IGNORED

! FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Repository

Two of my favorite next-generation games are Jet Pack and Darkstar (I have lost so much sleep with this one!), both of which require Turbo Forth, and while not being quite what you describe (requiring TurboForth to be on the FR99 rather than a custom FR99 version of the games themselves), they are two examples of using discs with the FR99.

I would be lost without E/A5 II and TurboForth on my FR99 because of the great disc based games I continue to play (finally made it onto the WarZone II high score screen - hell ya! God bless every coder that adds/added high score disc-saves to their proggies!!!!!)

Would anyone be interested in a new class of programs under a new subheading for this thread?

The idea would be for programs that require disk support or interaction. Why?

a) Programs load much faster from the FR99 than from disk.

b) Eliminating the main program (usually the largest) provides more space on the disk for actual work.

Some programs that come to mind could be ones like Page Pro 99 or TI-Artist. Of course any 'package' uploaded would require a ".DSK" image in the ".ZIP" file, preferably with the original E/A 5 program removed.

I made some but as cart in 64KB ,

It works great and faster to use :)

I modified one of the Freddy carts from DSK1. TO IDE1. and loads from IDE CF card instead

post-30998-0-81629600-1471816104_thumb.jpg

post-30998-0-26398500-1471816145_thumb.jpg

Edited by mantadoc
  • Like 2

The size of the Freddy program is 8960 bytes. The total size of the data files on the disk is 11264 bytes. That's only 20224 bytes - that would easily all fit in the cart even without compression.

This might be above the pay grade of most people here... except you and maybe a couple of others.

This might be above the pay grade of most people here... except you and maybe a couple of others.

Perhaps... but is it really worth publishing all these titles just for the sake of saying they are published?

Sorry, I'm not trying to knock your fun, but at the same time, it's kind of disrespectful to the original authors to be publishing broken versions of their code. That was why I spoke up about my own above, but it applies to anyone's in my eyes.

• Like 3

wow .... would be nice without need of a disk :) can you make this ?

I realize I should put my money where my mouth is, but I've done that already above... this isn't my software and it could take a fair bit of time to reverse it. (It might be easy, it might take a long time).

I guess I just don't understand if you're going to work with games that won't work without the disk anyway, why not just load up an EA#5 loader... is it really saving anything?

I should just let you guys play, I guess... I'd just hate to see titles fade into obscurity because they got separated from their data files. :)

• Like 1

Since I opened my big mouth, I started on Freddy, but I didn't get it done. I'm trying something new and writing a replacement DSRLNK that others might be able to use to more easily port disk to cart (it'll still require some disassembly effort, but patching gets easier if it works). But I've run out of time tonight and will try to finish up tomorrow.

• Like 3

Wow, I really killed this thread. Sorry guys... wasn't the intent.

Anyway... here's Freddy. I've included my work folder that shows the pieces involved. In addition, the 'unpack.a99' file includes a fake DSRLNK (although I need to be a bit smarter about placement of it). The idea is you can just repoint a program's DSRLNK vector to it, create a small table of files, and it should go. (This is indeed all I've done for Freddy). It works, at least so far as LOAD opcodes. I wrote OPEN/READ/CLOSE and defined what they look like, but I haven't tested it nor written a tool to create the packed data. Freddy only needed LOAD. Maybe it's a starting point for something bigger.

And if the effort doesn't interest you, enjoy the result. ;)

post-12959-0-55249300-1472020522_thumb.jpg

freddy32KB8.zip

• Like 12

Wow, I really killed this thread. Sorry guys... wasn't the intent.

Bullpoop brother. We're simply running out of software to convert.

As Ω stated earlier, we're approaching 200 FR99 compatible programs...there were only 150ish carts released by TI and maybe 100 (+/-) 3rd party carts, so the thread was bound to slow down.

With the 32k limit and no GROM emulation, I never thought we'd reach a full SD, but here we are.

Anyway, makes little sense kicking yourself when you've done nothing but instruct and assist. Perhaps JediMatt42 and Mantadoc were the mad rippers that kept the party going until the wee small hours, you brought the mix and munchies! (I brought the doobs, but that's just what Canadians do)

• Like 2

Anyway, makes little sense kicking yourself when you've done nothing but instruct and assist. Perhaps JediMatt42 and Mantadoc were the mad rippers that kept the party going until the wee small hours, you brought the mix and munchies! (I brought the doobs, but that's just what Canadians do)

Doobs and mickeys! ;)

Quick question, I haven't had the time to assembly mine yet. Way too much going on until I get through a major project in October. Are the ROM images that are scattered throughout the thread available in one archive somewhere, or do I need to go through all 22 pages? thanks

Quick question, I haven't had the time to assembly mine yet. Way too much going on until I get through a major project in October. Are the ROM images that are scattered throughout the thread available in one archive somewhere, or do I need to go through all 22 pages? thanks

Post #1 of the thread is constantly updated with links to the post that has the ROM images. There are also an archive of ROM images for use with the FR99 on the WHTECH FTP site.

• Like 1