IGNORED

What are the best 5200 games under $20?

The Atari Noob1

Defender, Countermeasure, Pac-Man, Qix....are all great and cheap. But honestly, just get yourself a Multi-Cart. :thumbsup:

http://www.atarimax.com/5200sd/documentation/index.html

Thanks! I will pick them up in the event I get one. And, I am not a fan of multicast because bootleg stuff to me goes in the garbage. And multicarts in my opinion are bootleg. Because they aren't officially licensed.

The other reason for going the Atarimax cart route - are new homebrew projects that are available.

Some of these titles will not be officially available as a 5200 cart, but are there nonetheless for players who want to play them.

Not every homebrew will appear in the Atariage store.

Harvey

• Like 1

Most 5200 games should run you less than $20, and it's hard to go wrong. The Atari 5200 had a great library. It all depends on what kinds of games you like.

I'm especially partial to Berzerk, Space Dungeon, Galaxian, and Defender, which a lot of classic gamers consider the best console port. But you can pick up any Atari 5200 game and chances are it'll be good. It's the controllers you've got to worry about, but there are fixes for those as well (honestly, I'd just splurge on the Best rebuilt ones and forget about it).

• Like 2

The other reason for going the Atarimax cart route - are new homebrew projects that are available.

I have a special place in my heart for the 5200, but until now I've not bitten. Someday I just might. That Atarimax cartridge will be THE cartridge to go with.

It's the controllers you've got to worry about, but there are fixes for those as well (honestly, I'd just splurge on the Best rebuilt ones and forget about it).

When I finally take the plunge, I'll probably make my own joystick. All the parts can easily be purchased from eBait.

What's holding me back? I'd like to see something like an HDMI or VGA output for the unit similar in operation to the F18A for the ColecoVision or TI-99/4A, not a unit that just converts degraded images to the modern format..

My favorites on the 5200 are all relatively cheap and easy to acquire: Missile Command, Pole Position, Space Invaders, Galaxian, Kaboom!, Joust, and quite fond of Mario Bros. That one's a little higher in price, but not by much.

I have a special place in my heart for the 5200, but until now I've not bitten. Someday I just might. That Atarimax cartridge will be THE cartridge to go with.

When I finally take the plunge, I'll probably make my own joystick. All the parts can easily be purchased from eBait.

What's holding me back? I'd like to see something like an HDMI or VGA output for the unit similar in operation to the F18A for the ColecoVision or TI-99/4A, not a unit that just converts degraded images to the modern format..

I know you stated you are waiting for a dedicated HDMI or VGA output for the 5200, but that really isn't possible without a complete replacement of the video circuit inside the 5200. I actually have an s-video modded 5200 that is then plugged into a s-video/composite to HDMI upscaler box. It looks really good to be honest! I haven't taken pics of it on my newer LED but I can show some pics on my older LED.

These pics are all closeups showing detail in s-video. But the pics show a stretched image because my older LED didn't allow for 4:3 aspect through the HDMI ports. My new one does and so they look even better. Still...this looks great to me!

This is a closeup of Pitfall Harry in Pitfall II for the 5200....

1149653_10201868503971593_828524550_o.jp

Here is a pic in s-video from Jungle Hunt. Notice how clear the detail is on the tree and fire under the caldron? The composite on the other hand...is...well I will never use composite from my 5200 with s-video looking this good.

10009956_10201868504571608_1511413761_o.

Again is it really objective but I find that of all my consoles that have been modded for composite and s-video, that my 5200 easily has the best picture of them all.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Everyone is right. The common ones are cheap, so go with whatever games appeal to you. With the 5200, it is more about deciding how much you are willing to shell out for the rarer games.

I think Gremlins and Dreadnaught Factor cost me the most.

The trak-ball games are exceptional with the ball if you decide to get one.

For me the game that made me have to get a 5200 was Rescue on Fractalus. However, it was Star Raiders that I was able to pick up with my 5200 and once I played that I knew the 5200 was going to be an excellent system for me. I too highly recommend the Atarimax Ultimate SD as you can then load it up with all the excellent conversions that you will find in these forums as well a WIP homebrews and actually play Bounty Bob without spending a small fortune!

• Like 1

I think he was stating that spending more than a couple of $ on those is too much. But it depends on where you live. Around me most common 5200 games are $1 - $10. But then it took me forever to find 5200 berzerk for a price that wasn't more than $5. If 5200 games in your are cost close to $10 for the common games where you are at, and you are willing to spend that and it is cheaper to go that route vs ebay + shipping, then that is the cheapest you can do. But as was stated, look for and purchase lots that contain quite a few games in them. Nearly always a better deal to be had that way.

Personally, I can't see a need for Pacman when Ms Pacman is superior in every way - but thats just an opinion.

If you love maze games, Pac-man is the original, a great port, and employs different strategies from Ms Pac-Man. Well worth owning on 5200.

No I got both for 10 so 5 dollars a piece. So that is not bad. Or is that still too much?

That's a little better but still, kind of high. Most 5200 "classics" are REAL common.

Still, as long as you feel okay about the price, that's what matters. I don't mind dropping a $5 even on a dirt common game, if I want it I want it!

Edited by joystickjedi