IGNORED

LIST OF MISSING / UNDUMPED SOFTWARE

With a number of positive things on the software preservation front going on, we thought it would be a good idea to have a handy list to help users get a better picture of what still needs to be dumped. There are archives of programs available but references to what's missing are rare. We think this work will complement what both Farb is doing with the Atari Software Preservation Initiative and what we're doing at Atarimania for instance.

While we've had such a list on the forum at Atarimania for many years, it isn't easily visible. Also, the database itself gives information but not in an optimal way. Moreover, the text format used here will facilitate updates. AtariAge is likely a better place to reach more people and be more efficient.

Right now, the list mainly consists of commercial games, all sorted by publisher, but utilities are being added gradually – there are hundreds if not thousands of missing titles in that area!

Of note:

1. This list is not complete and, by nature, will never be but it should give you a general idea of what to look for. If you think you have something really rare not noted below, you can always check what's available in more detailed databases at:

- Atarimania

- Atari Software Preservation Initiative

Archive.org (a bit scattered but worth perusing)

2. This list is only for the software side of things but feel free to detail what else you may have: boxes, manuals, catalogs… 

3. No distinction has been made in regard to format. While a dump of an original is preferred, some software will just never be found other than on old cracked / pirate disks. Submissions of copied programs are highly encouraged if this is the only source. Some titles, for example, are sometimes just plain .bas files hidden on "compilation" disks. As a general rule, it is safe to say that original / protected programs will be of interest to the Atari Software Preservation Initiative in priority while copies would be for Atarimania but, in the end, the whole community would benefit from anything provided by users here!

Latest update: July 13th, 2020. 

List_of_Missing_Software_Version_1.5.pdf

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 2

THESIS
Big Math Attack [not the Softsmith re-release]

I have this! I played it all the time as a kid, when it loads it plays some cool 'old timey' ragtime music. I can send it out to someone for dumping it they want. I also have the manual.

THESIS was located in Garden City MI, which wasn't very far from where I lived at the time. I wonder how far their products were distributed?

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies so far, PM sent by one of the members of Atarimania to all three of you :)

THESIS had a number of ads in magazines and the products saw nationwide distribution. Some were on the Apple as well. The problem with educational software is that a number of titles were sold to schools directly, which limited circulation. That plus the fact programs were not resold in any way.

Neo-Rio, a couple of projects exist to centralize missing type-in entries, something similar to what's being done on the C64. Sorry, I don't have the link handy... Some do appear on Atarimania but a lot of work still needs to be done and we don't want to get in the way of some of the other efforts.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Please folks, have a think about checking to see if you have anything on Atari Frogs list, lets get it archived before it rots away, I'm nothing to do with the site, I just want the Atari remembered properly by having as many titles out there to be enjoyed as dumps. They have the site, the space and the man power for it although I do wish they would revise the download ideal!!

So go on, have a look, if you have something PASS IT ON TO THEM please.

Paul..

Well, yes, the MECC disks are missing from the list because they're "mostly" accessible, bar two or three titles. I'm not talking about the re-releases from APX or Atari, they're usually slightly different :)

The Sunburst Communications section is slightly incomplete: IIRC, there should be some four or five data disks for Missing Links. Do you have any other titles from that publisher not on the list?

Thanks!

--

Atari Frog

@Tempest and @Brentarian,

Thanks for offering up your disks for dumping. I don't know if you've sent those disks out yet or not but would you consider letting the Atari Software Preservation Initiative dump them as well?

Indeed, it would the best initial idea to get them to Farb and get a perfect dump made of them, they will also get preserved and passed on to Atarimania as well making a double record.

The Software Preservation Initiative have all the tools to do the dump and have already preserved a huge set of titles..

Really nice folks too..

Paul.

I'm not talking about the re-releases from APX or Atari, they're usually slightly different :)

I mentioned MECC mainly because most entries on Atarimania tell "disk missing" and I was puzzled to find Music I and III in your list as missing Sunburst titles.

I have all these "missing" MECC-titles but Geography and additionally the Classroom Toolbox which is not listed in the database.

How can I identify the differences between MECC and APX/Atari?

All dumps I have show the same on-disk structure and a loading screen similar to this one:

post-6495-0-16130100-1464446146_thumb.png

I also try to consolidate several dumps of Word Games into a "virgin" program disk and an additional disk with all user generated word lists from these dumps.

I got the impression that the word lists FRIENDS and DIPRAPH came with the software since these two are on every dump I have.

Can anyone confirm this?

The Sunburst Communications section is slightly incomplete: IIRC, there should be some four or five data disks for Missing Links. Do you have any other titles from that publisher not on the list?

Nope, I only have SemCalc and Survival Math from your list.

Btw your dump of "Targets - A Number Game" contains some bad sectors inside needed files. If someone finds a second dump, we can repair it.

Indeed, it would the best initial idea to get them to Farb and get a perfect dump made of them, they will also get preserved and passed on to Atarimania as well making a double record.

The Software Preservation Initiative have all the tools to do the dump and have already preserved a huge set of titles..

Really nice folks too..

Paul.

Thanks for the endorsement, Paul. :-)

• Like 1

Are the Sidney Groffman optometric programs included in the part of the list that hasn't been posted yet? I have these titles listed from when the full suite was posted on Craigslist in 2010; IIRC they're all carts:

Computer Orthopter and Perceptual Therapy programs designed by Dr. Sidney Groffman:

Auditory Visual Integration
Computer Peg Board
Diagnostic
Directionality
Perceptual Speed
Pursuits
Spatial Orientation
Tachistoscope
Therapeutic (includes red/blue Random Dot Stereogram)
Visual Coding
Visual Concentration
Visual Motor Integration
Visual Scan
Visual Sequential Memory
Visual Thinking
Visual Tracing

Are the Sidney Groffman optometric programs included in the part of the list that hasn't been posted yet? I have these titles listed from when the full suite was posted on Craigslist in 2010; IIRC they're all carts:

Computer Orthopter and Perceptual Therapy programs designed by Dr. Sidney Groffman:

Auditory Visual Integration
Computer Peg Board
Diagnostic
Directionality
Perceptual Speed
Pursuits
Spatial Orientation
Tachistoscope
Therapeutic (includes red/blue Random Dot Stereogram)
Visual Coding
Visual Concentration
Visual Motor Integration
Visual Scan
Visual Sequential Memory
Visual Thinking
Visual Tracing

That's quite an interesting set of carts....Hope they get dumped...

Farb and I agreed the Atari Software Preservation Initiative would be the team handling originals from now on. For copied stuff, scans or other material, feel free to get in touch with us. Allan is usually the man for that but you can just post here, we'll see what the easy route is anyway.

Thanks for reminding us of the optometric programs, we'll add them to the list in the next few days.

--

Atari Frog

DjayBee, Music I and III were also re-released by Sunburst Communications (but, it seems, not the second part!).

Hope we can find another Targets if our copy is broken, we'll update our database accordingly.

I'm unable to check this right now but, IIRC, the APX releases of MECC programs come unprotected and have a specific DISKNAME.DAT file. The Atari versions don't have it and are protected.

--

Atari Frog

@Tempest and @Brentarian,

Thanks for offering up your disks for dumping. I don't know if you've sent those disks out yet or not but would you consider letting the Atari Software Preservation Initiative dump them as well?

I sent mine out to be dumped this week (mine is a tape). I'd hope that AtariMania would share the tape file with you, no need to keep it all on one site.