IGNORED

What is the best 7800 A/V mod?

Everett1954

The quality of the end result depends heavily on the tolerance of the TV.

I did the easy mod myself (with a simplified circuit) but my LCD TV is horrible with composite signals.

I then performed a resistor ladder remake for a hand-built SVideo mod. Much better as my TV really "shines" over SVideo but it was loosing sync every 7 sec .... turns out the 7800 signal is borderline out of spec wrt sync, which may be fine over composite (TVs tend to compensate) but not over SVideo (my TV to have a nice SVideo likely does little to no conditioning).

Finally I installed a "longhorn" like mod (not sure who I bought it from anymore) and low and behold SVideo while better than my hand-built ladder one still cannot sync.

So now to play the 7800 over SVideo I go thru some SVideo to HDMI converter that somehow can sync and reconstitute a decent signal (albeit with lag etc...), I bought a 30US$ el-cheapo SVideo to HDMI converter and it worked fine enough for this usage at the time.

So your mileage may vary and WILL BE mostly determined by the TV you are using.

Needless to say I tried the composite out (easy-mod or complex) on a 13" LCD and it looked perfect and brilliant .... obviously ;-)

On a second TV (a plasma one) the SVideo mod (all of them) sync just fine but the quality was marginally better than composite (marginally being the keyword here) hence a non-starter.

[just to say the situation how bad it is on any of my TVs over composite I cannot distinguish the icons on Mission Impossible as they are so blurred]

If you want combo S- Video and Composite board professionally installed check out electronicsentimentalities.com. Joe does really good work, he did the the S-Video/composite mod on my 5200. He also sells the parts if you are handy with a soldering iron.

I installed my own composite mod (If you have S-Video TV use it-i didn't have S-video TV) really simple from Vintage games and more. Simple and works. They have great on-line instructions and photos.

Checked out the site and was thinking of ordering and then seen this: For the Atari 7800 you may request a manual TIA 9 switch installation at no additional charge. A TIA 9 switch will reduce interference from the TIA chip when running a 7800 game. The TIA 9 switch will be installed in place of the channel 2/3 switch. If your 2600 game is in black and white it means that you need to switch the TIA 9 on.

What is a TIA switch and do I want it on a 7800? I never heard of it.

Checked out the site and was thinking of ordering and then seen this: For the Atari 7800 you may request a manual TIA 9 switch installation at no additional charge. A TIA 9 switch will reduce interference from the TIA chip when running a 7800 game. The TIA 9 switch will be installed in place of the channel 2/3 switch. If your 2600 game is in black and white it means that you need to switch the TIA 9 on.

What is a TIA switch and do I want it on a 7800? I never heard of it.

It is a switch between the 2600 color signal and the A/V mod.

There are so many variations of 7800's and so many variations of displays.

Sometimes in 7800 mode/game, if the 2600 color signal is connected there is slight interference, usually diagonal.

When I installed mine I used the channel 3/4 switch to connect TIA pin 9.

If it is not connected and you play a 2600 game, it is in black and white until you switch it on.

I see a clearer 7800 picture with the TIA pin 9 switch off, so I would recommend it!

It is a switch between the 2600 color signal and the A/V mod.

There are so many variations of 7800's and so many variations of displays.

Sometimes in 7800 mode/game, if the 2600 color signal is connected there is slight interference, usually diagonal.

When I installed mine I used the channel 3/4 switch to connect TIA pin 9.

If it is not connected and you play a 2600 game, it is in black and white until you switch it on.

I see a clearer 7800 picture with the TIA pin 9 switch off, so I would recommend it!

Thanks for the perfect explanation :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody tried to order ElectronicSentimentalities S-video mod installation service for the 7800 in the last couple of months? It seems like every time I try to, it shows up as out of stock, which makes me wonder if that service is still being provided...?

I bought mine from him through eBay, although it was the 2600 mod.

Here's the 7800 mod for sale:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301982277539

Anyone happen to know the values of the resistors that are removed for the easy 7800 composite mod (R3, R5, and R11)? I did this mod years ago, and recently, I'm not very happy with it. I assume I'll want to replace those prior to putting in a new mod.

Hi, The values are R3=1K R5=6.8K R11=39K. I am not sure what mod you did but I removed R3 and R5 but not R11. I also am disappointed in the current simple 7800 mod I purchased. I am going to try the Longhorn/ES board so i will have to replace resistors also.

• Like 1

Hi, The values are R3=1K R5=6.8K R11=39K. I am not sure what mod you did but I removed R3 and R5 but not R11. I also am disappointed in the current simple 7800 mod I purchased. I am going to try the Longhorn/ES board so i will have to replace resistors also.

Thank you so much!

I think I'll buy the Longhorn mod, now. It seems to be the best option available. Would be great if someone like Tim Worthington came up with an RGB mod for the 7800 like he did for the 2600, though.

I bought mine from him through eBay, although it was the 2600 mod.

Here's the 7800 mod for sale:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301982277539

Thanks AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol, that's actually really helpful. I'm not comfortable enough with the soldering iron to do it myself at this point, but I can keep an eye on his E-bay to see when he offers that auction again.

ElectronicSentimentalities sells the kits and offers professional installation on your console and he will also sell you a pre-modded console if that is what your looking for. Email Joe for prices. I see he is also selling the 7800 kit on eBay.

Chicgamer, I asked Joe at ES if we needed to reinstall R3 and R5 and he said no. Not sure about R11 but it wouldn't hurt to reinstall .

I can speak highly of his mods and service. He did my 5200 S-Video/Composite mod and the video is extremely sharp (no ghosting) on my Flat Panel LCD. The turnaround was quick and he always answers his emails promptly

Edited by Everett1954
  • Like 2

ElectronicSentimentalities sells the kits and offers professional installation on your console and he will also sell you a pre-modded console if that is what your looking for. Email Joe for prices. I see he is also selling the 7800 kit on eBay.

Chicgamer, I asked Joe at ES if we needed to reinstall R3 and R5 and he said no. Not sure about R11 but it wouldn't hurt to reinstall .

I can speak highly of his mods and service. He did my 5200 S-Video/Composite mod and the video is extremely sharp (no ghosting) on my Flat Panel LCD. The turnaround was quick and he always answers his emails promptly

Thanks, again! I ordered one of the kits. It's nice to know I don't have to replace R3 and R5. I'll go ahead and replace R11.