IGNORED

Toki for the 7800 PAL / NTSC Edition Cartridge POLL

Willard

216 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred Version of Toki

• NTSC
    • PAL

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The sound doesn't slow down in the PAL version. As part of the conversion, the game's static framerate was changed to a dynamic framerate. The game mixes it's game logic with it's DL building, so something had to give.

That said, the in-game music isn't stellar, even in PAL. As Trebor said, the music can be turned off independent from the sound effects.

Here's the PAL in-game music, for your musical enjoyment and ring-tone needs...

toki-pal-in-game-music.mp3

...I stopped it shortly after it started looping.

• Like 2

I bet that could be tweaked to sound better. It sounds like they are doing some kind of modulation that needs to be toned down a bit.

Edit: It reminds me of the type of TIA sound effect used for an engine sound. I wonder if it is a TIA distortion mode or some kind of modulation they are attempting.

The music suffers from a few different issues that cause most of the tune to sound muddy.

1. A lack of note envelopes.

2. The composer's desire to fill in all of the silence.

3. The composer's desire to stick to short bass notes, which makes pitch relation difficult for most people. (some of those notes are 4 waves long)

4. Using one voice for music and another for sfx, rather than a multiplexing engine.

Here's the waveform visual, which illustrates the above nicely.

post-23476-0-20701400-1464286553_thumb.png

The original composer might have been planning an upgrade. We'll likely never know.

The goal of this conversion project was just to make a very good and playable proto available on NTSC, rather than upgrade sprites, sounds, etc. IMO experiencing the genuine proto warts-and-all is more interesting than a homebrew+proto hybrid would have been.

• Like 4

Looks like the sound code is simple/compact. Could it be moved to the beginning of the vertical blank so it doesn't vary with the frame rate and not significantly affect the graphics? Then it could at least have a constant tempo. This change would be consistent with the spirit of the release since it would actually be closer to the original PAL version.

The whole, shoulda, woulda, coulda, needs this and that needs to be saved for a new thread when and if the owners of this decide to release the source code and allow others to hack it up and make it better and or add new features can go nuts!

I get the desire to dig for reasons as to why devs did this that and the other but lets just let these guys release this game in its as natural as it could be released state and enjoy and be thankful that they are taking the time to do so.

Quite a few Proto owners are not as open and not willing to share their finds, lets be thankful for the ones who like to share with the community and be fortunate to be able to play these lost games.

Not trying to white knight anything just see a lot of chit chat here about lets make it better NOW before we even get to sample it first!

/off the soapbox!

• Like 6

Looks like the sound code is simple/compact. Could it be moved to the beginning of the vertical blank so it doesn't vary with the frame rate and not significantly affect the graphics? Then it could at least have a constant tempo. This change would be consistent with the spirit of the release since it would actually be closer to the original PAL version.

The music code is intertwined with the SFX code, so it's not simple and compact. The game never waits for vertical blank, but rather tracks the visible screen zones via an index that's updated during NMI. Various routines switch the bank, which makes relocating them problematic because they'll glitch the screen if executed at the wrong time. The SFX+Music routine is one such routine.

I'm not looking to take on major rewrites as to how the game display is managed. Save that for SuperToki ExtraGoodPlusEdition or whatever, where someone can add Pokey sound, updated graphics, and all that jazz.

• Like 2

If I have a PAL capable monitor (which I do), and a UAV board in my 7800 giving me s-video, can I play the PAL game in my NTSC console?

Sorry for the noob question. My 7800 has been boxed, anxiously waiting the XM upgrade.

The original composer might have been planning an upgrade. We'll likely never know.

The goal of this conversion project was just to make a very good and playable proto available on NTSC, rather than upgrade sprites, sounds, etc. IMO experiencing the genuine proto warts-and-all is more interesting than a homebrew+proto hybrid would have been.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Someday I wouldn't mind trying SuperToki ExtraGoodPlusEdition or the like but to me a big part of stuff like this is experiencing what wasn't but almost was.

• Like 3

If I have a PAL capable monitor (which I do), and a UAV board in my 7800 giving me s-video, can I play the PAL game in my NTSC console?

Sorry for the noob question. My 7800 has been boxed, anxiously waiting the XM upgrade.

The PAL Toki will technically play in your NTSC console (it's signed) but it won't display correctly. The Maria chip in the console is responsible for how many lines are in a frame, and how many frames per second are drawn.

Playing the PAL version of the game in an NTSC console will cause prominent glitching *and* music slowdowns.

• Like 1

Looking good. I would want a NTSC cart as well. By the way, being that this is a complete beta does that mean it has an ending after the final boss is defeated? :)

Looks like the NTSC version is winning the polls by a HUGE margin.

Edited by Tartfox

The PAL Toki will technically play in your NTSC console (it's signed) but it won't display correctly. The Maria chip in the console is responsible for how many lines are in a frame, and how many frames per second are drawn.

Playing the PAL version of the game in an NTSC console will cause prominent glitching *and* music slowdowns.

If I have a console modded with the Euro OS from Best Electronics, would I be better off opting for the PAL version?

If I have a console modded with the Euro OS from Best Electronics, would I be better off opting for the PAL version?

The OS/boot-ROM doesn't set the video characteristics, which is the key factor here. Those are hard-coded in Maria and some other components. Stick to the NTSC cart.