IGNORED

Anybody ever order from Best Electronics?

bigfriendly

Hello everybody?

I have four Atari joysticks that are a bit mushy when moving in certain directions and I wanted to get new boards for them. Had anybody ever ordered parts from Best Electronics? There website seems kinda primitive and in my opinion is not very user friendly. Also, are there gold plated boards really as good as them claim.

Thanks

Scott

I've ordered from Best many times over the years. Their website is indeed very simple, but as I've said before, I actually have this theory that Bradley keeps it that way deliberately so that he only has to deal with inquiries from people who know how to read and write intelligent e-mails and use the phone. He's always been very helpful and courteous to me, and his merchandise arrives quickly and very well-packed. He must have a lifetime supply of original Atari packing tape; his boxes are always completely covered with it!

I've refurbished dozens of joystick and paddle controllers with his replacement parts, and in my experience, they all live up to the hype: the paddle pots (which I understand have since gone out of stock, unfortunately) seem to solve the "jitter" problem, and the gold-plated CX-40 joystick PCBs hold up very well and seem to give the joystick even better tactile feedback than Atari's original boards. And, if you're planning to get into the Atari 5200, his refurbished CX-52 joysticks are a must.

• Like 5

I've ordered from Best Electronics several times myself. The website is indeed very primative and looks like it was done in 1995 without any updates. I've bought mostly 5200 accessories. Mainly the refurbished gold plated joysticks, 7800 European controllers, games, and gold plated 2600 controllers. You can order the refurbished controllers, get the parts to install yourself, or even send them in to have it done for you. Bradley is a great guy and you can contact him by email or call him if I recall it's 1 to 5 PM Pacific Time Mondays through Fridays. If you need 5200 sticks they are worth every penny from Best and they live to their word that they will last a lifetime.

• Like 2

I've done a couple over the phone transactions with them. I got an AV 7800 from them, factory fresh with a Europad, a pair of paddle pots and 2600A replacement switches I've yet to install, a couple dust covers, and a lightgun.

The lightgun was a separate order. Guy is a bit OCD when it comes to packaging. Lightgun came in a small box, packed inside a giant box with tons of biodegradable starch-based foam peanuts. And yes, the boxes were covered with Atari tape. I wish I'd saved them honestly.

Sadly Best no longer offer refurbished consoles. I've been nothing but happy with my AV 7800.

• Like 3

I bought 4 7800 Europads from him some years ago...And probably some other things that escape my mind. Ordered by phone, and it went Great! He was very nice and knowledgeable...I've been meaning to get upgraded paddles (or at least pots) from him for a while now....Man I hope I haven't missed out!! I may have to call him tomorrow!

Oh No!

Those paddles are now listed as Temporally Out of Stock!! OK "Temporally"? Does that mean there is a Time Vortex or Temporal Anomaly perhaps that may be sucking Atari parts through a wormhole and causing a tear in the fabric of Space Time? :grin:

The refurbished consoles also state temporarily out of stock, but when I emailed him he stated that he was no longer selling refurbished consoles. Hopefully that's not the case for the paddles.

• Like 1

The refurbished consoles also state temporarily out of stock, but when I emailed him he stated that he was no longer selling refurbished consoles. Hopefully that's not the case for the paddles.

When I was corresponding with Bradley back at the very end of March this year about an order I intended to place (BTW, another thumbs-up for Best from me!) I inquired about availability of upgraded paddles, and he responded:

After 14 - 16+ months of searching for a new Pot vendor to make them and 4+ months working with a potential new Pot vendor, we are going to start the search all over again today

[insert joke about finding a new pot supplier here]

• Like 2

When I was corresponding with Bradley back at the very end of March this year about an order I intended to place (BTW, another thumbs-up for Best from me!) I inquired about availability of upgraded paddles, and he responded:

[insert joke about finding a new pot supplier here]

Thx for the info Ballblazer...

It was one of those questions I was afraid to ask...But also an "out of sight, out of mind " deal where I hadn't thought about it lately..Sometime I will look into it further, but based on his previous years long search, it's kinda scary.

• Like 1