IGNORED

12 Second Delay Screen

SKELETOR68

I must be the only Gamer that enjoys the 12 sec delay once the power is turned on, once Parker Brothers Removed it from their games, I was dissapointed (not to the point where I was lossing my mind!) I like that "Coleco Vision Presents" not like my Atari 2600 where the game is right on the screen the second the power is on.

• Like 2

When a cartridge has intermittent issues of crashing or whatever, it is annoying to have to sit through the 12 second delay, just to find out that I had to wiggle the cartridge a bit more to the left (as an example) to increase its stability. Or maybe clean it a bit more (with a q-tip and iso alcohol), or something. I don't blow on carts, ever! That tactic is a giant myth that ruins carts slowly over time.

If my colecovision was brand new, maybe I wouldn't have this issue, but it occasionally does. It just needs some tweaking and tlc every so often, and I can play.

I for one WELCOME the removal of this 12 second irritating pause when a game is first powered on.

If this pause is needed for the bios to work or something, then I suppose I understand.

Edited by KAZ

I did get a Yurkie Vision with the upgrades, Power Switch, New power cored, Pause Button and the currly cords strait for the two controlers, And I did ask to keep the 12 delay left in, and he did everything I asked for. I am indeed very happy with my new to me Coleco. Still gives me time to open a beer or light a smoke.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It can take up to several minutes to load a Commodore 64 game. That is annoying. 12 seconds is not a problem. Atari 2600 games load instantly, but you can spend up to 6 or 10 seconds using the select and reset switch to load the exact game variant you want. So 12 seconds isn't really that long. It's part of the charm that makes the ColecoVision what it is. If you want to get rid of it, you should use emulation. (I know emulators retain the 12 second bios, but you get my point).

It can take up to several minutes to load a Commodore 64 game. That is annoying.

Except for cartridge games... which load instantly. Those colecovision games that load from tape and disk can take forever ;-)

Steve

I know emulators retain the 12 second bios, but you get my point.

There are numerous hacked version of the ColecoVision BIOS rom that you can use in place of the original version with any emulator, you just have to rename it properly. The one I like to use with emulators is the one where you can press the firebutton to skip the 12 second BIOS/title screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in the UK and so spent my time as a kid playing a PAL CV which has no delay. Moving to Canada, buying an NTSC CV, and experiencing the 12 second delay frustrated the hell out of me. I guess with all these things it comes down to what you get used to. That said I now use the fire skip BIOS in my NTSC machines and love having the option to either wait or skip.