IGNORED

Why is the Jaguar so popular right now?

Rick Dangerous

How long has that Jag CD been sitting at $690 for?

That might be what the seller is asking, but perhaps no one is buying at that price.

Look at Completed Auctions: I just did. I saw a couple of untested CD drives for $65 to $150. There were several consoles bundled with Jag CD and a few commons for around $400-$500.

I guess the question is who's willing to sell their Jaguar and JagCD bundled for $350-$400 then?

• Like 1

I guess the question is who's willing to sell their Jaguar and JagCD bundled for $350-$400 then?

Not me! When the time comes, I'll be selling the lid, case, top and bottom shells, screws, power supplies, power buttons, bridge connector, box, packing, twist ties, baggies... all that stuff separately and really cash in! :rolling:

• Like 7

I don't know if i'd connect rarity to jaguar game prices (jag cd and pro controller yes.) Its the same seller driven greed inflation we see across platforms. There are 10 copies of Doom on ebay so why is it $35-$75, because it's so old and rare! No because people want money. There are enough copies to go around of most Jaguar games for anyone who wants one...people just hold out for inflated prices. I really think the niche and cool factor may be driving the jaguar scene right now, but it's not the rarity itself, otherwise we'd see similar activity in TG-16, Neo Geo AES, and CDi, etc. etc., communities.

@LianneJaguar64:This is taking the thread even further off topic, but never mind Quake and Tomb Raider, you clearly missed the era of folks claiming Jaguar could out do the N64 running Rogue Squadron for starters.

I would like to see the post where someone actually claimed that.

I am not sure what the upper limit of the Jaguar is but its clearly below the PSX. However my problem is where you come in here talking about this 'extensive research' to get to the bottom of what the Jaguar can and can't do but it's all one sided. Developers who tinkered with it briefly(Magic Carpet) and didn't ask for help from more experienced Jag developers etc.

And the way you and others bash things Scott Legrand has said but yet refuse to contact him to let him defend himself. All your research comes up as lopsided and half complete until you show some integrity in this.

Now would be a great time to cash in and collect on Jaguar stuff. I've been thinking about selling mine but then I change mind a few minutes later. I think the reason the Jaguar is so hot right now is curiosity. It seems like from the first day I bought my Jag in April of 1994 all I've heard was how crappy the system was and how the games were the worst. With years of negative press I think people got curious to see if the system was really that bad. Also with such great homebrew games having been produced over the years now is the best time to jump into the Jaguar scene. I'm glad to see more people enjoying the system. Just my two cents.

• Like 4

I would like to see the post where someone actually claimed that.

On Jaguar Interactive, anything was "possible". Folks that remember that place are also likely to be more than familiar with many of the ridiculous claims, hopes and dreams spouted by the fanboys there back then.

• Like 2

@JagChris:

I know things are a little.."quiet" on your forum of late, but it took me all of 30 seconds to find a the Rogue Squadron on Jaguar gibberish on this very forum, just by using the search function, if you have time on your hands, why not try it?.

I hate to say this, but your again making an utter fool of yourself here.

To claim Mike Diskett briefly tinkered with the Jaguar is utterly insulting to him, he was only 1 at Bullfrog interested in the hardware, converted Theme Park to it and attempted, off his own back, to convert Magic Carpet to it, so in terms of understanding the hardware, i'd put his way above your own habbit of quoting random odds n sods of technobabble, without having a real sense of understanding behind it.

You bring up Battlesphere again, yawn..like it's not been made clear enough to you time and time again the reason no-one contacts..is because that can of wilting flower drama has run it's course, none of us are at all interested in restarting that, thanks very much.

In the past you came here banging the drum that Rebellion sucked, put no care into AVP,had no experience with the films etc, based on a part quote from a play tester interview, Lance Lewis, if that wasn't 1 sided, I don't know what is..

You totally ignored comments made by James Hampton and Andrew Whitewater and fact Rebellion made flagship Jaguar games such as AVP and Skyhammer, no in your eyes they simply sucked.

Yet High Voltage? Heavens be praised, best Jaguar developers ever..yet they brought us White Men can't Jump and Runner Pinball..

So again you are the one putting 1 sided claims across.

You've said Lee Brings did World Tour Racing engine with no support..

That will come as a surprise to likes of Anthony Hager, Adam Shaikh,Kevin Duffy, Ian Innis etc then.

If you want to live in this little fantasy bubble where you see likes of Quake etc running just fine on Jaguar, good for you,enjoy your stay..

But when you question the hours I've put in reaching out to commercial Jaguar coders,artists etc and even then get your facts wrong about what they did do, Mike tinkering with it briefly, not asking for help, please that was painful to read..

Your making yourself look foolish and are insulting the good work they did under commercial deadlines, limited budgets and awful development environments.

I suggest you fact check before making such sweeping statements in future and before questioning my morals and principles, look to your own.

