IGNORED

Which ST Ports do you MOST want to see carts of?

Rick Dangerous

Which ST Ports do you MOST want to see carts of?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which ST Ports do you MOST Wants to see carts of?

• Action Fighter
    • Arkanoid II: Revenge of DoH
    • Barbarian
    • Black Lamp
    • Bubble Bobble (Arcade)
    • Buggy Boy
    • Carrier Command
    • Cybernoid - The Fighting Machine
    • Cybernoid II - The Revenge
    • Deflektor
    • Fantasy World Dizzy
    • Fernandez Must Die!
    • Frontier: Elite II
    • Gauntlet II
    • IK+
    • Joust
    • Klax
    • Llamatron
    • Mercenary: Escape from Targ
    • Metrocross
    • Moon Patrol
    • Outrun
    • Return to Genesis
    • Revenge of the Mutant Camels
    • Rick Dangerous
  2. 2. Which ST Ports do you MOST want to see carts of? (Continued)

• R-Type
    • Solomon's Key
    • Spikey in Transylvania
    • Star Wars
    • Starglider II
    • StarQuake
    • Stormbringer
    • Super Sprint
    • Treasure Island Dizzy
    • Virus

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Considering this thread is about games which (mostly) all have downloadable versions, and in fact almost everything I've ever released for the Jaguar has also had a free downloadable version, I don't see why you decided to act so outraged in the first place.

It's not like we're holding the binaries to ransom. If you don't want to buy them (them? It's only Xenon, and I am not allowed to release a free downloadable version, which is why it's not there), then don't.

Please don't crap up this thread (which, incidentally, was not started by anyone with anything to do with the ports)

Really? Where have I in any shape or form criticised you for making this unavailable for the general public? Where did I complain about the price? (Which someone insinuated)

All I ever did was stating that I would not buy a pure ST-port, since that is what I can play on my ST...

Maybe you're coming off in a way that you're not intending.

Are you upset that the homebrew games are already sold out? IE: are you mad at the collectors in general?

I'm super-excited to get them in the mail... I'm both a collector, and a player (consumer).

There are a few games that were sold on CD that... I'm just going to say, weren't my style... so I didn't buy them. But this game is great. I like the game, and really looking forward to the new music with it!!!

But since this thread is temporarily hijacked, I will add in... that I would kill for a re-release of this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHK3HkuBXek[/youtube]

Angry at what? I don't get the question? I don't see myself as a collector, yet, over the years I have probably accumulated enough Jaguar stuff to put most of you "collectors" to shame. It's just that... I got standards... Why buy something I can play on my ST?

Anyway, learned my lesson now. Not going to say shit about anything in this forum again, and my advice to anyone considering to say anything negative about any jaguar realease must be to keep shut. In that way this forum has not changed from a few years back. Different developers, attitude remains...

All I ever did was stating that I would not buy a pure ST-port, since that is what I can play on my ST...

Angry at what? I don't get the question? I don't see myself as a collector, yet, over the years I have probably accumulated enough Jaguar stuff to put most of you "collectors" to shame. It's just that... I got standards... Why buy something I can play on my ST?

Sydney Opera House,perhaps?

My guess is this is some austrailian insult. Well... I don't get it. Have fun. Good luck selling your ST ports. Somehow I am sure you will need it,

There's enough regular crazies in the Jag forum...are even the visitors affected?

For the life of me, I can't figure out your axe to grind here. You bought an ST port, and are now upset you bought an ST port, and can't figure out why anyone would buy an ST port? This has to be the most random, befuddling thread-crap I've seen in a long time.

• Like 6

You are a collector and would spend money on a turd wrapped up in a Jaguar case to get that complete collection.

Just so you're aware, you come across a little abrasive and insulting with these kinds of comments. I only take the time to point this out now as it seems somewhat out of character given what I recall from your previous Jaguar forum posts in the past. The guy doesn't deserve that, he's never been anything but positive in his interactions in this sub-forum, he's no mindless box collector, far form it :/

If you want my money you should be the one motivating me to give it to you, not me having to apologize and excuse myself because I won't buy this or that... :?

Simple solution might be to just ignore the things you don't fancy and pursue those that interest you more - not every release/project/whatever requires a critique, especially one which might be likely to generate ill-feeling and pointless spats. As this thread is a 3rd party voting thread, posted for fun by someone who probably wanted to see which of the "ported" ST games people would like to own, I'd suggest the best plan for someone who can happily play the original games natively might have been to skip the thread and move on.

Now if you desperately do wish to purchase ST games on Jaguar, but only if they are somehow enhanced and "worthy" of the hardware, then by all means open a dialogue with those at the sharp end of the process - quiz them on how feasible it might be. In fact, how about do some research on the process undertaken to allow these binaries to exist and play on the Jaguar in the first place? If you did, I imagine once you have a better idea of what goes on you'd choose not to as you'd realise the fact that these guys got the whole set-up to where it is, making this somehow possible, is pretty damn Herculean in itself. If you then go back and re-read your posts calmly and in this context, I believe you might have a better idea of just how insulting and technically bereft your throw-away comments are.

I don't see why I should be the one defending myself when it comes to the way I spend my own hard earned money. :?

If you want my money you should be the one motivating me to give it to you, not me having to apologize and excuse myself because I won't buy this or that... :?

