IGNORED

IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?

Shawn

IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?

• Yes, I can't wait for the new version.
    • No, I'll stick to what I already have.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have both and I have no intention of upgrading either, unless one breaks and I need to replace it. My launch-era PS3 died a few years ago and I figured my xb360 was next, so I got a slim 360 ...so of course my old launch 360 is still going strong. Loud, but strong.

Sadly, I don't have much time for either machine, and both were kinda silly purchases I could probably have done without. I hope to get into No Man's Sky when it launches next month.

I like how it's easy to add storage to both of these machines. I've changed out the hard drive in my PS4 for a 2TB drive, and attached a 4TB external to my Xbone. I have one disc for PS4 and zero discs for Xbone. Thanks to sales and freebies, I've got dozens of nice games for both machines.

It amuses me to think that each of these things has a larger library than most of the 8bit console lines all put together.

• Like 2

I voted no unless something breaks, and even then, I would not move fast on it.

I move slowly on these things anyways. No plans for a 4K TV, and while the upgrades may make some improvements for 1080p, I am not sure if the upgrade is justified.

If all of this is handled poorly and the market gets fragmented.... probably end of the line for me. Not sure if I care... still have PSone, PS2, and even a few SNES games on the to play pile.

• Like 2

The upgrades coming from Microsoft and Sony I get a very bad feeling about.

Staying far far away from both.

Publishers aren't going to really tap into these new hardwares, more like just port the games over with slight enhancements. They do it all the time with current consoles as it is - with Remasters. Do we really think new hardware is going to change their lazy habits?

Thats not next gen to me,thats gonna be more of what i already dont like about modern gaming Its just going to be more rushed games, too much focus on selling online games with tacked on single player games, and in your face dlc.

So basically - more of the same, but whats important to them is putting heavy emphases on buying new hardware...

Instead of fixing the ugly black eyes that they seem to be ignoring.

Real next gen starts in about 4-5 years. When true successors to both XBox and PlayStation come.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 2

Would the the games even truly be at 4K or just up converted with a few bells and whistles. I guess another possible upgrade is a 500 gig or 1TB SSD since the price has dropped on those.

But true 4K... doesn't that still require some beefy hardware that is expensive? (maybe I am wrong.... haven't really researched all that much).

Another thing to consider is while new games may still run on the older revisions, there may be poor framerate, resolution, or longer load times compared to playing on the newly revised consoles...

My guess is that they will play just as they do now on the older hardware.. that will be the main installed base anyways... so I am wondering why Sony and MS are even bothering? If Sony has really sold over 35 million PS4, you will only likely have a small fraction of that user base that will upgrade. Could wind up being a niche product, so publishers might still want to optimize for the older systems for awhile.

If the the name is something like PS 4.5.... hmmm didn't we go through this confusion for the typical consumer with the Wii---> Wii U?

Maybe the Sony upgrade is will include the VR part as well.. .so it will be something crazy expensive and niche again, but maybe that is what they are aiming for.

@cybercylon:I'm like your goodself, slow to upgrade TV's.

Went 720P for PS3 and Xbox, HDMI route for both, but only now do i have a 1080P, 3D TV and if i'd not gotten a PS4 i would not of bothered to change.

Think there are all of 3 PS3 1080P games i've tried on the set, 2 of those were from PSN (Super Stardust and Wipeout HD) the other was Lair, which is an awful game, never mind the resolution.

@PhoenixMoonPatrol:Industry seems rife with speculation that if upgraded hardware like PS4 Neo sells well enough, the upgrade path every few years is route likes of Sony will follow, rather than pushing R+D resources into true follow up hardware, so no PS5 as such.

Whilst i hope that is not the case, it remains a strong possibility.

I never expected Sony to bring out upgraded hardware after they stormed so far ahead with PS4 sales as they have.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon:

Then i hope its a crash and burn for both companies then.

Outside of 1st party AAA games, I have a very shaky trust in publishers, to me they just cant be trusted enough that I run out and buy a $400.00 console upgrade.

