IGNORED

Anybody ever order from Best Electronics?

bigfriendly

If you buy a cib system from him beware . He puts it in a box that it barely fits in and doesn't use packing material on the corners and sides .

I bought a new Jaguar and a 7800 and games, and I never experienced this. He packages his stuff perfectly and everything arrived safely and quickly.

I bought a new Jaguar and a 7800 and games, and I never experienced this. He packages his stuff perfectly and everything arrived safely and quickly.

No he does not . I had a brand new Atari Junior box damaged due to him squeezing it into a box . Just because he puts packing peanuts on top does not mean it is packaged correctly . In fact start watching this video at about 7 minutes and 30 seconds and you will see that he does NOT package his consoles correctly . He is rolling the dice by not surrounding the entire box with packing material . Just because you got it safely does not equate to him packing it correctly .

Had a problem long ago with the guy. He sent a refurbished 7800 with something put together backwards or in the wrong place, something like that, and he wouldn't pay for shipping back to fix it. He said it was my responsibility to ship back, and that was how it was done. Guess I was too use to Amazon if something goes wrong and it's their fault. No hard feelings. I also bought a refurbished Heavy Sixer before that, and still have it nice and minty in his Atari taped up box. He does seem to have the best Atari stuff for sale.

Edited by jktrading

• 2 years later...

ive been emailing the guys at best electronics for the last few weeks asking what i can buy... what is in stock .. their website is useless it just goes on and on forever its not kept up. none of the info is current it seems anytime i inquire about anything i get an email back saying sorry cant help you..

i keep asking them. well what CAN I ORDER THEN??

i told them i just got my atari 1040STE over christmas and i need alto of things..

and the guy cant email me back a list of usefull items that he has in stock for me to buy???

i dont get it man..

its not rocket science..

ive been asking for help re: atari hard drives.. or mice/trackball solutions.. i cant get any helpful responses from the guy

only polite messages telling me some story about his "35 year plus super-atari-tech" whoever his employee is all he seems to do is talk about this guy and not actually properly answer any questions as someone whos really out to make money would??? i dont get it!!!!!

Edited by supernova777

That's his thing, it's basically just a one-man operation at this time, but he's got this quirky habit of referring to himself as his "35 year plus super-atari-tech" when he is answering a tech question, or his "super busy overworked warehouse department" when you ask him if he has anything in stock.

He's temperamental, and if he thinks you might be wasting his time—even if you are genuinely asking questions about a likely purchase—he'll give you the run around and then simply stop responding. I sent him a list of games I wanted to order taken straight from his website, and he basically told me it was too much trouble and to decide on the top three games I really wanted, and he'd ask his "super busy overworked warehouse department" to think about checking the inventory for me (instead, I just searched around and found other vendors that were happy to take my business no matter how many games I wanted to order). So, he's weird for sure.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 3

I've ordered 3 times from him in the past. Each time I looked on the website first for the part number then called him up. I gave him the part numbers I was interested in over the phone. It seems like he checked a computer to verify stock, description, and price, and then I gave him my name, address, credit card number. He asks for a customer account number but sometimes I don't have it and sometimes it seems to expire after 3 months or so? My parts orders were always physically small (mostly ICs) but they came in antistatic foam (I assume. I think it might have been pink colored but I'm not sure), sealed in an antistatic bag (I assume, it was pink colored), and everything in a box filled with packing peanuts (so I sure hope those bags were anti-static. So far the chips have all been working). Your mileage may very of course, and it sounds like it does from the posts on this thread.

Edited by john_q_atari

ive been emailing the guys at best electronics for the last few weeks asking what i can buy... what is in stock .. their website is useless it just goes on and on forever its not kept up. none of the info is current it seems anytime i inquire about anything i get an email back saying sorry cant help you..

i keep asking them. well what CAN I ORDER THEN??

i told them i just got my atari 1040STE over christmas and i need alto of things..

and the guy cant email me back a list of usefull items that he has in stock for me to buy???

i dont get it man..

its not rocket science..

ive been asking for help re: atari hard drives.. or mice/trackball solutions.. i cant get any helpful responses from the guy

only polite messages telling me some story about his "35 year plus super-atari-tech" whoever his employee is all he seems to do is talk about this guy and not actually properly answer any questions as someone whos really out to make money would??? i dont get it!!!!!

To be frank, if I was Brad and I saw your e-mail full of grammar and spelling errors, not to mention just plain hard to read, I would be put off by your message too. It looks like a Nigerian scam message or something. Brad probably didn't have time to figure out what you are trying to say, so your message was likely not worth his time. I'm sure he probably has many other customers who write him clear messages so he can tend to them quickly and easily.

• Like 4

I've ordered a few times myself. True that he is quirky via email, but extremely knowledgeable about Atari parts and a very kind man when I've talked to him on the phone. He's been doing this for 35+ years and I expect this is his retirement now. Only works a few hours a day and has a good life helping Atari gamers out. Just be direct, send him part #'s of what you want, he'll check if in stock, then order. Don't do endless open ended questions I think is the issue. Just be direct and say "I want to order X Quantity of Part # 12345 for the Atari X00 system". He'll reply if available, and then order. If you don't order or change it up a lot, that's when I think he would have issue. He pulls in calls and emails all over the world so I tend to think it's a "Seller's Market" as opposed to a Buyer's one so he can pick and choose who he does business with.

