IGNORED

Uncharted 4

cimerians

I'll be picking it up soon but not day one. Reviews are starting to roll in. So far, 94 on Metacritic. Gamespot and Giant Bomb both gave it a 10.

"A Thief's End"?? Is Nathan gonna die? Would that be too obvious? I'm just asking, please no spoilers!

Uncharted is one of the greatest game series ever made. I am sad it is the end of Nathan Drake's adventures, but damn what a ride! Uncharted 2 is one of the most entertaining masterpieces of modern gaming. I got lost in the story, and one day realized it had amazing multiplayer. The coop was incredible.. I couldn't get enough.

I have been playing a bit of story mode and a bit online so far in Uncharted 4. So far, I am really enjoying it. The only bummer is the coop doesn't come out until autumn. It's not a huge deal, as I have been anticipating this game for years; I can wait a bit longer. I probably put most of my Uncharted hours into coop arena, so I am quite excited to see what they have in store this fall.

I have been going back and forth in the online matches from getting rocked to doing some dominating myself. However, the ranked deathmatch mode seems to be well balanced, with good, close matches happening.

Another great title from the people at Naughty Dog!

• Like 1

I've tried to get into the series but so far haven't been able to. I have the first 3 games (the Collectors Edition of Uncharted 3) and have played a few hours into the first one on a couple of occasions. Both times I got pulled away from the game, either by another game, or just life I guess. I'm hoping that this years see's a return to me being able to game much more frequently. This is definately a series I'm interested in.

I've tried to get into the series but so far haven't been able to. I have the first 3 games (the Collectors Edition of Uncharted 3) and have played a few hours into the first one on a couple of occasions. Both times I got pulled away from the game, either by another game, or just life I guess. I'm hoping that this years see's a return to me being able to game much more frequently. This is definately a series I'm interested in.

Its basically modern Indiana Jones....sarcasm, humor, think Nathan Fillion and Firefly.

If your pressed for time just play Uncharted 2 and 3. Definitely Uncharted 2.

The first one is skippable but its kind of nice watching\playing each one in order cause you get to know the characters. If you like Tomb Raider and third person shooters with some casual puzzles and of course Indiana Jones then I have no clue why you would NOT like this. I'm glad I gave this series a chance a few years ago but its pretty much over now since this is the last game Druckman and Naughty will do.

Harrison Ford playing Uncharted 3 (possible spoilers):

I'm in chapter 4.....been kind of busy would have been further along. Very nice. Every once in a while I just stand around enjoying the graphics. Gameplay-wise the melee fighting is better than all the other games IMO and I'm glad they added some rope swinging etc.

Uncharted 2 will probably still be my favorite, this might come in second, still got a long way to go so I'm not sure.

• Like 1

If you like Tomb Raider

When playing the first one, I remember thinking, THIS is the direction the game play of the TR series should be taking. Of course a few years later it seems like they did with the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider a game I did play through (twice) and loved.

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoying the hell out of the Uncharted collection, what a great package to have. I guess I'll be busy with 1, 2 and 3 until the price of 4 drops.

Halfway part 2 now, but it's definitely an improvement over part 1 in terms of story/location designs. Uncharted 4 looks amazing though.

Does 'cinematic' and 'dramatic' mean there is a lot of sitting around watching cutscenes or having very little to do while characters spend too much time talking?

Its very well written to where you dont notice it and actually look forward to the cutscenes. Its one of the few games where I love watching it as much as playing it, mainly because of the heavy Indy influence. IMO the only other games that are worthy of this that I can think of atm is Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Until Dawn and the Last of Us. The last Tomb Raider was really well done too.

Everything else I either haven't played or fell into what your saying. In my case, falling asleep during the cinematics.....Metal Gear is the worst IMO.

• Like 2

Just finished the game this week and it's a pretty solid game, graphically gorgeous and really fun. I'm of the opinion that a game's story (whether Pong or Uncharted) is mostly useless, and usually overrated. However, I have enjoyed the story in all the Uncharted games so far. U4 really has solid character buildup and made for a fun game. But for the record, I thought they did much better with characters in Last of Us. I've always found it hard to reconcile Nate's likeability with the fact that he has no real problem murdering scores of men. Such a thing makes sense in games like LoU (infected) or Red Dead Redemption (Wild West), but not Uncharted. Without giving away any spoilers, the main plot device in U4 is that Drake is giving up the thief's life. Um... what about murderer? My friend pointed out there is a hidden trophy, Ludonarrative Disonance, that you get for killing 1000 enemies. Ha! Even the designers have a sense of humor about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludonarrative

Speaking of trophies, I read last night the platinum is not too difficult. After finishing the game once, you can turn on Cheats which surprisingly do NOT block trophies from popping. Should make Crushing difficulty very easy.

One major departure from the previous games is I spent much more time sneaking and stealthing my way through. Reason being is Nate tends to take a lot more damage, so it's not usually wise to just open fire and start shooting when you see a group of enemies. I suspect they took a cue from LoU and designed it that way on purpose.

A nice thing I noticed (which afaik they lifted from The Order: 1886) is your target reticle. You have a white reticle while firing at an enemy, and when you fire a fatal shot it turns red, letting you know the enemy is dead and you can move on. Very handy.

Really enjoyed the Crash cameo too ;)

All in all, a great game and Naughty Dog has a lot to be proud of. Will we see Nate again? My gut feeling is certainly yes.

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1

One major departure from the previous games is I spent much more time sneaking and stealthing my way through. Reason being is Nate tends to take a lot more damage, so it's not usually wise to just open fire and start shooting when you see a group of enemies. I suspect they took a cue from LoU and designed it that way on purpose.

A nice thing I noticed (which afaik they lifted from The Order: 1886) is your target reticle. You have a white reticle while firing at an enemy, and when you fire a fatal shot it turns red, letting you know the enemy is dead and you can move on. Very handy.

Really enjoyed the Crash cameo too ;)

All in all, a great game and Naughty Dog has a lot to be proud of. Will we see Nate again? My gut feeling is certainly yes.

Ooooo, I loved the sneaking in this game! Much easier than the other three. I would restart battle sequences just to get all of them by sneaking. And it was hilarious watching Sully or Sam run around and not get seen when they so should have!

And Nate is not murdering those mercenaries and monsters, he is acting in self defense! Besides the point that he could avoid it all by just going home.

What about the irony that Elena wanted him to stop his adventuring, yet she was the one goading him on in the first two games. (Just restarted 3 so can't remember if she did in that one as well).

• Like 1