IGNORED

! FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Repository

2 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I have the same issue on my Tiny-99/4Av2 computer. I have to remove the SAMS RAM IC  to make it work (sometimes). Really not practical ! Since I near only use this computer (rarely the real TI-99/4A computer) I don't play anymore with Tutankham, saddly. I hope that one day someone who has good skill in disassembling and ASM programming will find a solution.

Maybe a small button or function to enable/disable the SAMS RAM is possible ? Not only for Tutankham, but also for upcoming "things" ?

So the problem turned out to be my speech module.  If I have that plugged in Tutankham won't work.  If I take it out it works just fine.  Of course it still won't work with the 32K RAM either.

Does anyone know if Tutankham has issues with the speech module or if it's just my module?  It might need a better cleaning or something, but it did work with other games so I'm thinking it's more of a Tutankham compatibility issue.

It is a strange problem. In Classic99 I can't trap any reads or writes to expansion RAM or speech, yet people get strange results. Maybe someone who knows the MAME debugger can try there, but I can't catch whatever weird behavior this game has. The curse of the mummy, I guess!

• Like 1

Actually... now that I pay a little more attention, Classic99 is telling me the likely problem (though I didn't have this debug the first time I looked at it.) Tut does most of its VDP access with interrupts enabled - meaning any of it could be randomly interrupted by the console routine, which would in turn mess up the VDP address. This is probably the cause of the random crashes and why it seems like the hardware you need to remove varies - it's luck of the draw how long it will run for.

I only have an ubergrom image.. what image are people using to run this? (Edit: found it)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

If my theory is correct, this version should fix it. Patch notes are in the text file included for those curious... Tut does turn off interrupts sometimes, but I am not sure why because they don't protect VDP accesses. However, since the game turns them back on so often, I was able to patch the VDP address set functions to turn interrupts off, and let the normal game flow turn them back on. Classic99 doesn't complain any more with this version, so see if it helps on hardware?

TutPatched.zip

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tursi said:

If my theory is correct, this version should fix it. Patch notes are in the text file included for those curious... Tut does turn off interrupts sometimes, but I am not sure why because they don't protect VDP accesses. However, since the game turns them back on so often, I was able to patch the VDP address set functions to turn interrupts off, and let the normal game flow turn them back on. Classic99 doesn't complain any more with this version, so see if it helps on hardware?

TutPatched.zip 44.65 kB · 12 downloads

@Tursi, is this zip for Ubergrom or Finalgrom?

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

@Tursi, is this zip for Ubergrom or Finalgrom?

This is for the FinalGROM but be sure to rename the files.  I used TUTC and TUTG.  You may however wish to go in with a sector editor and edit the FinalGROM's menu description of the game as it lists as, "PARKER BROTHERS' GAM"

Edited.thumb.jpg.b8ff58aeea8299ee8ff88ef36b2aa1dc.jpg

Edited by Omega-TI
Added photo after sector edit

Aw, that's too bad. I was really hopeful I'd found something.

It doesn't touch addresses in expansion RAM.

It doesn't touch the speech synthesizer addresses.

It doesn't crash under emulation.

And it's not a hardware device.

Pretty baffling why it has problems on hardware (sometimes? Omega doesn't have problems with the UberGROM version. But ISTR that other people did.)

53 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Pretty baffling why it has problems on hardware (sometimes? Omega doesn't have problems with the UberGROM version. But ISTR that other people did.)

I'm not having an issue with either the UberGROM version or the FinalGROM version.  I do not remember which program it was, but a few years back one program did not run properly unless I ran a program that cleared some memory addresses first.  It had something to do with the initial state of the memory on startup, but once I ran the program everything was cool.

As you can see in the video below, there does not appear to be anything wrong with the .BIN image...

Edited by Omega-TI