IGNORED

"The Fun of Discovery."

TPR

I always considered "The Fun of Discovery" section in the Coleco manuals to mean "There are bugs... I mean, 'undocumented features' in our games...enjoy finding these little nuggets of fun, and maybe exploiting them to get better scores!"

The three that come immediately off the top of my head are:

- Donkey Kong climbing fast up the ladder trick.

- Donkey Kong warp off the first level.

- Smurfette dropping her clothes.

What are some other bugs or notable easter eggs/undocumented features you found during "The Fun of Discovery?"

I always took that statements as meaning there are many little tricks and strategies to use to make the game easier.

i.e. on Zaxxon, position your ship at one line below the top on the altimeter gauge as you fly over the large wall at the beginning of an asteroid and then dive down to destroy the fuel tanks; when you meet Zaxxon, stay on the right side of the screen and as he approaches you move over to the left slightly and fire away to destroy him;

Fast climb on D.K. (as we all know);

Many such examples exist in the world of ColecoVision!

There are a bunch of tricks I found 30 years ago in donkey kong I've never seen anyone mention.

- The fast ladders everyone found

- The Cheat to jump through the bottom of the screen on level 1 most everyone found.

But did anyone find the walking on air feature.

Or the teleportation feature

or the falling through the bottom on the second level and coming through the top of the screen feature.

I think there might be 1 or two others but there is bunch and it was fun to experiment and find them.

I always considered "The Fun of Discovery" section in the Coleco manuals to mean "There are bugs... I mean, 'undocumented features' in our games...enjoy finding these little nuggets of fun, and maybe exploiting them to get better scores!"

The three that come immediately off the top of my head are:

- Donkey Kong climbing fast up the ladder trick.

- Donkey Kong warp off the first level.

- Smurfette dropping her clothes.

What are some other bugs or notable easter eggs/undocumented features you found during "The Fun of Discovery?"

Okay, here's the direct quote:

"My final criticism is leveled at the person responsible for that ridiculous portion of the instruction booklet entitled 'The Fun of Discovery.' I racked up over 200,000 points and failed to see even one of the 'special features that make Sub-Roc exciting.' How about some tips instead of all this hot air?"

• Like 2

But did anyone find the walking on air feature.

Or the teleportation feature

or the falling through the bottom on the second level and coming through the top of the screen feature.

I think there might be 1 or two others but there is bunch and it was fun to experiment and find them.

Please elaborate! :)

• 4 weeks later...

All I know is that I was jaded at a young age because I couldn't find ANY of these 'discoveries' the jerks at Coleco had 'included' in my games :)

...and it just seemed like a way for them to format each instruction manual the same, lol.

I do remember finding out some stuff about Bump n Jump through gameplay.

So I'm sure there are some, but...you see, the way we all played these games back in the day was on Skill Level 1!!!...dumb, I know. And here I was complaining about the lack of challenge in DK, or Turbo! When I saw the explosion of the car with all the smoke for the first time, I'm pretty sure I didn't like that 'discovery' :D cool graphics, but I just loved being able to drive for hours, endlessly.

So much so that in fact, that was a myth when we were kids....that, if you drove a certain amount of distance (like HOURS), you'd eventually drive past the White House! We tried...oh, we tried. Decades later I confronted the dude (happened to be family, lol) and he said he mistook the plain old 'new city' graphic screen for the White House. I then sobbed bitter man tears over the half-day I spent driving around, looking for the White House.

And I'm not even AMERICAN!...now that's dedication :D

Anyways, discoveries.