IGNORED

Lynx Rechargeable Battery Pack

earthphoenix

Hej Guys,

I already searched, but did not find a corresponding post.

The Gameboy and Game Gear both have rechargeable battery pack packs. When exchanging the inside, they run almost forever. For the Lynx I only found a battery pack in which you could pack 6 large cells, but it is not rechargeable.

My question:

Has somebody ever either filled the Lynx pack with rechargeables or "converted" a Game Gear pack to suit the Lynx (or does the GG pack fit already?)?

I recently changed out the NiCad battery pack in my Game Gear PowerBack with a rechargeable RC car battery pack. It works well, and I've been considering pulling the PCB and connections from another PowerBack (if I can find one cheaply) and fitting them inside the Lynx with a battery pack. I think it all would fit in the bottom part of the Lynx if the plastic battery compartment were removed.

yeah, i was thinking the same direction. but the lynx bp has 6 d cells if i remember correctly. would the pcb controlling the charging from the gg bp suit a) charging 6 d cells instead of the rc pack, and b) provide the correct output and c) does the plug fit?

i also replaced my gg and gb bps. they work awesome with the rc packs. so, something similar for lynx would really be nice. i just lack the knowledge in electronics...

yeah, i was thinking the same direction. but the lynx bp has 6 d cells if i remember correctly. would the pcb controlling the charging from the gg bp suit a) charging 6 d cells instead of the rc pack, and b) provide the correct output and c) does the plug fit?

i also replaced my gg and gb bps. they work awesome with the rc packs. so, something similar for lynx would really be nice. i just lack the knowledge in electronics...

The power plug wouldn't fit the Lynx. I was going to solder the power out from the PowerBack to the terminals on the inside of the Lynx.

Though the Lynx battery pack may use D cells, the actually battery compartment takes six AA batteries. I think a NiMH rechargable battery pack would last a while, especially if paired with McWill's LCD screen.

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, tripled79 said:

I just use rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries in the Lynx. Works fine for me.

Those do work.  However, I have found rechargeable batteries are slightly larger in diameter and thus make closing the lynx battery door difficult and stresses the door's retaining tabs.  I simply built my own battery external battery pack that uses Ni-Mh batteries.  They last a long time as well.  

On 5/25/2016 at 4:17 PM, 108 Stars said:

There is one, actually. It was made by Naki. I wraps around the back of your Lynx, and plugs directly into the AC port, so no cables hanging around.

post-21561-0-92046300-1464211042_thumb.jpg

This power pak has been discussed in the past.  Most of the Ni-Cad batteries are long past their useful life.  Someone here did rebuild one with newer batteries.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, gilsaluki said:

This power pak has been discussed in the past.  Most of the Ni-Cad batteries are long past their useful life.  Someone here did rebuild one with newer batteries.

The question is, WHY?  Just put 6 rechargeable batteries in the lynx.  These packs existed back then because most people didn't have experience with rechargeable batteries and the cells and chargers were expensive and frankly, not that good.  The typical NiCad AA cell had 1 amp hour and a high rate of self-discharge. 

Today you can pick up 6 AA cells for around 20 dollars with a charger, though needing 6 batteries, you would have to charge them 4 at a time.  Today, you can get 2.5ah low self-discharge batteries.  Even if you don't use your lynx that frequently, you don't have to worry about the batteries being dead because you haven't used it in a month and a half.

Also, if you do decide to go the pack route, the built in charger in the pack is fine with NIMH batteries.  They are more or less the same as nicad for charging purposes.  Just don't let them sit on the charger for a long time.  I use a really old nicad battery charger because it only charges at like 100ma (easier on the expensive Eneloop cells I use).  It's basically an overnight charger for the old 1000/1600 EverReady rechargeables.  When my batteries go flat, I will let them sit on it for 24 hours.

9 hours ago, christo930 said:

The question is, WHY?  Just put 6 rechargeable batteries in the lynx.  These packs existed back then because most people didn't have experience with rechargeable batteries and the cells and chargers were expensive and frankly, not that good.  The typical NiCad AA cell had 1 amp hour and a high rate of self-discharge. 

Today you can pick up 6 AA cells for around 20 dollars with a charger, though needing 6 batteries, you would have to charge them 4 at a time.  Today, you can get 2.5ah low self-discharge batteries.  Even if you don't use your lynx that frequently, you don't have to worry about the batteries being dead because you haven't used it in a month and a half.

Also, if you do decide to go the pack route, the built in charger in the pack is fine with NIMH batteries.  They are more or less the same as nicad for charging purposes.  Just don't let them sit on the charger for a long time.  I use a really old nicad battery charger because it only charges at like 100ma (easier on the expensive Eneloop cells I use).  It's basically an overnight charger for the old 1000/1600 EverReady rechargeables.  When my batteries go flat, I will let them sit on it for 24 hours.

Also discussed here in the past, the rechargeable batteries have a slightly wider diameter.  Don't ask me why, but they do.  As such, once you put them in the Lynx Battery compartment, put the battery cover back on, it is hell trying to get the battery cover back off.  The wider diameter applies pressure on the battery door, making it a bear to remove.  An external power pack then makes sense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Also discussed here in the past, the rechargeable batteries have a slightly wider diameter.  Don't ask me why, but they do.  As such, once you put them in the Lynx Battery compartment, put the battery cover back on, it is hell trying to get the battery cover back off.  The wider diameter applies pressure on the battery door, making it a bear to remove.  An external power pack then makes sense. 

If you remove the rubber pad on the battery cover, it will slide off easier with rechargeable batteries installed.

2 hours ago, mmbe said:

If you remove the rubber pad on the battery cover, it will slide off easier with rechargeable batteries installed.

Yeah. I am sure it will come off easier without the rubber pad on the inside of the battery cover.  Didn't want to alter the Lynx.  So, my home made battery pack works perfectly. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, gilsaluki said:

I know some of the rechargeable cells stretch the specifications a bit, but it's not like you cannot get ones that follow the specification.   In my experience, it's the ones that push the capacity that don't follow the specs properly.  Maybe try 1500mah cells or even 1200mah cells instead.  I think Ray-O-Vac makes a 1200mah low self discharge cell. Maybe that one will work.