• Like 1

Brad is a great guy to deal with. I've had many, many dealings with him over the last 15 years and every single time he's done right by me. On the very rare occasion something has been missed he makes it right ASAP. Well worth listing to an old boy talk in the third person that is for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Funny, tell me what I did wrong then:

I SENT:

>

>Hello, I'd like to order the following from your site. Could you please confirm that they are in stock?
>
>Atari 7800:
>Galaga "7800 Dented Can Special"
>Robotron "7800 Dented Can Special"
>Asteroids (boxed)
>Desert Falcon (boxed)
>Dark Chambers (boxed)
>Food Fight (boxed)
>1 Atari CX78 joypad
>
>Atari Jaguar:
>Super Burnout (boxed)
>Iron Soldier (boxed)
>
>Regards,

HIS REPLY (paraphrasing, I don't want to just quote a private email):

>>Our very very busy Atari shipping department
>>is booked solid.
>>You will have to cut your Atari want list down to 3 items before I
>>can try getting a shipping quote

MY RESPONSE:

>>>Hello Bradley,
>>>
>>>Thank you for replying. I'm glad to hear you're busy!
>>>In that case I'd like to cut the order down to the following:
>>>
>>>Atari CX78 joypad
>>>Robotron "7800 Dented Can Special" (new in box if not available dented)
>>>Super Burnout

Never got a reply after that.

Edited by newtmonkey

thank you for your response newtmonkey

it was very frustrating trying to communicate with him, i tried many times to get straight answer out of him but yes, my experience seems to line up with what you've experienced aswell. i just wanted to order a few items to get my setup up + running and it didnt seem like he really genuinely cared whether or not i got what i needed.

that said, i realize this is probably an older gentleman, who may be getting "eccentric" with age, but i really was looking for some very basic simple guidance on some must have peripherals, like finding a good mouse that will work well for me and getting a hard drive up + running so i can launch programs, and getting some floppy disks that are the right type to work with the 1040STE, i mentioned all of these needs to him and he basically had nothing to offer me.... which left me kind of stunned + shunned

Edited by supernova777
  • Like 1

thank you for your response newtmonkey

it was very frustrating trying to communicate with him, i tried many times to get straight answer out of him but yes, my experience seems to line up with what you've experienced aswell. i just wanted to order a few items to get my setup up + running and it didnt seem like he really genuinely cared whether or not i got what i needed.

Call him on the phone. That might make a difference. That or find another dealer. B&C Computers might have what you want.

• Like 1

He's just very particular, supernova777. If you say something that somehow sets him off or he finds suspicious, he puts you on his list and you can forget ordering from him. I don't hold it against him, he's not rude or anything, but it's just strange to see someone react like that. As an aside, I also run a small business and I am pretty particular with my clients, but I would never tell a customer what Brad told me; if I was that busy, I would ask if the customer wants to wait a bit until my schedule is free. But you know, that's what's great about being self-employed; you can (sort of) make your own rules.

From my point of view, BEST basically gave me no other option (ordering three games shipped to Japan is hardly worth it PLUS he simply ignored my response), and I ended getting what I wanted from B&C and Video 61, both of whom were extremely polite and happy to sell me products, and I would happily order from both of them again (and plan to soon).

Edited by newtmonkey

if anyone cares to give me some tips on some good purchases for me to order re: a good mouse that works alot better then the crap ones i got given with my 1040STE id love to hear some suggestions, it helps when u know exactly what to order, but im not an experienced with atari.. i just got my 1040STE a few weeks ago, im trying to get up + running, finding it difficult to figure out what is a sure bet and whats dodgey etc im trying to use my 1040STE for music production, to either run Cubase or Creator/Notator mostly but also to try out other shareware MIDI programs

my site is www.oldschooldaw.com would love to get a few tips from someone whos 'been there and done that'

ive seen some things listed online like mouse adapters for usb and some for ps/2 i just dont know whats the best option for me

to get something thats going to work well for me to be sequencing with, and that is going to have the best feel + not break on me

cheers

Edited by supernova777

supernova777, I would recommend posting that in the Atari ST forum here, I think you'd get a lot more advice there. I have a 520STe but the mouse that it came with works fine, so I've never considered replacing it. I've heard that the converters work great, but I can't say for sure since I've never used one. Definitely post in the Atari ST forum, I'm sure you'll get some very helpful responses.

BTW Video 61 has new old stock ST mice for 34.95 as of today, 2/17:

http://atarisales.com/falcon.html

Edited by newtmonkey

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to order some stuff from Best recently. Sent him an e-mail asking if a few things were in stock. He responded with a shipping total. I told him there were actually a couple other things I wanted to order with those and got a gibberish, grammatically incorrect response basically saying he was too busy to give me a new total and that I could either only order the first two things I asked about or buy nothing at all.

Pretty frustrating since now I'll have to put in another order, either with him or someone else, and end up paying more for shipping two boxes instead of just one.

Yep, bought all the stuff needed to rebuild a bunch of joysticks and paddles from him. Wasn't cheap, but very high quality. Way better than the original guts of the controllers. You just gotta talk to the guy on the phone to make the order, which is a bit unexpected these days.

Myself I just ordered some parts to build some joysticks as I have the cables and the top & bottom bases, so I ordered the rest of the parts and the transaction went quite smoothly without a hitch, he even said they will provide a tracking number so I can track it.

• Like 1

I’ve ordered several items from Best over the years and never had issue. Yesterday I ordered a 2 Port 5200 motherboard with RF shields and cable and the call only lasted a few minutes. If you’ve ordered before, keep your Customer Number (BTXXXXX) handy, as it will help expedite your call.

• Like 2

Myself I just ordered some parts to build some joysticks as I have the cables and the top & bottom bases, so I ordered the rest of the parts and the transaction went quite smoothly without a hitch, he even said they will provide a tracking number so I can track it.

My parts arrived yesterday without incident, and the box was very well packaged and undamaged, here is how I received it:

post-2131-0-85802600-1551999362.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...