I get a bad feeling that we'd only see more of the problems I spoke about earlier.

I'm excited for better hardware,sure.

I'd love for Forza and GT to have real time weather with ever changing day night cycles on the fly, and do it at a consistent frame rate. But I just don't trust the rest of the 3rd party gaming community to follow.

Plus it'd take a good 2 - 2 1/2 years that make real use of hardware in a proper way. A real meaty game always takes time to make.

And well...I guess thats what makes me back away.

I get the feeling its just touched up ports while we await real next gen in 4 years.

I hope we don't go the mobile route with hardware.

Look how the PC suffers from publishers having to actually WORK to have their games run on that platform.

I'd rather have another crash than put up with even more buggy and rushed software on consoles.

Guess I'm just jaded. LOL.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 2

I'm with you 100% actually.

As a PSP owner, i hated the download only 'model' (not the hardware itself, it looked fantastic) the PSP GO offered and i'm glad it failed.

I'm also not overly sad to see those memory card prices killed the Vita (though again, hardware itself was fantastic).

People like Sony need wake up calls from the consumer at times.

And it will be the consumer that decides just where all this ends up, just as it was the consumer which saw MS ditch Kinect as standard with the XB1, a clear mesage to MS who assumed they knew what the consumer wanted, that they were way off the mark.

My impression is PS4 Neo is coming because developers wanted more power for PS4 VR, Sony wanted PS4 VR to be THE device that saw the user base swell yet further and get established before Nintendo's NX hit (which will no doubt have it's own unique selling points) and basically maintain the market lead.

But..from what i saw, PS4 VR headsets were selling out on pre-orders as it was !!

Not a fuckin' chance unless it's super cheap or goes on sale. I am not fucking hooking up giant fucking devices to a PS4. If it makes me learn how to make a gaming PC, then so be it. I already have a moderate one for my old ass stuff. I didn't buy a console to have 200 add-ons. I know the business of making a new console every x years is now failing, but I don't care. I'm not going to mess around with that shit. If I gotta go PC, I'll go PC rather than have a bunch of consoles with shit plugged into them and just have to have one device.

• Like 2

My guess is that they will play just as they do now on the older hardware.. that will be the main installed base anyways... so I am wondering why Sony and MS are even bothering? If Sony has really sold over 35 million PS4, you will only likely have a small fraction of that user base that will upgrade. Could wind up being a niche product, so publishers might still want to optimize for the older systems for awhile.

If the the name is something like PS 4.5.... hmmm didn't we go through this confusion for the typical consumer with the Wii---> Wii U?

Maybe the Sony upgrade is will include the VR part as well.. .so it will be something crazy expensive and niche again, but maybe that is what they are aiming for.

Well the upgrade path worked for DSi and New 3DS which were technically superior to the originals, and nobody got alienated. I personally believe the stock PS4 and Xbone are overpowered as is, but who am I to judge? I went with Wii-U and Ouya this gen! :lolblue:

• Like 2

Another thing to consider is while new games may still run on the older revisions, there may be poor framerate, resolution, or longer load times compared to playing on the newly revised consoles...

This was already addressed and the games will run perfectly fine on both the Xbox 1.0 and PS4.0 .

This was already addressed and the games will run perfectly fine on both the Xbox 1.0 and PS4.0 .

There will always be games that stress the hardware to it's limits. If the newer consoles have beefier GPU/CPU/RAM/whatever, they will get taxed less, and developers will target their games to run on the latest hardware. Maybe a game that ran at 720p on the older model will run in 1080 on the new one, or another game that ran 30fps on the old gets boosted to 60. Maybe a particular game, frame rate and resolution aside, gets superior textures or lighting on the new console.

Perhaps a game that runs perfectly perfectly 90% of the time on version 1.0, with occasional stutters, now runs perfectly 100% of the time on version 2.0. Developers are going to utilize that extra headroom given to the latest revision, and occasionally that could cause some decrease in performance with the older console. PC games are no different, with better performance on superior hardware, and we all know the PS4 and Xbone are just glorified PCs with a proprietary OS and walled off marketplace.

