IGNORED

What is the value of an Arkanoid cocktail arcade?

Tanrunomad

I wouldn't really discount the machine if the coin mech isn't working. Just my opinion; those are not only useless in a home scenario, but they are pretty easy to replace in most cases.

I'm guessing whoever it is wants upwards of $700. I think I'd personally go as high as $400 just because it is a great game with a unique spinner (not just another stick and buttons). The cocktail format is also desirable for space issues.

What are they asking for it? Could be an indicator of its value. And $700?! No way in hell.

$100-$300 would be reasonable for a machine that probably needs some cleaning, if not a little work. Almost always do. Not talking about the coin mech as that's trivial. Talking about monitor maintenance, switch/pot cleaning, cabinet repair/cleaning/painting - all that good stuff.

So yeah, $200 more than fair if it's in decent shape with minor screen burn I'd say.

• Like 1

Hilarious to see what some people "say" they'd be willing to pay for stuff like this, when you know for a fact how tight they are when it comes to other things they have their eyes on that are priced reasonably. :P

But it's always easier to spend other people's money when it comes down to it. :lol:

BTW: OP, if you're stateside here... I'm about to throw away a whole coin box or two full of quarter acceptors. If you need one, PM me, pay the shipping and its yours.

• Like 1

/\/\ Dost thou bite thy thumb at me sir? We did negotiate about an Astrocade that I didn't buy from you, so if that is a dig at me then I guess I can take it as feedback - thanks. I have bought arcade machines and big lots from other AtariAgers btw.

I think it is hilarious to see former arcade operators who consistently value machines at prices that no seller would ever agree to. I came here for opinions on a Battlezone once and the quotes were about 60% of what it actually sold for. It wasn't my machine, I simply followed up with the guy selling it to confirm what he got for it. He laughed at my Atari Age endorsed offer and sold the machine in a single weekend.

Arcade machine prices vary based on a lot of factors including region. They are probably the most volatile thing in the hobby and condition can really fluctuate. Supply is also generally limited. Its not like I can go anywhere else to buy a working Arkanoid cocktail. @Save2600, If you have a supply for these then I'd certainly like to know about it.

Edit - I've been on the lookout for years for exactly this machine and have passed several times when sellers want 600-900. I negotiate pretty hard and just pass or refuse to make an offer when I know I'm too far apart.

He laughed at my Atari Age endorsed offer and sold the machine in a single weekend.

Then someone likely paid too much. Are you that desperate for it to have been you? Battlezones pop up all the time; it's not a rare game. There will always be people with more money than sense, or have to have the game RIGHT NOW, or simply don't know any better.

I've only been collecting arcade machines for about 5 years, but there isn't a single game I even have a slight interested in that I haven't seen come up more than once. (Except a Solvalou. I've got no way to get one in the house, but I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up for the garage the single time I saw one for sale.)

My "expensive" games have been my Tron ($650), Robotron (($700), and my Star Wars ($800, with the ESB multi kit). All working, all in at least above average condition. Two hundred for an Arkanoid cocktail is about what I'd expect to pay.

As always, a good starting point:

Exidy's price guide

Are you that desperate for it to have been you?

No, that is why I passed on it, but I think you guys in the Midwest are playing with a different deck, and have a different supply. You've probably also spent a lifetime of making contacts that help you get exactly the prices you want. I've basically stopped shopping for machines because they are never offered at the prices that "insiders" claim they are worth. I guess I need to stop looking on my local Craigslist because the mismatch between offer price and recommended price from the experts is vast.

Regarding that Battlezone - someone bought it right away. That generally means the market will support the price regardless of if the buyer was a crazy idiot who just won the lottery or a shut in who does nothing but check for arcade deals. I don't think because you have a link to a price guide that you can predict the sale of every arcade machine. It's not like they are Combat carts.

In this case (Arkanoid cocktail), my estimate wasn't too far from what was proposed, so I'd say my opinion as the guy who casually watches his local market is that the machine is worth slightly more than what the experts who have been doing this for years think. That kind of variation is probably exactly what should happen in this online community.

/\/\ Dost thou bite thy thumb at me sir? We did negotiate about an Astrocade that I didn't buy from you...

and an Amiga 500 and a Vectrex and a C64. :lol:

Twice you were possibly going to come up and snag a couple of bundles, but it's all good. Just some friendly jostling - serious! :grin:

People really gotta learn how to post their general whereabouts here. No idea where Tanrunomad is located and you're right - the geography plays a major role in availability and price. No secret that the Midwest, Chicago and the burbs to be exact, is the birthplace of a lot of these companies and their games, so yes playing with a different deck here as you say. Been doing this for quite a long time too, so there's another factor. No need to go into all the details, but yes, have a lot of contacts, parts, warehouses, pieces, etc. at my disposal. If you're in FL or the west coast, gonna pay a LOT more for this stuff as you do with just about everything else that comes with living out that way. Midwest is "cheap" comparatively.

