IGNORED

ABBUC Softwarecompetition 2016

skr

I tried dye with the touch tablet! It's cool but the game doesn't seem to poll the stylus button. Only the side keys on the tablet are functional.

This got me thinking... so I got out my old Koala Pad and tested Rain of Terror with it. It works! To me it seems "reversed" though, so I flipped the pad upside down and it seems more natural that way. This would be a very simple future update to allow proper touchpad support.

Also, I am still working on a future joystick-support update for R.o.T. This is proving to be quite challenging since we really want to maintain the game-play experience like the paddle controller provides. It is making progress though.

In the meantime... break out your paddles if you have them!!! If you don't have any paddles, then try R.o.T. on emulation capturing the mouse to the paddle, it works really well that way too.

• Like 1

This year it's not easy to vote!

Many different genre games, all very well done.

Christian's smart game (as usual), Thomas and Mario's AAA game, Vladimir sandbox game (with lot of potential for future updates), Jason's shoot 'em up (his skills continue to improve), Martin's elegant game, not to mention the other games (paddle game, quiz game, 1KB game...), very nice too.

• Like 7

There is a nice mix of games this year :thumbsup:

erichenneke - I'm liking R.o.T. but was wondering if the scoring bonus is too large compared to the scores in game. I will play some more. Paddles games are usually fun and accessible but there are several versions of each game type; but R.o.T. is something different :thumbsup:

;)

@therealbountybob: I'm sorry, but I didn't understand your game at all - and the manual in the ABBUC magazine doesn't really help. With your explanations I'll give it another try. Some questions:

But you have to admit that the STORY in the manual behind this game was AWESOME!

• Like 1

There is a nice mix of games this year :thumbsup:

erichenneke - I'm liking R.o.T. but was wondering if the scoring bonus is too large compared to the scores in game. I will play some more. Paddles games are usually fun and accessible but there are several versions of each game type; but R.o.T. is something different :thumbsup:

;)

happy you are enjoying R.o.T.

we spent quite a bit of time calibrating the scoring so that it makes sense and fosters the overall challenge at various levels of game play. In the very early missions ( 1-4 ) the bonuses may indeed seem a little gratuitous, but this is a trick because once you start getting to higher missions it becomes very challenging to get the full bonus available. And then when you really progress up into advanced missions it becomes challenging to get any bonus points at all ! The special bonus rounds (after every 3rd normal mission is completed ) are the same situation... the first bonus round is very easy to get the "perfect" score and extra bonus points, but when you get to the next bonus round at mission 8 you start to realize "oh, this isn't so easy, is it?" :)

so, the point is, enjoy those easy bonus points in the first few missions because after that you will have to really earn the bonus points later on! Also, once you get good at nailing the planes ( important to make it very far in the game by the way) you can really rack up points that way too since planes are 1000 each!

Curious to see how folks are doing in terms of scores and highest missions achieved ???

• Like 1

OK some more explanation is needed for Space Fortress Omega!!

[The manual is on Disk 126B, Game on Disk 50B requires a cold boot]

I don't want to over complicate things as getting to the end of each level is all you need to do, but here are some screenshots of the key items:

1. Collect Omega Missiles - fly over the orange things! You can carry 5, they show on the status bar.
post-19705-0-99243600-1476552374_thumb.png
2. Shoot Power Generator Cores "Targets", they are usually surrounded by orange blocks and look like the target icon on the status bar. You need a missile to do this. In the abbuc version some are just in the open, but now they are fully encased and they have protective doors that open and close from level 3. The status bar shows targets remaining, only up to 5 shown. On the screenshot the left one has been "repaired" and the right one has not been shot/repaired.

post-19705-0-83003000-1476552421_thumb.png
3. Recharge your Energy by flying through the Energy Tunnels - the orange and white striped areas. You will have to go through one of these to enter the fortress anyway.
post-19705-0-02481700-1476552455_thumb.png

Weapons switching is only on ACE skill which has manual firing, hold fire for a shorter period to toggle them (you hear a tune). It doesn't do much on the abbuc version but it now tracks the baddies and is pretty neat!

Rankings are based on levels completed, levels where you repaired the required number of targets and other factors relating to your performance!

Like I said I'm still working on a few tweaks and applying some game polish. If anyone finds any bugs (I've fixed the score 1 looking like a 0!) or has any suggestions please let me know as I have a few bytes left. Also wanted someone to do artwork for a small box and some short tune data e.g. values for notes and durations would be welcome - e.g. end of level, new level, game over...
:)

• Like 2

OK some more explanation is needed for Space Fortress Omega!!