I have to admit I am waaaaay out of the loop on this one. As someone who is literally just about to purchase a PS4 can someone post a decent link explaining all this? I did a quick check but info is really all over the place. Is it still just rumors or is it actually happening? If so I should probably hold off on the PS4...

• Like 2

I have to admit I am waaaaay out of the loop on this one. As someone who is literally just about to purchase a PS4 can someone post a decent link explaining all this? I did a quick check but info is really all over the place. Is it still just rumors or is it actually happening? If so I should probably hold off on the PS4...

If you can wait until next month for E3, then the future gameplans for all three companies should be a bit clearer (or at least official; and obviously, Nintendo already played their hand). Most likely the PS4 Neo (or whatever it will be called) will be released by the fall, so if you can wait until then, you're probably better off (keep in mind you may pay slightly more).

You can easily Google the info, but the safest bet seems to be that the PS4 Neo will be a performance enhanced PS4 with some type of 4K capability. All games will be required to work with the original PS4, but may get performance improvements if developers build them in if played on the Neo. That's probably worth waiting for if you haven't already taken the plunge.

• Like 1

If you can wait until next month for E3, then the future gameplans for all three companies should be a bit clearer (or at least official; and obviously, Nintendo already played their hand). Most likely the PS4 Neo (or whatever it will be called) will be released by the fall, so if you can wait until then, you're probably better off (keep in mind you may pay slightly more).

You can easily Google the info, but the safest bet seems to be that the PS4 Neo will be a performance enhanced PS4 with some type of 4K capability. All games will be required to work with the original PS4, but may get performance improvements if developers build them in if played on the Neo. That's probably worth waiting for if you haven't already taken the plunge.

Ok, thanks for the info! This is the first I have heard of any of this, lol.

I pretty much buy every Nintendo console, I don't know if I would go as far as "fanboy" status but my wife and kids really like the Nintendo stuff and I get maybe 3 or 4 games a year from them myself (it's been a challenge with the Wii U, lol....although super mario maker has been rather rewarding though) This is more the "family" console though, I was planning to get a PS4 for me in the basement once I saw something I really wanted (that DOOM trailer put me over the edge, it looks fantastic!)

Good to know it might be better to wait, honestly I might not even get the upgraded system if the price drops significantly on the older ones :)

Edited by Crazy Climber
  • Like 1

I wouldn't trust the rumor mills. At e3 everyone will show their cards...

717benw5YZL._SL1500_.jpg

There's nothing unreasonable about the PS4 Neo rumors and Nintendo already said what they're doing. The only iffy one is the Microsoft rumors and if/when Xbox One Neo will hit.

There's nothing unreasonable about the PS4 Neo rumors and Nintendo already said what they're doing. The only iffy one is the Microsoft rumors and if/when Xbox One Neo will hit.

You obviously haven't heard the wildly varying reports online of what the NX is or isn't. It's x86! It's ARM! It uses discs! It uses cards! Digital downloads only! It's a portable. It's a console. It's a hybrid like Wii-U except the tablet controller can also be run untethered and off grid as it's own portable... :P

Same could apply to the PS4 and Xbone reboots. We really don't know the nitty gritty details. Could be as simple as a cost reduced "slim" hardware revision, or it could be radically newer hardware with a lot more muscle under the hood.

Now that PS and Xbox are glorified PCs, they could even go to an incremental upgrade route such as mobile has done. Eventually you might have to upgrade in order to play new games but for the time being, most everything still runs on the old version.

• Like 1

717benw5YZL._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting fact about Morton salt....

Iodine is very important for brain function so I used to go out of my way to use Morton Iodized salt as it had Iodine added to it. I avoided sea salt since right on the package it said "this salt does not supply a sufficient amount of Iodide" or whatever...until I learned the truth.

