IGNORED

Model Rocketry and the TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

The example you have requires a 32K for it to work all you need is a RXB cartridge and a TI99/4A console.

RXB has a command named CALL IO that talks directly to the I/O chip (CRU Chip) using GPL so no Assembly is needed thus no memory expansion required.

100 CALL IO(2,8,11,255) ! Will turn ON Cassette Motor CRU line on for Cassette 1.

200 CALL IO(2,8,11,0) ! Will turn OFF Cassette Motor CRU line for Cassette 1.

RXB version of your program:

70 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN(4)
80 DISPLAY AT(7,8)BEEP:"PRESS ANY KEY" :: DISPLAY AT(9,3):"TO BEGIN LAUNCH SEQUENCE"
90 CALL KEY("",0,K,S)
100 CALL CLEAR :: DISPLAY AT(10,11):"T MINUS"
110 CALL SCREEN(12)
120 FOR I=10 TO 1 STEP-1 :: DISPLAY AT(12,13)BEEP:I :: FOR D=1 TO 300 :: NEXT D :: NEXT I
130 CALL CLEAR
140 CALL SCREEN(7) :: DISPLAY AT(10,10)BEEP:"IGNITION!" :: CALL IO(2,8,11,255) :: FOR D=1 TO 1000 :: NEXT D :: CALL IO(2,8,11,0)
150 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN(15) :: DISPLAY AT(5,5):"RANGE SAFETY ENABLED"
160 FOR RS=1 TO 800 :: NEXT RS

That's awesome Rich! I need to delve into RXB a bit deeper :)

• Like 1

That's kind of neat Rich. The kid has a Nano, so he's good to go, but you've given me an idea. I think for the Christmas TI this year, I'll bundle it with RXB and a Rasmus made Atarisoft multicart.

But if he plans on using the TI in the field, then that's one less device to use and power up. Here's the portable 12V power supply I use for my telescope which will also be perfectly suitable to power up the TI and a small LCD monitor for field use:

Power Supply

• Like 1

But if he plans on using the TI in the field, then that's one less device to use and power up. Here's the portable 12V power supply I use for my telescope which will also be perfectly suitable to power up the TI and a small LCD monitor for field use:

After talking to the kids father, I found out their plan is to use a small power inverter they already have with a deep cycle 12V battery.

I'm not sure who will end up with this years system yet.

That thing looks pretty cool, I'm curious about the specs, what's the amp hour rating?

• Like 1

You've got a MEADE telescope? I have a LX-50 and a LX-200 (both 8").

No, I have an 8" Orion computerized GoTo dobsonian. I'm trying to image all of the Messier objects using a deep sky video imager. It will take a while :)

Here are a couple of samples:

M57 Ring Nebula

M57

M13 Hercules Globular Cluster

M13

8" Dobsonian set up

Typical set up

• Like 4

That thing looks pretty cool, I'm curious about the specs, what's the amp hour rating?

I'm not sure. All I know is that it can deliver 12V at 10A and lasts me the whole night :) I have the older model without the USB ports which are replaced by 9 and 6V jacks.

• Like 1

No, I have an 8" Orion computerized GoTo dobsonian. I'm trying to image all of the Messier objects using a deep sky video imager. It will take a while :)

Do you ever plan on writing a program to control the telescopes Altazimuth mount? A program like that tied to a file system that calls up the saved coordinates of specified targets would be cool... of course you might need a real time clock too. ;)

I thought about extending my SkyChart program to do just that, but it would not have been very practical in the field. I live in the immediate suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul, so there is a significant amount of light pollution locally and I have to drive almost 2hrs to get to a dark observing site, so equipment portability is key. If I had a fixed observatory, then it would definitely have been something I would have done.

• Like 1

So here's a basic circuit for using the cassette port as a rocket engine igniter:

Here's the Extended Basic program based on Ed Hall's code:And here's a hasty demo of how it works.

Just wanted to let you know Vorticon, I passed the CF card and a printed copy of the schematic on today. Thanks again!

• Like 1

@ Vorticon I was thinking about the code uploaded by Sparkdrummer to control a device through the cassette port. It could have a myriad of uses besides launching a rocket for the kid. If your circuit design was modified to be capable of switching a relay capable of carrying 110VAC. I'd probably build one myself! :)

@Stuart, if the code was in your browser it would allow one to power cycle the UDS-10 as needed if a person wanted to hook it up that way.

@ElectricLab if your Chess program was modified to allow a person to enter their current IP address, you would be able to send a semi-instant reply to the person that a move has been made. For instance if every five minutes the page would re-fresh (like the chat feature) if a person toggled a "LIVE MODE OPTION" or something. When a move is made, it would send a specific update code (and an updated browser) could switch the cassette port giving the user notice that a move had been made. One could have a "real-time" chess match!

@InsaneMultitasker with the code you are currently working on in the 9640 Menu System, this additional bit of code could add some great utility. I suppose it could even benefit MadHatter on the BBS as a method to alert him of a page (if you've not already added the BELL codes to the printer).

I suppose it could also be used in games too as a control for small motor mounted inside a joystick, as a forced-feedback type of thing. It could also be used with RTC's for a simple home automation device or even a simple alarm clock. Who knows what else people might come up with. Anyway.... just my TI mind working over-time again.

Omega, I think that's a great idea. Launching a rocket when it's your turn in a chess match sounds AWESOME! j/k :) I have thought about this and we could easily have the chess game do a refresh like the chat program does and beep when it's your turn instead of only emailing you. The problem I have is that the chat program experiences semi-loaded and truncated pages after a while. I thought it might be a buffer overflow but when I press H to refresh, it always loads OK. Have you experienced this?

• Like 1

I've only experienced it truncating the display once or twice in chess. I don't remember it happening in chat.

Ever since I changed my Lantronix to auto-increment source ports, I am not getting half-loaded pages anymore. I have had the chat program running all evening in my lab and it has loaded 100% each time - something it wasn't doing at all before. Sadly, I never seem to be on the chat when anyone else is :)

So here's a basic circuit for using the cassette port as a rocket engine igniter:

Vorticon,

That circuit of your should work okay with the 12 VDC coming out the back of the TI that used to power the RF modulator right? I'm thinking it should also be enough to energize a 12 volt coil on a relay as well, that way I could use it to switch a 110VAC load.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's a hasty demo of how it works. I hope it inspires a young one to experiment with the TI :)

https://youtu.be/4FHgEjmP8C4

Vorticon,

I have an update for you. The kid launched his "Maxi Alpha III" model rocket last weekend, apparently multiple times. His Dad said he was not sure who had the most fun, his son or him. It was a big hit! :thumbsup:

• Like 6

WOW really cool :)

This will be the ... next level system for launching rockets !! (But you have to deliver the software on an 8" floppy) ;)

Somebody happens to know how to mod my TI´s startscreen to "READY - PRESS ANY KEY TO FIRE" ?

It is really urgent, I need it :)

Great, thanks

post-41141-0-58560300-1465563690_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...