IGNORED

ABBUC Softwarecompetition 2016

skr

Hi all,

I´m late this year, sorry for that. But of course the ABBUC Softwarecompetition will continue. Slightly updates rules will follow, find the latest news at:

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1795-software-wettbewerb-2016

Most important change: This year there will be TWO (2) categories, both will pay 500€ for the first place:

"Games" and "Applications"

Stay tuned for more information. Happy Coding!

• Like 9

Excellent idea to have two categories! Hope we get some good applications to use for Atari.

What is considered Atari application ? Is it only stuff running on Atari or can it be PC application that works in some way related to Atari ? (Graphics editors, tools like wudsn etc.)

The most basic rule of all is:

The software has to run on a stock Atari 8 Bit computer. No PC application.

For example Martin Kaspar´s entry converts *.bmp-files to an Atari format. Those bmp´s have to be created on a Linux/Mac/Windows machine and somehow be transferred to the Atari. But the application itself completely runs on the Atari 8 Bit, so it is a valid entry.

The Updated rules are online: http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1795-software-wettbewerb-2016

Direct link to the PDF with the rules in english: http://www.abbuc.de/images/software/contest2016/regeln/ABBUC_Softwarecompetition_2016_Rules.pdf

• Like 2

That is just wonderful, I love the idea of a software competition.

July 31st...wow.

I have a work in progress. Although I'm writing a clone of a magazine released software...("Worm of Bemer"), I'm also, at the same time fundamentally changing and extending the game for an additional release ("Snake of Bemer"). So I think that would qualify under "a) further development of an already released program, if the program is essentially extended or changed"

I think I'll be OK, since it's 100% rewritten in my own code with all new graphics. However, I guess based on the rule that stipulates "existing brand names / titles are changed" that I'd be safer not to call it Snake of Bemer? Just Frake the Snake, I guess.....

Wow, I'm already dreaming of coming in 9th or 10th place...should I code today, or work on my acceptance speech...haha....lol

I'm kidding folks, but this is awesome, I love this contest, I sure I hope I can finish in time to make a submissions, this is really motivating.

• Like 3

Well I look forward to everyone discussing their ABBUC projects.

It caused me to swiftly change focus and stop screwing around with unimportant details. My son kept asking me when he was going to see the snake....and I was like 'in due time' 'in due time'

Now I'm like, July 31st is almost here!!! OMG PANIC....time to get all snake animations done and in the can, I've got other things to do on this game....lol.

• Like 3

I'm thinking of doing something but I haven't even started(!) so it will be based on my Ramp Rage code and some things that I hopefully coded in but did not use - might not be done in time..

If anyone without a project wants to do some MAP/Playfield graphics (I used Envision on the Atari) and Player Missile graphics (I used Genesis) nothing fancy, so you don't have to be a artistic genius please get in touch! All I would need are data files in a format suitable for use with MAC/65 :)

• Like 1

Will someone please start some trash talk :)

hahaha...

start of work on one of the rooms

Don't get me wrong, it's a snake game - it's not the next Zelda.

But, it's all I got, so I have to talk some trash.

Look - this is, at the very least, shaping up to be a top five snake game for atari 8-bit in 2016 :)

I've taken so much lag out of the controls, it actually planned out your moves before you even pick up the joystick at this point.

Sigh...ok, carry on...nothing to see here, just Dmitry rambling about snakes again

• Like 3

I've got right back into assembly programming after a year or so off, it's really enjoyable. Strangely I've not got a name for my game yet. A couple of problems to work out but it's going well! While I wait for my 130XE to run it's latest MAC/65 assemble...

C'mon who else is working on something for this year's contest?

Still open to anyone wanting to help out (it will be a Space Themed Vertical Scroller, I know, imagine that!)

PMGs - Single player PMGs / animations

Playfields - Single character set playfield design, can be from scratch or just laying out some maps using what I have done already. Will be Antic 5 / Graphics 13 again (like in Ramp Rage) but more colours can be use for the design as I will have less features.

Title Screen!

Sound effects - not time for a complex system so would be some simple ones perhaps created in basic and give me the values?

:)

Will someone please start some trash talk :)

hahaha...

Look - this is, at the very least, shaping up to be a top five snake game for atari 8-bit in 2016 :)

I've taken so much lag out of the controls, it actually planned out your moves before you even pick up the joystick at this point.

Sigh...ok, carry on...nothing to see here, just Dmitry rambling about snakes again

Sorry Dmitry.........But......its..............

A good entry...

I refuse to knock anyone who takes the time to write an entry for a competition...Well done...

No trouser snakes tho please!!!

Me working on an older project. I've simplified graphics a lot to increase chances of making it on time.

Already have most of graphics done. And sound effects are 100% done thanks to outside help.

Will try to finish it in time this year even if it means couple of non-sleeping nights at end of July ... Maybe it will be just a small dude walking around punching zombies but at least it will start, have sound and there will be game over - all other stuff is optional ;)

• Like 7

Good luck :)

You are from Serbia, right? I am from Slovenia, so we are relatively close, considering other Atari fellows. Just PM me or something when you come to Slovenia :)

Greetings

Yeah, looks like you are the closest Atari enthusiast to me :)

No worries, you'll here from me for sure once Abbucc is finished... Have some ideas of incorporating your Effectus compiler into my game maker so will need help. Slovenia is on my list for visit so expect a call once we start going your way :)

Nothing better than discussing 6502 code over barbecue and glass of cold drink ;)

oh no...no no no....

my whole strategy for this contest was based on the idea that nobody else would submit an entry....

Hey...been playing a little Mad Marbles today, http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-mad-marbles_3087.html, scoping out the competition.

you know, instead of coding.....maybe I should code, yeah, thinking that might be a good idea

• Like 3