IGNORED

6502 Made out of discrete components

roland p

But what computer can use it? It can only do a few hundred hz at best and nearly everything that uses the CPU is 1MHz minimum.

I am pretty sure it can't be used in C64, too many timing issues with IEC, video, etc to make this work. What about NES? There are some guide about overclocking NES by cutting the clock line to CPU while leaving PPU intact. If it can be underclocked, how about running that huge CPU on NES?

Pfffft... wake me up when they have a through-hole version.

Kidding. It is totally beautiful, and I wish I could afford to splash out for it. I'd create a diode-matrix ROM board for it to run from, and display it all in a frame.

• Like 1

Get a case of firework sparklers. Light it on fire. Same effect but a lot cheaper. :D

Those tube will blow and when you need 50,000 tubes to emulate one CPU, the heat and power requirement will be staggering plus you'd be running around a lot replacing a blown tube every few seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that's cool. I like seeing projects like this. As for what it can be used for, I could go on, but mostly DIY computer systems. Lots of people build 4-8 bit computers out of discrete components. Hell, I even have an ALU that I hand coded on an EPROM. That was fun doing all 4K of calculations by hand...

• 2 weeks later...