IGNORED

Anybody ever order from Best Electronics?

bigfriendly

6 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

How many different items and what quantities of each item?

1 C302824 Falcon Videl                               U$D   45.00
1 C302995 Falcon Combel                          U$D   45.00
2 C302996 Falcon SDMA                            U$D   90.00
2 C302096 / C302434 Falcon Ajax             U$D   59.90
Shipping to WA                                   U$D     7.90
Insurance                                                         U$D     4.60
                                                                         ------------------
                                                                Total U$D 252.40

Sorry it was 252 not 270, I'm getting old
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've ordered from Best off and on over the past 25 years.  Orders were complete and as advertised.

However, my last transaction was pretty disappointing; I ordered some system-boards and joystick controller parts (buttons, circuitry, etc.).  When I received the box, I opened it up and saw the circuit boards, and assumed that the controller parts were in a small bag or box buried under packing popcorn.  I set the box aside, because at the time, I didn't have a good place area to begin working with the components; the exterminator was due to arrive, and everything was everywhere.

So after a couple of months, I finally got around to doing some repairs.  I took out the system-boards, and then started sifting out the packing peanuts for the joystick components.  They weren't there.  I thought, somehow, someway, I had accidentally thrown them in the trash-bin.  So, I upended the trash-bin, and sifted through everything. . . no baggy, no small box, nothing.

Now. . . I called Best, and explained that I hadn't received the joystick components, and I asked whether he'd had maybe come across some loose product while conducting inventory or something; I've run a receivership and warehouse before, I know these things happen.  Usually, the issue/complaint presents itself before an inventory discrepancy.   In my experience, it's usually employee theft, and that's a HUGE problem out here on the west coast where everyone is ripping-off one another to pay for their rent and drugs.

Let's be fair, I waited too long to account my order.  Nonetheless, whether I opened the box 2 minutes or 2 months after it was delivered, my order was shorted.  He said he'd check with his warehouse, I told him I wasn't in any particular hurry. . . it wasn't life or death. . . and that it was fine.  Several weeks went by, and I called him again to see whether any progress had been made.  As we all might expect, no luck.

I could've charged it back, but I really, really didn't want to do that in this situation.  I've ordered from them, I'd say over the years, at least a dozen times, no issues; and Best's prices have always been reasonable for legacy-crap.  So, I just reordered the controller parts again.  As I said, I hold myself partly accountable for this botched transaction:  waiting too long to account for all product.  I think a good middle ground resolution would've been selling the reordered parts at some discount, maybe %15 or something. . . some issuance of good faith.

It was disappointing.  But, at least the PCBs arrived, and that was the most important and expensive part of the order.  In retrospect, I think I should've just swapped out the logic-chips or whatever on my old circuit boards -- there are many suppliers for those; but at the time, I was thinking it would be nice to have some spare OEM boards around.

This is the only unpleasant experience I've ever had with ordering legacy parts. . . Console5, fine; C&B Computervisions, fine; Video61, fine; Ifixit, fine; Amazon Prime, fine; Atari2600.com, fine.  When it comes to the fiddly-diddly stuff (bearings, logic chips, etc.), Console5 is fantastic; Luke is incredibly helpful.  I also liked doing business with Lance over at Video61.  I did get ripped off buying some used cartridges from Ebay once, but hey, that's Ebay/Paypal. . . ordering anything from that den of thieves was a dumbass thing to do anyway.

Would I order from Best again?  I dunno. . . I'm kind of at the point where I'm done hobbying around with this stuff anyway.  But, like I said, their prices are reasonable, and whatever money I lost on this transaction would've probably just ended up in another pocket of a seller who charged more for the same type of product.  I was just kind of surprised I guess.  Just order a few things at a time, and use straight-up Mastercard or Visa -- no Paypal or Google-pay crap.

Edited by patroclus99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

All I can say is buyer beware with brad and best electronics.  The success of your order will depend solely on brad’s mood and if he’s taken his meds on any given day.  He’s clearly spent too much time in that disorganized Mess of a warehouse and he’s gone stark raving mad as a result. Sad. Good luck to anybody brave or stupid enough to give him their money.  He’s the Atari nazi I refuse to deal with asshats like that. Anybody here defending his incredibly shady And unethical business Practices are clearly kissing his ass so they can continue to try to get parts from his last huge trove that he’s very unfairly restricting access to based on his own whims. Pathetic. Best thing that could happen at this point is for some entrepreneurial person to buy him out and organize the business professionally for proper online sales. Worst case scenario is brad kicks the bucket and the entire stock is land filled. 

Edited by YSG2020
  • Sad 1

What I notice with these threads about Brad, is that most people have little or no issues, but the few who do are VERY vocal about it. I've ordered from him and got my items without any problems. He's been very friendly and helpful. I'll admit the website is useless, so I just email him what I need and we go from there. So, I tend to disregard complaints by people who refer to his customers as either "brave or stupid". Seems to me that's a rather bad way to go about getting respect on forums where probably 75 percent of the members have done business with Best Electronics.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RamrodHare said:

What I notice with these threads about Brad, is that most people have little or no issues, but the few who do are VERY vocal about it. I've ordered from him and got my items without any problems. He's been very friendly and helpful. I'll admit the website is useless, so I just email him what I need and we go from there. So, I tend to disregard complaints by people who refer to his customers as either "brave or stupid". Seems to me that's a rather bad way to go about getting respect on forums where probably 75 percent of the members have done business with Best Electronics.

It is much more than a few.. 

Brad's ears must be burning red. There's another thread about him in the 8-bit section.

Like I said there, I've ordered from Brad in the past and haven't had any issues with him or the order. OK ... his website is a throwback to the 90s. :) But, it seems to be regularly updated and is accurate. If I have a question then I email him and he answers promptly. His packages are sturdy and filled with lots of packing peanuts to protect the hardware.

In my emails to him I always state what I would like to order along with the part number and quantity. He responds with a shipping quote and I follow up with payment. Never had a problem.

He updates the subject line by adding the word "More" to the front of it. If I start my email to him with "RFQ for Atari Gizmo" then his final email to me to confirm shipment will be something like "More More More More RFQ for Atari Gizmo". I guess that's an easy way to count four emails exchanged? ?

• Like 1

I've ordered from Best in the past and have never had an issue.

I get it when you run a business that ships every day all by yourself. I've had employees in the past, now it's just me (my wife doesn't assist due to a spinal injury from a car accident). I do get irritable doing this all by myself. And I have been testy when people want to change their order AFTER I have packed it. And yes, I do make stupid forgetful mistakes (not often, but it happens).

Many of you know I have a Doctor Who business in Indiana (Who North America, http://www.whona.com ) and yes, Brad does need a better website solution. I don't know Brad personally, never met him, don't know if he has something I will need in the future, but I know a lot of us who do this day after day, year after year, slowly go nuts.

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 2