IGNORED

Good at Using the 5200 controller

maxdrive

They are fine, as long as they're working, like Jaybird stated.

I think it was part media suggestion and part how people held the stick.

I always help the stick between my fingertips, which allow my palm to rest. That way, I have a sense of where center is.

I think some people just hold it wild, wild west.

It's OK for some games, but once you try an alternate controller, it really sheds light on what a pain they are to use.

I challenge this: play any game with the 5200 controller and an alternate. I'll bet the scores are higher and you'll be much less frustrated with option 2!

The thing is with most 5200 games is that they are reaction-based as opposed to puzzle solving. The conduit for the reflexes to the system is the controller.

Add in the fact that you need to constantly repair them and the decision seems obvious to me.

As a kid I think I was very good with the 5200 controller. Typically, my frustration was when it broke.. i.e. unresponsive buttons, or stick gets stuck out of wack. So I ended up playing with the Wico which my mom finally bought. :lol:

Whats funny is people often point to 5200 Pacman as a game that was indicative of the 5200's unresponsiveness, which is BS.. because pacman plays great. What IS a pain to play with the 5200 sticks was Montezumas Revenge! That 100% is the game that needs a self centering controller. :lol: And yeah the Wico worked great for it. :)

• Like 1

Yes, I had no problem adjusting to it. I do prefer a tight digital stick for most 5200 games, but if all I had was a CX52 like BITD, then I'd be fine. Pac-Man was not nearly the hardest-to-control game with the default stick. Most of the problems I had were with the mushy buttons - my hand would cramp up.

• Like 1

I just ordered the masterplay and plan on using a Genesis controller with it to play 5200 games, that should alleviate most frustrations since the original controller won't be a factor anymore....at least with most games since I know there are a few where the Genesis controller isnt a viable option!

I just ordered the masterplay and plan on using a Genesis controller with it to play 5200 games, that should alleviate most frustrations since the original controller won't be a factor anymore....at least with most games since I know there are a few where the Genesis controller isnt a viable option!

If you are getting a masterplay clone get this also. Works Great with a psx controller with analog and thumb sticks. Works great for pacman and a few others.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=54&zenid=82g1n8mg4s5th9cbg81fd5flq6

If you are getting a masterplay clone get this also. Works Great with a psx controller with analog and thumb sticks. Works great for pacman and a few others.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=54&zenid=82g1n8mg4s5th9cbg81fd5flq6

Crap, now I have to buy that too!!! lol

No you don't but I like it. Its expensive. But if you already spent 80 on a masterplay then this is not much. If you didn't have a masterplay then its a lot. There are other options. But since you already have masterplay this is the cheapest. I use nintendo nes controllers also with masterplay but the parts are rare-ish and expensive. Not worth it. The playstation adapter ia just as good. Psx controllers are cheap also. Found one at goodwill for 4 bucks.

Edited by 0078265317
  • Like 1

As a kid I think I was very good with the 5200 controller. Typically, my frustration was when it broke.. i.e. unresponsive buttons, or stick gets stuck out of wack. So I ended up playing with the Wico which my mom finally bought. :lol:

Whats funny is people often point to 5200 Pacman as a game that was indicative of the 5200's unresponsiveness, which is BS.. because pacman plays great. What IS a pain to play with the 5200 sticks was Montezumas Revenge! That 100% is the game that needs a self centering controller. :lol: And yeah the Wico worked great for it. :)

I really had ZERO problem with any of the games. I found the buttons to be very responsive and quick. However, I figured out some fixes early on, which helped.

I actually bought two WICO sticks, and I prefer to play with the stock controllers. The Wico sticks have too much "throw", and there's zero resistance in the stick itself.

I can get better scores with the stock stick, and everything is close at hand.

Reaching elsewhere for START, RESET, and, especially, PAUSE, is one annoyance. (SO is reaching for the keyboard in games like Defender).

I had a book by Ken Uston (http://tips.webdesign10.com/games/beating-the-top-video-games), and it described how "champion" arcade players held the joystick to minimize cramping and maximize control. He said to hold the stick between your thumb and first two fingers, while resting on the control panel. I did the same with the 5200 stick, resting the right side of my hand on the control, and the stick never felt difficult.

I imagine holding the stick without one's hand resting on it would cause one to lose the sense of where center was. I never even had to consciously think about where center was when holding the stick like this. It just came natural. Likewise, none of my friends seemed to have any issues or complaints with it. However, we had a LOT of fun challenging each other to RealSports Baseball, in which any other stick would not have worked.

However, I could be a little weird, because I actually have a much harder time being precise with my XBoxOne analog sticks than I did with the 5200. Something about trying to be precise with my thumb is just weird.

Yes, I had no problem adjusting to it. I do prefer a tight digital stick for most 5200 games, but if all I had was a CX52 like BITD, then I'd be fine. Pac-Man was not nearly the hardest-to-control game with the default stick. Most of the problems I had were with the mushy buttons - my hand would cramp up.

As much as I really liked the 5200 sticks, aside from reliability, I can see where a tight digital stick would probably make more sense for games that do not require the analog control.

I had a Wico but it wasn't in good shape. I ended up going with the Competition Pro and that seems better for me.

I did find a guy with a Masterplay for sale near my area, but it is missing the extra button (it's one of the original models). Will that still work and provide two button response with a Genesis controller? I don't want to waste the money if I can't jump in Moon Patrol or use a smart bomb in Defender!

Any assistance on this would be great!

Edited by Amityville315

5200 Pac Man is my favorite home port of the game. I've never had an issue w/ the 5200 controller playing Pac Man. Some other games have been problematic for me, but Pac Man controlled great. In the last 15 years I can count how many lives I've lost due to the controller on one hand and have fingers left over. Not saying a digital stick wouldn't be better, but the stock controller is fine for most games. The bigger problems IMHO are reliability and ergonomics. For games like Pac Man where you don't need the side buttons, it's a lot less cramp-inducing.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Gamepads, 8-way micro switch joysticks and analog controllers generally suck for maze games. If you've persisted through the inherent idiosyncrasies and have actually become "good" at playing said games, double plus good for you.

I'll always prefer 4-way leaf switch joys or the good ol' CX40 styled controller for maze and platform games that require exacting precision. Which most of them do! :)

• Like 2

I haven't even had time to look at the possibility of this, but I think the Jaguar control pad would be the ultimate substitution if it's at all possible.

There are two control buttons, an extra fire button (Start, Pause, Reset, Top, Bottom), and there is a keypad. Everything would be right at hand, in a more modern "gamepad" format.

The only thing lacking would be any analog functionality.

Well got my Masterplay clone and using the Genesis co troller, I can say it makes all the difference in the world. Only have been playing a few games so far, but it really makes the 5200 more enjoyeable in my opinion....playing Tempest right now and it plays great even without the Trakball!!!!!

post-44815-0-07232800-1463350495_thumb.jpeg

post-44815-0-36672600-1463350507_thumb.jpeg

post-44815-0-29154500-1463350522_thumb.jpeg

Edited by lawdawg710

Well got my Masterplay clone and using the Genesis co troller, I can say it makes all the difference in the world. Only have been playing a few games so far, but it really makes the 5200 more enjoyeable in my opinion....playing Tempest right now and it plays great even without the Trakball!!!!!

But genesis stick is still digital. Try the Playstation adapter and an analog thumb stick. So much better.