• It's only worth a Redbox Rental
    • It's so-so
    • There's no duct tape on Mars to fix this piece of crap
  2. 2. Should I buy Doom or Uncharted 4?

• Doom
    • Uncharted 4
    • Just play Bioshock again

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I felt it was an evolution of the series instead of using modern gaming "fads" like that dreaded two weapon carry limit. I absolutely HATE that. I still think Brutal Doom is more fun, but I really like the new Doom still.

Kinda off topic but anyone else see the new Doom board game? I bought a used copy of the original one last year at a decent price. Still having trouble finding the expansion at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Ive gotten alot deeper into the game and enjoy it more. Being an original Doom player I didnt like D3 that much. The addon pack was better, but overall was just ok for me.

I think they nailed it with the new Doom - it captures the frantic pace that I remember playing the original with some pretty good graphics on my PC. They've blended in some nice elements of Quake IMHO - esp with the online play.

I only have 2 gripes which are minor:

1. The "pigs" are extremely difficult to dispatch and a few areas have 3+

2. The chainsaw needs more gas :)

1. The "pigs" are extremely difficult to dispatch and a few areas have 3+

"Pigs"

Do you mean the pinky demons? (the ones that charge straight at you and seem to have an armor coat)

Just strafe to the left or right as they come charging at you. Then, pummel them from behind.

Or, use a rocket launcher and aim at the ground just behind them. That will hit their weak spot.

Another strategy is to use the Super Shotgun (double barreled), and shoot them head-on as you are strafing around them. Seems to pierce through their armor, especially if you have Quad Damage.

"Pigs"

Do you mean the pinky demons? (the ones that charge straight at you and seem to have an armor coat)

Just strafe to the left or right as they come charging at you. Then, pummel them from behind.

Or, use a rocket launcher and aim at the ground just behind them. That will hit their weak spot.

Another strategy is to use the Super Shotgun (double barreled), and shoot them head-on as you are strafing around them. Seems to pierce through their armor, especially if you have Quad Damage.

Ive gotten to the point I can dispatch them, they are just a bit too strong IMHO. In the classic maps there are quite a few and you get very little ammo to start with. Ive only been able to complete 1 of the classic maps, they are brutally tough with the new bad guys and not alot of firepower.

Ive gotten to the point I can dispatch them, they are just a bit too strong IMHO. In the classic maps there are quite a few and you get very little ammo to start with. Ive only been able to complete 1 of the classic maps, they are brutally tough with the new bad guys and not alot of firepower.

I think they are pretty well spaced out in the main campaign. But yeah, if you are playing the classic maps, expect an increased level of challenge because there are going to be a lot of them. The modern engine and enemies weren't designed with those classic levels in mind, you should take those levels as more of an expert challenge than anything.

I've played a lot more now, and whilst I still don't think they completely 'Nailed it', since getting to the hell levels, I'm starting to like it more.

What has been bugging me, is how similar it felt to another game, and I just could not think what that game was.

Goochman mentioned a few posts up about the Quake elements, and the lightbulb went on!

Quake 3: Arena was exactly what it felt like to me, with the smaller, multiplayer like levels that you're locked into, that are sort of circular. Doom 3 and Quake 3 mashed up is what I'm thinking now.

Only with more bad guys. Those Barons of Hell are nasty buggers and need a lot of ammo to dispatch, and the Summoners are just bloody annoying with their flitting about.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it, though it has taken me a while to get it.

I just got a PS4 and my step-bro strongly recommended DOOM....I'm not THAT far in but I am having a lot of fun with it. Frantic!

I'm glad I read up on how to play it effectively before I got it...not many FPS reward you for going balls crazy when your health is low, so my instinct would have been to hide like a little....ahem. Even the "rhythm" of the game, realizing I was largely being shuttled (unless I explored) from one large-ish, locked down battle arena to the next, took a while to dawn on me.

The few times I have tried to play it like COD or the like....things did not go well!

This game is somewhat detrimental to my "old age"...I'm just not as fast as I used to be, so "sticking and weaving" is harder to do. :( It's not a game I would want to play right before bed time. lol But overall, it's a great game and fun to play, even though the demons usually get the best of me. I'll just keep practicing until I can dance around them and leave them in my dust. :D

• 1 year later...

Forgot this thread existed.

Might as well add that Doom at the end of February on Switch got a heavy update as well.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/53ebGWNcOAgOSoqcSmgIoK/doom-switch-update-adds-motion-controls-and-party-support

Gist of it is pretty simple there. What isn't as clear though is the improvements, but if you see this DF clip it's notable that they optimized the CPU code well and bumped up the average resolutions too:

Smoother frame rate, higher dynamic resolutions around over where it had been, optional full on motion aiming control, and glitch fixes around for some audio, menu lag, a possible crash, stretched textures and more done too.