I imagine for some it's difficult to get a fuller picture without having been on the other side of producing physical homebrew releases. Rarely is it ever a business venture requiring the producers to court the attention of an unmotivated userbase, far from it in fact - it's never about advertising and convincing people to reluctantly open their wallets, it's more about going out of your way to give a large segment of the scene that which they desire and cherish.

As an ST-owning, non-collector you are a minority in an already miniscule user-base, and most certainly not what could be described as the target demographic :) In fact, I find it difficult to see why you are even considering purchasing these games when you can download and play them via skunkboard...

I guess it all boils down to what kind of feedback the developers want.

Developers? Those were the people who created these games 25 years ago... reassess the process here.

It's never fun to hear that what you are doing isn't wanted, otoh, with the collectors here and the small runs of carts they do, they never really risk anything even if what they do is crap.

I understand your point - the Jaguar has seen a number of releases that maybe would have been best left as binaries. But to suggest there is no risk with physical releases is outright wrong. Also, can you see how using terms such as "crap" to describe people's efforts might just be seen as being a bit cuntish?

The producers will always find it difficult to make any real profits. You want crap? Resellers - they take an $80 homebrew and within months have 5 to 10 times their "investment" - that's crap. Zero effort, all the financial rewards. Or how about the dipshits that take games put out for free and sell CDs and bootleg carts - that's crap, too. These are the kinds of things I can see as being worthy of angst, even if I have myself sold on homebrews for more than I paid for them (although it was never a plan to do so at the time, life happened).

Far from everyone here are collectors, quite a few are actually "consumers" that don't buy just about anything with a jaguar logo.

The scene is made up of all kinds of people. On one end of the scale it's collectors, at the other it's gamers. Most active Jaguar fans sit somewhere along this line.

What you fail to understand is that every type of user is important to the whole. Without the collectors, producing physical products in smaller units is more expensive - economies of scale. And without the gamers, who is going to bother creating games just to have them sit unplayed on a shelf?

Thankfully, the vast majority are neither one nor the other, it's not so black and white. Most people play the games and have some level of collecting activity. This is healthy and works to serve the scene as a whole.

--

tl;dr version: My best advice is, if you're going to criticise and put forward negatives, only do so armed with a sound technical understanding of the subject and a practical knowledge of the process.

Binary -> Box -> Profit is derp.

Making demands of producers rather than engaging them positively = silly.

Emoragequit after meltdown - expected.

• Like 12

I don't see myself as a collector, yet, over the years I have probably accumulated enough Jaguar stuff to put most of you "collectors" to shame. It's just that... I got standards...

So not calling yourself a collector but still collecting on an impressive scale, and using the word "turd" makes you... what?

Anyway, learned my lesson now. Not going to say shit about anything in this forum again, and my advice to anyone considering to say anything negative about any jaguar realease must be to keep shut. In that way this forum has not changed from a few years back. Different developers, attitude remains...

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on here, but I think this is another situation where people are unable to determine "attitude" from messages / e-mails. No one here is mad at anyone... no one is mad at you, and you shouldn't be mad at me. I don't own an Atari ST, but I do own a Jaguar, so I'm happy to buy games for the Jaguar that I otherwise probably wouldn't be able to play, or that I'd prefer to play on the Jaguar. That's my take. It's 50/50, collecting / playing.

Xenon 2 is a good game, but what makes this version much better is the improved music... which is half of the benefit of the Jaguar. Just wait for Rebooteroids. It stands to be really awesome though... that's going to be a way better version of Astroids... I'm REALLY looking forward to that.

• Like 1

This is only slightly off-topic, but is Elvira: The Arcade Game worth playing? It's for the Atari ST and looks like neat li'l platformer. I might try and find a DOS copy and run through DOSBox, but I thought I'd throw it out there again that this one still looks interesting to me. = )

Looks kinda 'meh' to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEkIOIkP_4

Well, there weren't many metroidvania-like games on the ST, at least with scrolling (I can only think of the two Turricans except this). So back in the day I really liked it - although it has a small game window it moves smoothly and isn't afraid to fill the screen with particles and explosions. Unfortunately I could never finish world 2 - I would look for a key all over the map but could not find it. Still it kept me entertained for hours :).

• Like 1

I'd like to see carts of Wings of Death, Enchanted Lands and Top Banana.

Can someone get right on those please?

Man, I'm lazy.

If someone came to my house, set up everything I needed to do Atari ST to Atari Jaguar programming changes, I'd do it.

What is it exactly that you're doing? Are you modifying the code at a layer lower than the application level? I mean... are you modifying drivers with the application in order to get them to work with the Jaguar? Do the applications themselves remain the same? Is it Assembly, some kind of C?

Man, I'm lazy.

If someone came to my house, set up everything I needed to do Atari ST to Atari Jaguar programming changes, I'd do it.

What is it exactly that you're doing? Are you modifying the code at a layer lower than the application level? I mean... are you modifying drivers with the application in order to get them to work with the Jaguar? Do the applications themselves remain the same? Is it Assembly, some kind of C?

Oh man, modern 'programmers'...

There is no application level. There are no drivers. There isn't even any assembly.

These titles exist in binary form only.

I perform dark magic, and tamper with forces man is not meant to fathom.

• Like 7

Oh man, modern 'programmers'...

There is no application level. There are no drivers. There isn't even any assembly.

These titles exist in binary form only.

I perform dark magic, and tamper with forces man is not meant to fathom.

Hahah... yeah, well... modern / semi-modern. I used to program in MUMPS and Assembly.

Thanks for the link, looks pretty awesome.