IGNORED

Toki for the 7800 PAL / NTSC Edition Cartridge POLL

Willard

216 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred Version of Toki

• NTSC
    • PAL

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Only one in existance, I think Trebor owns it, but I am getting old and can't remember. :ponder: ;)

The only cart that is 1MB for a single ROM.

This maybe a dumb question...

But how does the music output thru the Tia chip what format or programming was needed.

This maybe a dumb question...

But how does the music output thru the Tia chip what format or programming was needed.

A value of $00 to $0F in the Volume register moves the speaker from in = $0 to out = $F.

Different values created from "digitizing" sound into one of 16 values, 30 to 60 times each frame, ideally a value every scan line (even in overscan and Vblank) recreates the sound by vibrating the speaker through the volume register.

• Like 2

A value of $00 to $0F in the Volume register moves the speaker from in = $0 to out = $F.

Different values created from "digitizing" sound into one of 16 values, 30 to 60 times each frame, ideally a value every scan line (even in overscan and Vblank) recreates the sound by vibrating the speaker through the volume register.[/quote

OK that's how Tia makes sounds but how do you take a song and put that into code?

Different values created from "digitizing" sound into one of 16 values, 30 to 60 times each frame, ideally a value every scan line (even in overscan and Vblank) recreates the sound by vibrating the speaker through the volume register.

OK that's how Tia makes sounds but how do you take a song and put that into code?

I use a Python script I found in the Blogs here that takes an 8-bit mono 4,000Hz wav file and packs 2 nybble values into one byte.

Antic Magazine has a circuit for Atari computers and code to digitize mono audio played into the paddle pins, where the volume voltage translates into a paddle value, which then gets shrunk to the 0-15 value.

Audacity and also a Mac/Linux command line program can make a wav file into 4-bit sound. But you then need to code how to pack / unpack the output and code how to bang on the volume register.

I'm sure there are other ways.

I searched around a lot, but there's not too much written about 4-bit sound.

There's even 1-bit sound, often called "squeakers", which I haven't figured out yet.

I use a Python script I found in the Blogs here that takes an 8-bit mono 4,000Hz wav file and packs 2 nybble values into one byte.

Antic Magazine has a circuit for Atari computers and code to digitize mono audio played into the paddle pins, where the volume voltage translates into a paddle value, which then gets shrunk to the 0-15 value.

Audacity and also a Mac/Linux command line program can make a wav file into 4-bit sound. But you then need to code how to pack / unpack the output and code how to bang on the volume register.

I'm sure there are other ways.

I searched around a lot, but there's not too much written about 4-bit sound.

There's even 1-bit sound, often called "squeakers", which I haven't figured out yet.

Interesting!

Only one in existance, I think Trebor owns it, but I am getting old and can't remember. :ponder: ;)

The only cart that is 1MB for a single ROM.

*Shakes Magic 8 Ball*...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-8lMyshslg

..."YES".

Your memory is just fine. :)

Best recording I could do for now. I'll try to upload a better quality version down the road.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not saying this is the case with TOKI, but one of the problems that prevent the release of unreleased prototypes is the fear that the prototype owners have of a) the drop in value; and b) no longer being the only person to have something no one else has.

Klax, Sirius, Plutos, Chuck Norris: Missing In Action etc were all out there known about but unreleased years before someone generously released them.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone in AtariAge is quietly sitting on a copy of the Atari 7800 version of Electrocop.