IGNORED

Straight cracks from Farb's ATX-Torrent

DjayBee

Here is my (Second) release of EA Super-Tracks copy protected titles. This will be my final release of these titles unless someone points out some flaws. These cracks work on the same principal by re-directing the sectors that get read during the double sector check. On the previous versions when the double sector was checked, the read was re-directed to another sector that contained the CORRECT sector image.

This version still re-directs the double sector reads, but it does not use re-mapped sector images. This crack takes advantage of the fact that this copy protection checks double sectors in 2 different ways. The 1ST part of the check consists of checking if the 2 reads of the double sector match. The data itself is not important. It ONLY checks for match or no match (it will not continue if it finds a match). The 2ND part of the check consists of taking 1 byte from each sector read and storing it in memory starting at location $03C0 (32 bytes total). After ALL the double sectors have been read the data starting at memory location $03C0 gets verified. Because the copy protection is NOT reading the correct sectors during the double sector checks the data starting at memory location will be incorrect. This crack "patches" the correct data into memory BEFORE it can be verified by the copy protection, thus defeating the 2ND part of the double sector check.

The advantage of using this method is a faster load time during the double sector checks. Another advantage of this method is a much smaller footprint. The previous versions relied on using empty sectors to store re-mapped double sector images. This version modifies 9-11 sectors (and does not need empty sectors) unlike the previous versions that modified 23-25 sectors in order to work correctly.

Enjoy!

attachicon.gifEA Super-Tracks copy protected titles V2.zip

You sir... have gained a level of respect, as most people have bungled this since the very beginning.....

Thank you for giving us a decently done crack.... the old rule was it should work most of the time and no care was given to load times or how it treated the hardware. This crack more properly handles both!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

To The Doctor,

Thanks for the compliment. I always try to crack copy protection the way it SHOULD (or SHOULD HAVE) been done. I want it to look, sound, and boot as close as possible to an unaltered original copy.

My NEXT project is not a crack itself, but a cracking program. I'm working on a custom version of Chipmunk (disk patcher / cracker).

My custom Chipmunk will work like the original, but will also work in "backwards" mode to write (create) a patch to the Chipmunk disk. This will allow somebody who cracks copy protections to create their own Chipmunk disk without too much effort.

The "package" is meant to be run on a PC using Altirra emulator. It will come with an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is used to map the (usable) sectors on the Chipmunk disk. Data is entered into the spreadsheet for each title (Name / how many sectors used / which sector #s read from Chipmunk / which sector #s written to destination disk ). The spreadsheet uses this data to generate Atari basic Data statements (which are used by Chipmunk). These Data statements can be COPY / PASTED directly into Altirra emulator.

• Like 1

I've tested a few of the EA cracks using U1MB's SIDE loader on my PAL XEGS.

Realm of Impossibility and Super Boulder Dash work fine, One on One gets into what looks like a reboot loop on the loading screen (EOA logo comes up, a few seconds of loading, screen goes blank, then back to the logo), while Racing Destruction Set just stops on a red/brown screen after the logo.

I'm not sure if you want to put any work into making these cracks work on my admittedly far from stock machine, but I thought I'd report my findings for posterity :)

Some games check load times.... if it loads to quickly or to slowly.... they fail, try loading from standard disk drive, then from modified drives, and finally high speed devices...

there may be a multitude of reasons, I have stuff that works on the MIO and not on the Black Box etc. U1M and Side loader may need to be configured different ways to make it work...

I am not sure if being a PAL machine could be a problem either... I no longer have a PAL machine. None of my currect flat screens/monitors/ or crt's do 50hz and the VCR that I used to convert between pal secam ntsc etc. is long dead now...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Try the attached images. I found a second different version of Ballblazer and could not apply the same cracking scheme. So I decided to redo the first one as well.

But it might also be because Ballblazer uses its own SIO-implementation which relies on exact disk drive status codes.

That must be why they don't work with the Incognito/SIDE Loader. Archon II Adept DOES work, BTW.

My next release is complete! CHIPMUNK PLUS lives!

It still requires a bit more testing...but I spent 3 straight hours TRYING my hardest to "trip it up" and get it to crash or act in unexpected ways (couldn't trip it up)

To the average user of Chipmunk, there are no real improvements other than a bit of a face-lift.

For more advanced users (people who crack / modify software) there are several new features. The main new feature is the ability to work in "reverse mode". This allows the creation of new patches by READING from the destination disk (cracked software) and writing to the Chipmunk disk. (normally it reads from the Chipmunk disk and writes to the destination disk).

There is also a "test mode" used to verify if the patch sectors on the Chipmunk disk exist or not (hmmm... Did I copy those sectors or not)

The Excel spreadsheet that comes with it (for a PC) maps the usable sectors on the Chipmunk disk and generates the Atari 8 bit (basic) DATA Statements. Using Altirra emulator, it is a simple COPY / PASTE from the spreadsheet to Chipmunk.

There is a built in save feature to save Chipmunk and the newly added DATA Statements.

There are several "dummy check" features included to ensure the correct disk is being read.

Soon to come!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

CHIPMUNK PLUS! 1.61D.025 HAS BEEN RELEASED!

Check out the Atari 8-bit Computers forum if you have any interest.

I would LOVE to see certain people who crack software release their own Chipmunk Plus! version containing their own cracks. It's pretty easy to do with my new Chipmunk Plus! release. Check it out!!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

THING TO NOTE: on first attempt i had the drive write protect mode switched off and once the loading screen appeared the game decided to format the disk. Presume this is something to do with the copy protection. Copied the disk again, set the write protect to on and game loaded fine.

That's pretty extreme copy protection. "I know the real disk is write-protected, so if the disk is not write-protected, it must be a copy, so format the disk."

Wow.

That's pretty extreme copy protection. "I know the real disk is write-protected, so if the disk is not write-protected, it must be a copy, so format the disk."

Wow.

There are several of those in the C64 world also.

The disks came in jackets with no notch ever cut in them, so there was little chance of it affecting a legitimate user.

Edited by R.Cade

The disks came in jackets with no notch ever cut in them, so there was little chance of it affecting a legitimate user.

I always considered that approach very unprofessional. There is a risk that the write protect is not working for some reason, and you end damaging the original disk of a poor, innocent user.

Might be even worse. Some Broderbund releases format the disk when they detect a drive with "The Chip/Archiver" firmware. I don't remember if they came all without the notch or not. Some Broderbund disks surely had the notch and were write enabled then. But not every Broderbund release has that format protection.

At least in a Commodore drive, the write protect is not only a software thing- you cannot (electrically, physically, literally) write to a disk unless the barrier is open, and it fails closed. At least, I've never heard of an optical sensor failing in a way that it detects the signal always.

Edited by R.Cade

At least in a Commodore drive, the write protect is not only a software thing- you cannot (electrically, physically, literally) write to a disk unless the barrier is open, and it fails closed.

It is the same thing in Atari drives, and PC 5.25 drives for that matter. But the optical sensor ultimately drives electronics. And that's besides what was already mentioned, that some users installed a switch to write enable bypassing the optical sensor.

And besides, it is a rather silly protection that is so easy to defeat. So even when the risk to damage an original disk is small, the gain is even smaller. Guess most publishers and developers agree, because it wasn't a very popular protection.

• 2 weeks later...