IGNORED

OT 3D print design software question for my fellow 99ers

OLD CS1

I got the bug and have been reading up on some cheap 3D printers to get started. I installed Cura, which looks like it is just a printing/cutting application to drive the printer (which appears to be a bit redundant with so many printers providing card slots.)

For my fellow 99ers doing 3D printing, what program or programs are you using to create your masterpieces?

I got the bug and have been reading up on some cheap 3D printers to get started.

Just in case no one has done it by the time that you get your printer, I want to be at the TOP of the list, so count me as a +1 in the event you decide to make cases for the new Flash ROM 99. :P

• Like 1

I have used Blender (blender.org) with some success - it's free, but not too great for technical stuff, as it is more for games/animation.

Lately I've been using Tinkercad.com as I find it very intuitive. That and it is web-based, so I can work on things from anywhere.

Personally, I use FreeCAD and OpenSCAD. Both are free. FreeCAD has many modes and operates like a standard CAD program. OpenSCAD is a 3D compiler based on a textual description language. An OpenSCAD document specifies geometric primitives and defines how they are modified and manipulated to render a 3D model. It takes some getting used to, but can be quite powerful.