IGNORED

STE BOOSTER 32MHz project & pre-odering

Got the TOS board installed last night, I'm going to wait on the booster til next week, but curious, my system starts up in 50Hz, I assume I'm running UK roms? Is there an easy way to get the US, or is there a quick change program I can run in AUTO for the time being? Monitor I have doesn't look so good in 50hz mode.

There is a link on this thread to a 60Hz program for your auto folder:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230918-how-do-i-change-my-ste-from-pal-to-ntsc/

There is a link on this thread to a 60Hz program for your auto folder:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230918-how-do-i-change-my-ste-from-pal-to-ntsc/

OMG some of the posts from TheAtariKing are hilarious, what a tool. Thanks for the link. Already boxed up my STe, I'll have to put it on disk so I have it for the soiree.

Fingers crossed, and with a bit of luck and a following wind, now my server is repaired, I'm going to try and at least remove the PLCC from the STE this weekend. IF all goes well, the booster may get fitted, and the external switches to choose which TOS, and 8/32MHZ will also go in. I will get photos as I go along and will put up a separate thread on here, plus share on Facebook, so everybody can share my experiences. Wish me luck!!

I ordered some nice switches for this update as well, can't wait to try and install it sometime next week. I just hope my desoldering skills are up to the challenge.

I ordered some nice switches for this update as well, can't wait to try and install it sometime next week. I just hope my desoldering skills are up to the challenge.

When I de-soldered the AJAX fdc in order to add the 1.44Mb Fdd upgrade to my STE, it was quite a hairy experience.

I'd also say that during that task, sticking to a single de-soldering process didn't work for me, I used a mixture of pump and wick in the end. If you're using a pump, be super careful, as the last thing you need is to either lift tracks or damage via's.

I have a really good pump, that doesn't jerk at the end of the piston travel, which helps massively, BUT if you're not in that situation, you probably want to avoid. If you're not confident with de-soldering, or haven't done much, you probably want to avoid a pump altogether.

Be very careful about overheating the tracks and via's too, it's all too easy to do this and have them lift, even if you're not using a pump.

My advice would be don't rush it, take your time, and use the guide by exxos.

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance of supporting any other Atari platforms? Seeing that nobody's building the XBoard for the 7800, you could easily corner that market. Especially for the European-based enthusiasts since it would be a plug-in since the MARIA chip on the European 7800s supposedly weren't soldered onto the mobos [unlike the majority of North American 7800s, allegedly].

http://www.x-game.se/products/xboard.htm

:)

Yeah. The XBoard for the 7800 would be a nice niche for any person technically inclined enough to create it. I would like to see that. No rush, if people are busy with other things, however. But, it would be nice. :)

Edited by jericho_21

I would love to boost my STE so games run faster. Is this the solution I am looking for? Anyone in the USA that I can send my ST to for the install? I dont trust me:)

AFAIK I am currently either the only person, or at least one of an extremely small number of people, who have installed this upgrade successfully. If you follow the instructions by exxos, and also review the guides by myself and nukebloodaxe, which there are links for at the bottom of exxos' guide, then it is possible to install successfully, but it is time consuming (Patience is a must) and requires good soldering skills. http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/V1STE/index.htm

Killing your STE is most definitely a possibility. As is losing about 4-5 hours of your free time!

Of the small number of games I've tested very briefly (Lack of time is a killer atm), which are all 3d games, there is a significant and noticeable boost in speed. I don't know if that will be the same for 2d games.

As soon as I have the time I will be making some comparison videos.

• 1 month later...