IGNORED

! FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Repository

It's been a while I looked at this thread and ... Holy cow, you guys are amazing! :-o I cannot believe what kind of programs you were able to convert to ROM cartridge format! :thumbsup:

Once the dust settles, I would have two suggestions, though:

1. Mark the filename if the program requires 32K (I think someone mentioned this before)

There are so many people without 32K who would need this information.

2. Mark the filename if the program was converted from a different, original format (such as GROM, disk image, side port cartridge, etc.)

This will keep historians happy and make people aware of what the original experience was.

I'd do (1), but I cannot do (2) when I haven't created the image.

• Like 2

Thanks all, for the conversions! Will have to give some a try soon. :)

As for the file names, I believe in the KISS rule. I get the 32k denomination, but the other "codes" just seem to confuse, especially for what's supposed to already be formatted for use with the FR99.

re: suffixes, prefer all lowercase myself.

Repeating my recent suggestion, is there some reason to use uppercase suffixes? If you're considering a naming convention, my plea is to keep with one style of writing. For you people with Windows this may be a matter of how things look better, but Unix-like OS like Linux or MacOS do care about cases, and *.BIN != *.bin != *.Bin.

Repeating my recent suggestion, is there some reason to use uppercase suffixes? If you're considering a naming convention, my plea is to keep with one style of writing. For you people with Windows this may be a matter of how things look better, but Unix-like OS like Linux or MacOS do care about cases, and *.BIN != *.bin != *.Bin.

I fail to see the problem. I have to work between *nix and Windows environments all the time, obviously the former which is case-sensitive the latter which is not. (Not to mention working with those and AmigaOS.) As well, MacOS is NOT always case-sensitive and it is not the default in OSX HFS+. In any case, it is a small matter of effort to ask *nix to list or sort in an insensitive manner.

Heck, for that matter, a quick one-liner will fix a local directory copy.

Heck, for that matter, a quick one-liner will fix a local directory copy.

Yes, but why need to fix a format that we set up ourselves?

I just wanted to make people aware that using different cases may affect some people (a minority, obviously), while others treat it like a stylistic issue, which is understandable when the system is case-insensitive. Local renaming may have the unwanted effect that you end up with several versions of the same file with different case (like FILE.BIN and file.bin, which are different names in case-sensitive systems).

As for the file names, I believe in the KISS rule. I get the 32k denomination, but the other "codes" just seem to confuse, especially for what's supposed to already be formatted for use with the FR99.

Well, I was thinking of something simple, like attaching "_32k" for programs that require 32K, and "_conv" or "_converted" for converted programs.

Another reason I would like to flag converted programs is that some conversions alter the original program is more or less subtle ways. GROM conversions, for example, suddenly have an additional menu step to go through. "_conv" would indicate that the program might not show 100% of the original behavior.

And I like the C, D, G, 3, 8, 9 convention, as that indicates if the image is split, does contain GROMs, or is inverted. This isn't required as long as a file is known to be good for the FlashROM, but if you get a file out of context you won't know if it works or not.

• Like 1