Anyway, nothing too special with a cocktail Arkanoid - other than it being a good all around successor to Atari's Breakout. Nothing "unique" about its spinner just another rotary encoder, whose original dial has typically been replaced by whatever sumguy happened to have laying around. CRT monitor usually all burnt up and cab in shit shape. I've passed on several throughout the years at auctions, etc. and when they do sell, usually priced at $100 or less. Saw one still being operated at a local pizza arcade joint exactly in the shape I just described (common) and wasn't even compelled to to give it a play. If I were to totally restore a dedicated one to near new shape, including LCD screen if the CRT was junk, etc. to try to go for a "high end" North Shore market, would be surprised to see much more than $400-$500 for it around here. And in fact, probably couldn't would be advertised forever and take somebody from out west to finally make a purchasing decision, where I'd then have to go through the hassle of palletizing her and ship via Forward Air, NAVL (whatever the different division of theirs is called now), Eagle, etc.

In general and with a handful of obvious exceptions, dedicated arcade video games sell for squat here in the Midwest. Just is what it is. And have been slowly and steadily trying to avoid dealing with them because they're more of a hassle than not anymore. Starting to clear a bunch of this crap out and oft times, just end up gutting and recycling most of the time. And by that I mean turning into multicades or literally taking to the dump. :(

BTW: you mentioned you kinda/sorta make your way up here sometimes (IL at least). Always welcome to come on up, check out the collections and hang out!

• Like 1

Classy reply - nice to see someone can dish it and take it in the same thread without things turning into a slap fight.

Now stop trying to get people to buy your Amiga stuff when they contact you about Astrocades! ;)

Oh - I also went to the OPs YouTube channel and he is from San Diego. He had a nice video on there about Apple II history.

• Like 1

Oh okay, since we now know he's in San Diego… $200 is waaaay too fuggin' low! :rolling: Gotta add the California premium (and they will) to the mix. Good luck, if you get it for $200, please let us know.

Next time someone asks for prices on things, arcade/pinball in particular - post you're friggin' whereabouts! Makes all the difference. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will probably go check out the machine and buy it assuming it does indeed work as described. I didn't realize location made such a huge difference, but based on the price guide you shared, California definitely ups the price on most of the machines I saw there compared to those listed for sale in my area.

Awww come on. Tell us how much. Please?

$200 plus an extra $20 because they drove an hour and delivered it to my door. They just happened to be driving to my area today. I call that fate. It needed a good cleaning so I took care of that including removing the glass to clean both sides of it. The spinners could use some grease, what do you all use? One of the coin mechs is no good. Even after making some adjustments to the different sections, the coins just don't go through. I'll need to completely remove it to get a better view, but it doesn't come off easy like my Galaga, so I'll do that later. The screen has a very subtle wobble on the sides which usually means some cold solder joints could be present around the flyback. At least that has been my experience with that behavior on some old monitors I had. It's barely noticeable as it stands, but I'll bust out the old soldering iron if it becomes more apparent in the future. The overall condition is near perfect. I'm honestly surprised since it has been in a restaurant for the past decade.

• Like 1

…non-dedicated Arkanoid in a converted Nintendo cab. Hmm. Well, if you feel good about the purchase, that's all that matters! :)

If it were mine, I'd be returning that back into Donkey Kong post haste. DK/Jr. combo or Remix, then you'd *really* have something. :love:

• 4 weeks later...

After cleaning the machine I discovered 51 cents located in various areas inside it, so I guess technically I paid $199.49 :). The non-working coin mech had a quarter, a penny and some gum stuck near the end of it and cleaning that up resolved the issue. I also cleaned and greased the spinners and now they're running like new. Here's a video I made reviewing the game and cabinet:

Edited by Tanrunomad
  • Like 3

• 5 years later...

I just did a good deed for life! I gave my 5 pristine cocktail table games away to a young couple starting a local pub/restaurant—ms Pac-Man arkanoid burgertime centipede and dk jr. I do wonder what they were worth, though…

• Like 2

Yeah prices have shot waaay up since 2016.  The classic arcade and barcade trend has really boomed here in Dallas and that has driven prices - also Covid of course.  Everyone wants classic games these days.

I hope you get some free drinks whenever you go to that bar from now on . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1