done) in the idea of exchanging / collaboration.

He's done a new level for the C64 one which I've compiled in to a working disk for the C64, its a really nice level...

Remember, the included zip file is for the C64 so needs an emulator like Vice or my personal fave, Hoxs64 to run it (or a real c64)

It will NOT work on the Atari, to see the new level choose beginner, it will load what would normally be Easy Does It but it will be the new Skull level..

Here's a link to the project, could be a nice partnership despite the obvious version differences, the C64 editor looks very nice, can't wait to see Robs Atari version..

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61025

Jumpman with new 1st level.zip

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

Interesting development, Mclaneinc! It would make a lot of sense to have one "jumpman community", rather than having isolated groups of jumpman hackers creating incompatible editors.

If both sides here can hammer out a neutral file format for passing levels (and even level sets?) around, it would set things off in the right direction. Once you have that, Atari and C64 can have their own dedicated utilities for embedding the levels in the game. With new levels available, I have no doubt you'll see other platforms with Jumpman, like Apple II, hop on board with their own embedding programs. You might even eventually see modern Jumpman engines that read in the format natively. (and emulate any embedded 6502 code)

• Like 1

Here's a link to the project, could be a nice partnership despite the obvious version differences, the C64 editor looks very nice, can't wait to see Robs Atari version..

Challenge accepted. How about a fully cross-platform, GUI-based (point and click) editor. Kevin's been testing it, I'll release it for wider beta soon.

post-39022-0-27797700-1466696692_thumb.png

• Like 5

Got the following error when jumping on the ball in the middle of the screen, on the "Trip" level:

Kevin was using an older version of the level editor where I was off-by-one on some calculations. There are some limitations on placement, but the editor will show you where you're allowed to put things and where you can't. I'm really excited to share the editor, and this C64 news makes me want to push my timeline up. I'm working as fast as I can. :)

• Like 3

Hey Kevin, love that level, hits the Jumpman vibe spot on...

Just played it after I woke up this morning, perfect birthday present there :)

Seriously, love it..

PM coming to ask you a few questions regarding Jumpman...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Here it is! Rob and I interviewed Randy Glover, creator of Jumpman. It was his first Atari game. It earned him $250,000 in royalties.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-171-randy-glover-jumpman

This is a great listen and this is a nice project all round :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...