You might not like the answers my research threw up, by god I put the time in to find out what happened and presented info as it came to me, I didn't part quote to suit my personal bias to a system or developer.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 5

And since your so keen to see the claim about Jaguar being able to do Rogue squadron, yet don't seem to be able to type Jaguar+Rogue Squadron into the forums search engine, i'll help you out, just this 1 time:

"I had an argument once here with some one who swore the Jaguar could not do Rogue Squadron. If Phase Zero does not show him that the Jag indeed can HANDILY do it, I do not know what else could. Keep in mind also, Though the Jaguar can't push as many polygons it can push enough polies along with a voxel scape to certainly compete with Rouge Squadron."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/148635-what-n64-could-jaguar-have-handled/page-2?hl=%2Brogue+%2Bsquadron+%2Bjaguar+%2Bgorf&do=findComment&comment=1818031

There that was as easy, now this can be raised from the dead and debated till the sun finally sets and people can start banging the WTR Racing Engine/Hoverstrike CD engine drums yet again and High Voltage..yadda yadda.

I've never coded, never will, hence i speak to commercial developers who have, i share what they say...

I don't go running around Claiming I've got quotes from interview with John Carmac saying how he had started

on Jaguar Quake, yet cannot link to said interview or put up mag scan of it, no I approach Carmac, who declines an interview, hence getting options of Romeo and Taylor who worked on Jaguar hardware..

So get off your soap box questioning my research as coming across one sided.

I've put in the hours to do what I could to find out what was possible, rather than rely on fake screen shots, wip rolling footage of games that never made it and technobabble from others..

So i think i will stand by my efforts thank you very much.

You've turned from someone i considered a passionate, if a little blinkered, Jaguar fan into someone questioning my ethics and that i won't stand for.

Bad enough messing around with autocorrect on this phone at this time in the morning.

Your going on ignore as I'm not doing your research for you, nor dying in a ditch on here for anyone's amusement.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Oh and lets draw a line under this little comment of yours:

..."you and others bash things Scott Legrand has said but yet refuse to contact him to let him defend himself."

The Battlesphere team, inc Scott have been interviewed too death online as it is, just trawl through various old issues of AEO for a start, so i know game runs in 16bit colour, 320X240, can reach 60 FPS, usually sits around 30 fps, upto 256 3-D objects on screen, uses around 70-80% of Jaguars potential, code get slightly more out of it, if recoded from scratch...

Plus it was again covered by RetroGamer magazine, way back in the very 1st article on the Jaguar and it's admitted it would look better on Playstation, in terms of raw polygon performance, but they feel gameplay would suffer...

So JagChris, not only has Scott 'defended' himself, but all the info on the game anyone would need already exists, it's out there, free to view.

Why would i or anyone else need to waste our or Scott's time going over old ground?.

Game would never come close to the very 1St Colony Wars on PS1 let alone Red Sun or Star Trek Invasion by Warthog.

You've jumped into 2 threads and singled out my posts/info, yet added nothing of value of your own, no idea why, but i will be drawing a line here and now under all the accusations you made against me.

Edited by Lost Dragon

I jumped straight in with Jaguar when I was 16, and three years on I have the Jaguar CD and a growing number of games. Whilst I see your point, it can be your first system quite easily, you just have to know what you're getting into beforehand (and avoid the AVGN video; I love the show but the big cat was really misrepresented in his mini series)

I just finished watching part II of that episode. I honestly don't remember a time when I LOL'ed so hard when James

used the Jag CD as a commode! :rolling:

(skip to 13:42)

More recently though I think the Coleco Chameleon and the Jag molds' colored history have added much to the legacy that is Jaguar. Cats truly do have nine lives! :dunce:

• Like 3

I kinda of wish there was not so much attention of late for the Jaguar as I would love to get some more games but now with the resurgence of collectors and other people wanting to try out the system. I should just compile a want list at this point since I do see plenty of games out there just not at prices I would prefer to pay. I hope it dies down in a few so I can go back to getting a few for reasonable prices.

I do think this recent influx will end at some point though since I am not sure if folks looking to get the system now even know of home brew stuff for it. It's almost like the Master system where as you collect the US set which is achievable and relatively small but when you don't want it anymore where does it go?

So side note can anyone recommend some decent inexpensive titles? I only have the 8 games or so as seen below.

Alien Vs Predator Cybermorph Katsumi Ninja Iron Soldier Syndicate Raiden Theme Park Tempest 2000
  • Like 1

Yet High Voltage? Heavens be praised, best Jaguar developers ever..yet they brought us White Men can't Jump and Runner Pinball..

So side note can anyone recommend some decent inexpensive titles?

I like Ruiner Pinball :lol:

I think you'd get better answers if you asked something like "can anyone recommend some decent titles that are under a certain dollar value (eg $20)."

These days some might consider a game in the $40 range "inexpensive."

• Like 2

I just finished watching part II of that episode. I honestly don't remember a time when I LOL'ed so hard when James

More recently though I think the Coleco Chameleon and the Jag molds' colored history have added much to the legacy that is Jaguar. Cats truly do have nine lives! :dunce:

Yes, if so it kind of proves that all commercial is good commercial.

Bad-good and bad-fun games should not be underestimated. In line with the fun watching AVGN's Jaguar show, it has some special quality.

I am well aware that "bad" games can be fun. As extreme examples, I still sometimes plug in Custer's or Beat 'em just for laughs!

As a more down to Earth example, Bible Adventures can be found on many top twenty bad NES games lists and I still had fun with it.

Even AVGN has fun with bad games. Take a look at him and his friend/brother (not sure) playing Goat Simulator. Game is crap, and was kind of intentionally made so, and they're having an absolute blast with it.