[The manual is on Disk 126B, Game on Disk 50B requires a cold boot]

I don't want to over complicate things as getting to the end of each level is all you need to do, but here are some screenshots of the key items:

1. Collect Omega Missiles - fly over the orange things! You can carry 5, they show on the status bar.

attachicon.gifCollect Omega Missiles.png

2. Shoot Power Generator Cores "Targets", they are usually surrounded by orange blocks and look like the target icon on the status bar. You need a missile to do this. In the abbuc version some are just in the open, but now they are fully encased and they have protective doors that open and close from level 3. The status bar shows targets remaining, only up to 5 shown. On the screenshot the left one has been "repaired" and the right one has not been shot/repaired.

attachicon.gifShoot Power Generators.png

3. Recharge your Energy by flying through the Energy Tunnels - the orange and white striped areas. You will have to go through one of these to enter the fortress anyway.

attachicon.gifTop Up Your Energy.png

Weapons switching is only on ACE skill which has manual firing, hold fire for a shorter period to toggle them (you hear a tune). It doesn't do much on the abbuc version but it now tracks the baddies and is pretty neat!

Rankings are based on levels completed, levels where you repaired the required number of targets and other factors relating to your performance!

Like I said I'm still working on a few tweaks and applying some game polish. If anyone finds any bugs (I've fixed the score 1 looking like a 0!) or has any suggestions please let me know as I have a few bytes left. Also wanted someone to do artwork for a small box and some short tune data e.g. values for notes and durations would be welcome - e.g. end of level, new level, game over...

:)

very helpful... will try it out again with this new knowledge. :)

• Like 1

Hi all, sending a reminder about this Rain of Terror high score challenge going on right now!

post-38281-0-04421600-1476639267_thumb.jpg

The highest score achieved by end of November 6 will receive the first physical/boxed version of the game (numbered 0001), and the winner will also get a real set of Atari paddle controllers!

Please PM me with your best score (and with a digital pic or screenshot please). Real hardware or PC emulation is fine either way.

Details are all here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252742-abbuc-softwarecompetition-2016/?p=3607025

• Like 1

What?! We need to vote now - 1 week ahead of the meeting??

email with votes name and abbuc membership # to "club central" ???

I usually send my email to Gunnar Kannold (who is Bunsen here on Atariage). so hope this is ok? OK I sent a proper email to software @ abbuc . de

I'd think any emailed votes before the meeting will count due to the circumstances this year (the disks being sent out later than planned) :)

• Like 1

Better send it to wolfgang @ abbuc de. I won't visit annual meeting this year, and also send my votes per email to Wolfgang.

Who is who?

Wolfgang Burger - President of ABBUC (Master of the Universe ;-)

Sascha Kriegel - AtariAge member skr - Head of Software Department of ABBUC (Temporarily unavailable)

Marc Brings - AtariAge member Sleepy(?) - Head of Hardware Department of ABBUC

Me - I'm nothing (kind of dogsbody :-))

Edited by Bunsen
  • Like 4

Sascha Kriegel - AtariAge member skr - Head of Software Department of ABBUC (Temporarily unavailable)

Well at least it looks like he's alive. Got us really worried when we heard news about him being in hospital. Hope he's doing better and will return to Atari soon! Wish him all the best!
  • Like 4

Here are some more wip screenshots of Space Fortess Omega since abbuc entry showing some new features:

I'm pleased with this one - the fortress maintenance alien guys have just installed vertical doors which makes things much more interesting from level 4 onwards.

post-19705-0-99743000-1477090802_thumb.png

post-19705-0-49426900-1477090811_thumb.png

Plus Reactor Cores have doors which open and close from level 3 onwards - remember you can scroll slowly but not wait forever - also slow scrolling depletes energy more quickly!

post-19705-0-49572000-1477090822_thumb.png

Weapons now lock on to baddies - they zip across screen diagonally trying to get to the enemies. Can be toggled on/off by longer press of fire button. (On Ace skill which has manual firing)

post-19705-0-10816200-1477090829_thumb.png

Remember to vote everyone ;)

• Like 4

If any of you would like to put Rain of Terror on a MyIde2 device using the FAT32 Loader (like I wanted to do!), you might have tried it and found it doesn't load up properly as-is.

No worries, use this simple patcher!

Extract this .rar file, and then copy your ROT.XEX file off of the ABBUC SOMAG49A.ATR into the same directory.

Then run the ROTPATCH.BAT which will create ROT4MY2.XEX. Then you can use ROT4MY2.XEX and it will work great with the MyIde2 FAT32 Loader.

Props to ProWizard for coming up with the patch approach used here. Works great! :)
-Eric
  • Like 3

According to my source these are the results (I don't know the points) :)

Games:

1. Dimo's Dungeon - 8BitJunkie, Mario130XE and others

2. Dye - Irgendwer

3. The Monk - Popmilo, Miker

4. Skyscraper - MatoSimi, José Pereira, stRing

5. Name This Game - Bob The Bug, Miker

6. Space Fortress Omega - TheRealBountyBob

7. 1K ATASCII Blaster - Freetz

8. Rain of Terror - Eric Henneke, Rob Schlortt

9. Big Mess - Rockford

10. Get Up! - 8BitJunkie, VD TONIC

Utilities: