IGNORED

maniac miner graphics mode

This game? http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-maniac-miner_3135.html

I don't think I've played it but it looks like Mode E to me (aka OS Graphics 15).

Some games use hires modes 320 pixels across with PM underlays to give more colours. Examples are modern conversions such as Pentragram http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252145-new-game-released-pentagram/

Also Manic Miner, in fact probably the best example http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252067-manic-miner-released/

Is it me or does maniac miner use mono graphics mode 8 AND have many colours? Perhaps it's just because I'm using a small'ish laptop, anyone care to expand?

It's using Players and missiles to add color. Expanded with precise color changes. Some of the changes are in middle of horizontal line.

Loooooots of work went creating each screen.

• Like 1

Yes, this one.

It's using Players and missiles to add color. Expanded with precise color changes. Some of the changes are in middle of horizontal line.

Loooooots of work went creating each screen.

I do understand how the colour is achieved via the use of PMG's, but I dis-believed myself because of how well it has been done, excellent... More games should be programmed like this. I always remembered/believed that the ZX Spectrum was better than the 8-bit Atari, only in this particular matter of achieving many colours in an equivalent of our mono mode-8 resolution, but now I see it can be done very well on the Atari, I now see, that in this particular regard that the Atari is as good (and if you take into consideration the Spectrum's colour clash) it is probably better. More fiddly, though, granted.

Edited by ac.tomo

Is that what he did, I didn't even pay attention. Yeah, that is a good choice for graphics mode.

One thing that I immediately didn't like about Manic Miner was the "floaty" jumping...for me personally it stops short of perfection.

But, I was amazed by the game overall, and loved the look of it. The high rez mode with display list interrupt for color changes - wow, I'm convinced that is great game mode.

I love Manic Miner, it is the best game I've played in a while. It would have made my purchase list.