Keatah

Does anyone have Tele-Cat // BBS software

Does anyone remember (and have available to post) a freeware BBS software package called Tele-Cat // v2.0 and v3.0? It was specifically for the Apple-Cat II modem. I'd love to get an unadulterated copy of each version if anyone has them.

I'm in the process of going through my own library to see what I can come up with. But the prospects are grim so far.

Update:

I found Tele-Cat ][+ 1.0, this is a modified feature enhanced version of Tele-Cat // v2.0 by the Electron & the Surgeon.

Edited by Keatah

Yes. There doesn't seem to be any version of Tele-Cat on Asimov. Unless it's buried in a non-descript user's group disk collection or part of a larger image. I've been through most of those already, too.

Tele-Cat was my favorite freeware BBS of the day. I hope to image the other versions in good time, if I can find them in my stash!

• Like 1

I haven't checked it out and it will probably be a week or two before I do.. I'm curious what you liked about the software in comparison to GBBS (wasnt that the popular one?)?

Do you know by chance, if TEleCat will work with a //gs?

I liked it because it jibed with my programming style and was essentially freeware. It also worked nicely with the Apple-Cat, allowing 1200baud simplex operation without the expensive 212 card. Though I did get one soon enough. The type of crowd that owned Apple-Cats appealed to me too and I knew other people that had it - so "tech support" was nearby. For whatever that's worth..

GBBS rigs seemed to have a lot of doors and roleplaying stuff-n-fluff. I never got into that.

I guess TC would work with a GS, in II mode of course, the main requirement is an Apple-Cat modem. Naturally.

Edited by Keatah

Keatah - your mention of "the type of crowd that owned apple cats" leads me to believe you were either a phreak (or pirate - or both) or were an engineering level computer user...

IF a phreak I'd love to talk more....

Engineering. I appreciated the versatility of what the Cat had to offer. I often used it as a motor controller.

I am sorry to report that while I found a copy of Tele-Cat II v3.0, it is incomplete. Despite there being no errors on the floppy, several files are missing. I have another carton of disks to go through, but the prospects are all but nil.

..except I was wrong and in my mounds of disks I found a complete un-altered distro copy of Tele-Cat II v3.0 and I also came across Tele-Cat II v2.5 and Nexus 2.0.

Never underestimate the archiving power of a skid of diskettes!

Edited by Keatah

Recovered Tele-Cat II v2.0 !! Woot!! And tons other unposted and unseen material from the BBS days.

I know for a fact I do not have Tele-Cat v1.0, it was never in my library to begin with.

would like to get a copy of the earlier versions of telecat and nexus... plus the other stuff you mentioned...

The telecat stuff you should find on asimov ftp. As I continue going through my disks they'll show up at asimov or internet archive.