IGNORED

Compiled basic/Xbasic/etc games compilation

Post #173 of the Aperture thread in the Development section has a compiled version of Aperture. Unzip the folder and run APERTURE-C in XB. Compiling this akes a great game even better!

Thanks attaching here I so didn't notice that version had been done :P i was showing off aperture at the Fest west too!

APERTURE-C714.zip

Post #173 of the Aperture thread in the Development section has a compiled version of Aperture. Unzip the folder and run APERTURE-C in XB. Compiling this akes a great game even better!

May be tough to cart tho in this compiled state.. Can that be made into a EA5?

Page 4 of the compiler manual shows how to save the compiled program and one of the options is EA5

ok so I got this compiled, and then tried to run it in DM2k and wow 40column mode from heck.. Compiler or dm issue? :) runs fine from EA5 tho.. oh and its SUPER DOOPER fast.. is the source file in your postings not the actual source for the compile? or am I missing a step..

Greg

aperture-a.zip

ok so I got this compiled, and then tried to run it in DM2k and wow 40column mode from heck.. Compiler or dm issue? :) runs fine from EA5 tho.. oh and its SUPER DOOPER fast.. is the source file in your postings not the actual source for the compile? or am I missing a step..

Greg

Hi Greg:

I am not familiar with DM2K, and so I don't know what to tell you about that. From your description, it sounds like it is stuck in the 40 column mode. It may be that some VDP registers have to be changed at startup.

There is one thing that I have done with this program that needs to be taken into account when running as an EA5 program. I have added line 1 to the compiled program which is 1 CALL CHAR(1,1,128). I have made the first line of the BASIC program to be compiled to be: 1 CALL GCHAR(1,1,DLY). This lets you pass in a delay value from XB to be used by the compiled program. This way you can try different delay values until you get one that you like, without the need to recompile. Running as an EA5 program, you lose the ability to easily change the delay value. If you like the delay value of 128, simply change line 1 of the BASIC program to be: 1 DLY=128 and that should take care of the timing issues.

(edit) I see that the compiler does not change the graphics mode at startup. In the file RUNTIME1 find this line RGSTRS DATA >0320,0400,>0717,0

Change this to: RGSTRS DATA >01E0,>0320,>0400,>0717,0

The >01E0 will ensure that it is in the graphics mode.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

Hi Greg:

I am not familiar with DM2K, and so I don't know what to tell you about that. From your description, it sounds like it is stuck in the 40 column mode. It may be that some VDP registers have to be changed at startup.

There is one thing that I have done with this program that needs to be taken into account when running as an EA5 program. I have added line 1 to the compiled program which is 1 CALL CHAR(1,1,128). I have made the first line of the BASIC program to be compiled to be: 1 CALL GCHAR(1,1,DLY). This lets you pass in a delay value from XB to be used by the compiled program. This way you can try different delay values until you get one that you like, without the need to recompile. Running as an EA5 program, you lose the ability to easily change the delay value. If you like the delay value of 128, simply change line 1 of the BASIC program to be: 1 DLY=128 and that should take care of the timing issues.

(edit) I see that the compiler does not change the graphics mode at startup. In the file RUNTIME1 find this line RGSTRS DATA >0320,0400,>0717,0

Change this to: RGSTRS DATA >01E0,>0320,>0400,>0717,0

The >01E0 will ensure that it is in the graphics mode.

Cool thanks! :) DM2K is option M on XB27.. bestest disk manager around, and it will run EA5 programs with X for eXecute

Greg

Ok, I got mars attack working... Thanks for Fred Kaal's Ti99dir, and Tursi's classic99 overdrive! and of course wine, for not making me use Windows :)

I also added joystick support while I was in there.

xb_compiled_mars_attack.zip

In the compiled version, the monsters descend down the screen twice as fast as in the original ( but still pretty slowly ) and your missile turret moves faster, and with single pixel precision instead of only 4 pixel precision.

It is still a good balance. You still are not allowed to move the turret while a missile is active.

I did not translate the instructions. Fire button or any key will move you through the instructions.

Left/S - move turret left

Right/D - move turret right

Fire/Q/L - fire missile

on the death screen, Fire will respond affirmatively, and restart the game.

README in the zip describes the files... oh, they ( incuding the README ) are all tifiles.

-M@

• Like 4

I just wonder which compilers you all are using for that work...

I used senior_falcon's compiler: http://www.retroclouds.de/atariage/compilers/HWCOMPILER.zip

The compiler documentation discussed strategies for things that didn't compile out of the box. Definitely read through that first!

The compiler can be a little misleading. Once I removed the floating point work, it compiled and assembled without error, but wouldn't run. That was all down to structure of IF statements.

-M@

• Like 3

I used senior_falcon's compiler: http://www.retroclouds.de/atariage/compilers/HWCOMPILER.zip

The compiler documentation discussed strategies for things that didn't compile out of the box. Definitely read through that first!

The compiler can be a little misleading. Once I removed the floating point work, it compiled and assembled without error, but wouldn't run. That was all down to structure of IF statements.

-M@

When you use IF/THEN/ELSE with the compiler think TI BASIC. When you're used to XB that can be a pain but it is workable with a little patience.

The HWCOMPILER that jedimatt uses is the earlier TI BASIC compiler. It does not have most of the goodies you would find in XB, but it is quite a bit lighter weight and if all you want to compile is TI BASIC then it will work fine. For a more advanced compiler download Extended BASIC Game Developer's Package. This is a two pronged approach: COMPILER256 can handle sprites, display at, accept at, disk access and more plus it can compile all the additional assembly subprograms offered by XB256. XB256 adds a lot of advanced graphics to XB plus the ability to play soundlists out of XB. Both programs are stand alone utilities in that you can use either one by itself, but the fun really starts when you use XB256 to develop programs and then run them through the compiler.

• Like 2