Sea Salt actually naturally has Iodine, decent amounts of it, but when Morton gets a hold of it they extract all the iodine and other minerals out of it and sell them. They then add back a small amount to their "Iodized" line of salts. Due to Iodides being an essential government mandated nutrient the label of salt must say it is not a sufficient source of Iodine unless it has been ADDED to it, a rule that Morton no doubt had a part in. Sneaky indeed...

• Like 2

You obviously haven't heard the wildly varying reports online of what the NX is or isn't. It's x86! It's ARM! It uses discs! It uses cards! Digital downloads only! It's a portable. It's a console. It's a hybrid like Wii-U except the tablet controller can also be run untethered and off grid as it's own portable... :P

Same could apply to the PS4 and Xbone reboots. We really don't know the nitty gritty details. Could be as simple as a cost reduced "slim" hardware revision, or it could be radically newer hardware with a lot more muscle under the hood.

Now that PS and Xbox are glorified PCs, they could even go to an incremental upgrade route such as mobile has done. Eventually you might have to upgrade in order to play new games but for the time being, most everything still runs on the old version.

I'm well aware of the wildly varying NX reports, but that's related more to the internal functionality than what it actually is. That's generally less important than the almost certain lock-down rumors of having a console component and a handheld component. The lock-down rumor idea also seems to apply to the PS4 Neo. If any of those things didn't come to be as the rumors suggest, then it would be pretty amazing.

Obviously, Nintendo will let us know more about the NX outside of E3 (since they stated they don't plan on revealing anything important there except more details on Zelda for Wii U and NX), while it's almost certain Sony (and possibly Microsoft, which I think would be a logical competitive move if they did) will wait for E3 proper.

Interesting fact about Morton salt....

Iodine is very important for brain function so I used to go out of my way to use Morton Iodized salt as it had Iodine added to it. I avoided sea salt since right on the package it said "this salt does not supply a sufficient amount of Iodide" or whatever...until I learned the truth.

Sea Salt actually naturally has Iodine, decent amounts of it, but when Morton gets a hold of it they extract all the iodine and other minerals out of it and sell them. They then add back a small amount to their "Iodized" line of salts. Due to Iodides being an essential government mandated nutrient the label of salt must say it is not a sufficient source of Iodine unless it has been ADDED to it, a rule that Morton no doubt had a part in. Sneaky indeed...

Truth is, sea salt has trace amounts of most of the periodic table so it would not surprise me if sea salt had sufficient iodine in it to support a healthy thyroid. The majority of minerals necessary for life are present in sea water, and hence the salt that comes from the ocean. Salt mined from the Earth is different in composition and is almost entirely sodium chloride, thus can throw off the electrolyte balance within the body. I've eaten some "Sea Salt" potato chips with the sodium and potassium levels listed on the ingredients. It was actually quite high in potassium and had a nice flavor, yet potassium chloride was nowhere on the ingredients list. If Morton is indeed stripping the potassium from sea salt and reselling the depleted salt as "sea salt", that would be sad...

I'm well aware of the wildly varying NX reports, but that's related more to the internal functionality than what it actually is. That's generally less important than the almost certain lock-down rumors of having a console component and a handheld component. The lock-down rumor idea also seems to apply to the PS4 Neo. If any of those things didn't come to be as the rumors suggest, then it would be pretty amazing.

Obviously, Nintendo will let us know more about the NX outside of E3 (since they stated they don't plan on revealing anything important there except more details on Zelda for Wii U and NX), while it's almost certain Sony (and possibly Microsoft, which I think would be a logical competitive move if they did) will wait for E3 proper.

Nintendo really needs e3 presence once again instead of relying on their Nintendo Direct and Treehouse videos.

Nintendo really needs e3 presence once again instead of relying on their Nintendo Direct and Treehouse videos.

I agree. I don't know why they're letting Sony and Microsoft have it all to themselves. If indeed Zelda Wii U/NX is the only big thing there for them (per their own statement) then they'll easily be overshadowed by Sony's PS4 Neo and VR stuff, and presumably whatever Microsoft's response to the former is (although again, if they have no plans for this year, then they'll likely just try to talk about software, which would also put them in the shadow of Sony).