IGNORED

Stupid Things You Hear Collectors Say

So I have a doozy for you. Had someone tell me today that "No game from the PS1 generation on, that's sold well, is worth any money as there are too many copies floating around".

I can't even begin to describe how absolutely ridiculous that statement is, especially considering Smash Brother's worth, which is also the N64's highest selling cart.

Have any you'd like to share?

• Like 4

1. PC Engine/Neo Geo/SNES/NES/whatever_system_you_like games shouldn't cost anything more than what they did new.

2. Re-sellers are ruining collecting.

3. People that pay more than $xx for a game are crazy/stupid/wasting money/whatever.

4. That game is worth $xxx because some guy on ebay has a BIN for that price.

5. VGA grading is worth while and done by a trustworthy organization that wants to make collecting safer.

Edited by 98PaceCar

Not to me. Never understood why a sheet of shrinkwrap increases the "value" of a game tenfold.

especially when shrink wrap machines are cheaper to come by than most "rarity 5" games.

I love it when you buy a new, sealed in box game off eBay, and it has no catalogs, and the limited warranty page has scribbled cheat codes in it.

• Like 5

especially when shrink wrap machines are cheaper to come by than most "rarity 5" games.

I love it when you buy a new, sealed in box game off eBay, and it has no catalogs, and the limited warranty page has scribbled cheat codes in it.

That's the magic... They know that most people wo'nt open them either, so why not?

sealed items collectors are ready to pay big bucks, and that's magic, they won't check the merchandise :D

I'm sure that many seald collectards have at least ONE game in their collection that contain, at best, a NES Tennis carts instead of a Castlevania 3, or just even a piece of plywood.

It's expecially amusing to see shrinkwrapped games when you know that they were sold in store "naked".

Most NES games I recall were sold with a "Nintendo" sticker, and weren't shrinkwrapped.

N64 games were sold in antithef blisters, no shrinkwrapping.

"All Nintendo Playstation games are valuable" when they are pointing to pile of sport games for Genesis. I have yet to see a single Genesis sport title in the wild that is worth more than 25 cents CIB or 10 cents cart only.

"Yeah it still works" on a $500 NES deck that looks like it was tied to a mud buggy that did 100 laps around Swamp of Eternal Stench.

Gamestop: anything and EVERYTHING they ever said. Like giving you $2.16 for a huge lot of NES games including Stadium Events, Caltron 6-in-1, NWC, etc.

• Like 4

"4. That game is worth $xxx because some guy on ebay has a BIN for that price."

-This one kills me. I occasionally look at completed listings to see how crazy things have gotten...but just because some whacko has a stupid high BIN means absolutely squat.

Games from PS1 forward that sold well not worth anything huh? Yeah, sure... ok. These are all popular titles, and are what I consider slightly expensive for used PS1 titles. That's not even really digging to prove a point. Granted these are titles I either bought as they were coming out, or as the PS2 was hitting heavy, so my opinion may be a bit skewed on whether $40-70 is expensive for a used title.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=symphony%20of%20the%20night&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=symphony+of+the+night&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.Xcastlevania+chronicles.TRS0&_nkw=castlevania+chronicles&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Final+Fantasy+7&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XLunar+SIlver+.TRS0&_nkw=lunar+silver+star+story+complete&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=silent+hill+origins&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsilent+hill+shattered+.TRS0&_nkw=silent+hill+shattered+memories+ps2&_sacat=0

• Like 2

"Nobody wants X system games". Well clearly I do, or I wouldn't have mentioned it! (Usually comes up when I find a new place and discover they don't carry pre-crash systems).

"Why would you/wouldn't you want the box? It's a box!" This one's funny because only half of my collection is CIB, so depending on what I'm buying I've heard why it's so vital to have the original packaging, or why it's a total waste of money.

History lessons- "Oh, this game. Nintendo sued Atari over these you know. It all started..."

Not gonna lie, I'm SUPER guilty of this. I do a lot of retro shopping with a friend who doesn't spend a lot of time online, and I don't often get to gush about the neat stories I find around. If I have a chance to tell someone the origins of the Cosmic Ark start field, I'm gonna! (I'm also grateful she's never told me to shut up, I probably deserve it.)

"You could just emulate that and save the money, you know." Keetah. :P

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 4

Indeed resellers are killing the hobby.

I also hate it when they say the NES saved computergaming, without the NES we wouldn't play computergames any more. It may have had a big impact on the US market, but not in Europe.

• Like 3

"The Jaguar would have dominated the industry if X, Y, Z, A, B, and C."

I think the thing that drives me the craziest isn't usually explicitly said so much, but there's this attitute with the newer waves of collectors where they treat every console before 1985 as a series of necessary mistakes leading up to the NES.

• Like 4

Indeed resellers are killing the hobby.

Well the hobby is far from dying. While some resellers may buy multiple copies of a game to drive the price up, fact is most people who cry and bitch over what prices are, are the same people who wouldn't pay the going rate anyhow. I mean if they would the resellers wouldn't be buying them all. Think about it, if you are not willing to pay going rate now you don't want it that bad.

Just buy it if you want it, stop complaining about it. Resellers are not killing the hobby. Fact is more people want these games than before and people are willing to pay for them. It's plain and simple. If the price is bad it will not sell. If the price is right :) they will sell. If you want to blame anyone blame Tim Berners-Lee for creating the internet.

Prices are not going down anytime soon. These games were available for purchase over the past 20-30 years and now people want to complain over not buying them back when they were $5.

• Like 3

"Sony ruined video gaming with casual games" (recently replaced with the Wii)

"Sega cared about the gamers and made REAL games"

(before the Wii U release)"I don't care about graphisms as long as the gameplay is good, those next gen consoles are a waste" (after the Wii U release) "Nintendo screwed up, the Wii U is weak, it's barely Xbox 360 graphisms"

(before the Wii) "Games are always the same, can't they innovate?" (after the Wii and Wii U) "I hate those motion controls, can't they stick to traditionnal controls?"

Works with game concepts too. "Coudl'tn they change the series a bit? it's getting old" (game release) "this new concept is BS, I want my game as it was before"

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

Well the hobby is far from dying. While some resellers may buy multiple copies of a game to drive the price up, fact is most people who cry and bitch over what prices are, are the same people who wouldn't pay the going rate anyhow. I mean if they would the resellers wouldn't be buying them all. Think about it, if you are not willing to pay going rate now you don't want it that bad.

Just buy it if you want it, stop complaining about it. Resellers are not killing the hobby. Fact is more people want these games than before and people are willing to pay for them. It's plain and simple. If the price is bad it will not sell. If the price is right :) they will sell. If you want to blame anyone blame Tim Berners-Lee for creating the internet.

Prices are not going down anytime soon. These games were available for purchase over the past 20-30 years and now people want to complain over not buying them back when they were $5.

Oke let me be a bit more specific. There are a few "collectors" in my neighborhood that buy everything up, have a few guys that go to all the local fleamarkets and pick all the nice stuff, and resell or trade with other collectors for ebay prices and lowball you.

I also trade stuff with other collectors, but i trade them for fair prices, that are way beyond the usual going rate.

Maybe i'm stupid for doing so, but i hate it to lowball people.

• Like 3