IGNORED

labels falling off carts

maskdesmith87

A bunch of my Atari carts are missing the end labels. A couple fell off in my possession. All the front labels are intact though. I use a silver sharpie to write the names on the ends. It is easily removable with rubbing alcohol.

If you still have the end label, a couple drops of superglue will do. Less is better. You don't want to get superglue on your fingertips then touch the cart because you will shed some skin cells and it will permanently stick to the plastic, marring the surface. Ask how I know that!

Also glue sticks are a poor choice because they need a porous substance like paper for adhesion. Lastly the glue stick is in a plastic shell. so if it adhered to plastic, the dispencer wouldn't work!

I use a strong contact craft glue in an spray can. I spray a good coat on the label. Let it sit for about 30 seconds, and then reapply it to the cart. I also clean the old residue off the cart as best as I can before doing this. I've had labels that look good, still stuck on just fine for over 3 years now and they haven't appeared to discolor anymore than they already wore (In the case of Activison carts that is).

Model glue always worked well for me. that or tiny amounts of super glue, but the model glue seems to be more forgiving, didn't dry as fast to allow for better positioning, and didn't seem to have adverse effects on the colour or texture of the paper.

I use a clear dry craft glue. If I don't have an end label, I make one with a Dymo label maker.

End labels... a topic unto itself! :)

gallery_35324_1027_13617.jpg

While the video below was made for TI-99/4A users, the same technique could be used for end labels on many different brands of cartridges. Glue stick does hold for a LONG TIME, without damaging the label... but not as well when the label has multiple bends on it like on a 3.5" diskette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8bS9BTz50

• Like 2

End labels... a topic unto itself! :)

gallery_35324_1027_13617.jpg

While the video below was made for TI-99/4A users, the same technique could be used for end labels on many different brands of cartridges. Glue stick does hold for a LONG TIME, without damaging the label... but not as well when the label has multiple bends on it like on a 3.5" diskette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8bS9BTz50

Funny. Gmail couldn't read the "Omega" symbol, and I got this.

--- Ω --- quoted a post you made

I use glue sticks. One swipe leaves a thin clear film across the entire label. No damage to the label, looks like it came from the factory and I've never had one fall off again after using it. A label can be reattached in under 5 seconds and you have plenty of time to align things just right.

I'm trying to figure out how one goes about using super glue on a paper label? Do you use a few random dots and leave the label partially attached or somehow try and spread an even layer and then pray you drop the label into place exactly right on the first try?

No creases or air pockets from the instant adhesion?

Also glue sticks are a poor choice because they need a porous substance like paper for adhesion.

My glue sticks say they are permanent, acid free and photo safe...photos don't have porous backs. That and all my labels stay in place without even the slightest signs of curling after many YEARS.

Lastly the glue stick is in a plastic shell. so if it adhered to plastic, the dispencer wouldn't work!

Super Glue comes in a plastic dispenser with a plastic lid...can you explain that one?

I'm sure any adhesive manufacturer puts a bit of thought into the packaging material their product goes into.

• Like 1

The super glue thing through me off as well. I have NEVER used super glue for a label. That would not only be difficult, but a really bad idea for many of the reasons you stated. I have always used the simple classic glue stick. It works PERFECTLY.

• 2 weeks later...

Glue stick does not work perfectly. All of my glue sticks are of a very rubbery amber state, and the entire lipstick chap tends to loosen off of its heels. Then I hold the bare tong in my fingers and when I try to apply glue, it is a like cheeing gum that refuses to fold away from the tong mass.